Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Butson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Acosta

The 12.30 Saturday game is nearly always crap and devoid of atmosphere. Not the best slot for a broadcaster to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Agreed, it’s a game that should be at 8pm on Saturday imho instead.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Premier taking PLP wrap around coverage for the early game, which is unusual.

More significantly no reports of CAS problems or the like today - yet! Just as well they don’t need the red button today…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I thought it was better when it was the Premier League coverage for the first 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Acosta

Respectfully must completely disagree. It felt like i was watching robots. No personality in the presentation.

Nice to hear Tyler on Premier tonight via the World-Feed.

It is indeed, his departure from Sky after three decades was so abrupt, nice to hear him still doing the world feed.

On PLP - we see their studio programming so rarely in this part of the world that it’s a curiosity, more than anything else. We probably won’t see it again this season. I think from the brief moments of it I saw it works better than LaligaTV, which is (or was before the recent rebrand at any rate) corporate to the point of a fault - that music which blared in the background all through the studio shows was so annoying (though replacing it for Blur’s Song 2 perhaps not the best move!).

And looking at the next batch of rights that Sky & TNT have acquired, looks like we won’t see these world-feed studio and commentary feeds on Premier when Amazon in the UK have them all on Boxing Day for example.

It does look like a one game only at 3pm on Saturday that will be made available. Hope I’m wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 TonyK45

The new TV rights don't kick-in until August 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

The way Sky bundled Tyler out without any ceremony during the off season was very poor. It was probably time for a change, but he was a huge part of Sky’s football coverage for 30 years and deserved a decent send-off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭robwen

He missed the final few weeks of last season due to illness & in fairness he's 78 & long lost the enthusiasm for the job, Sky cut plenty of the older higher earning guys Tyler Shreeves Stelling Souness etc. for younger cheaper models

We might go back to TNT and Premier.

When does the carriage deal with Sky for TNT/Premier in the RoI end I wonder? Does it go until the Summer of 2025 when the new tv rights for the Premier League begin?

I think so - previous deals, for TNT/BT at least have always been tied to the PL rights cycle, and I suspect Premier is the same. (Eir actually said as such in one of their annual reports a few years back when they had the deal).

The good news: twelve games in the FA Cup on Premier this weekend, and they appear (from Palace v Everton last night) to still have access to ITV’s wrap around coverage.

The bad news: on a weekend that’s very light on the rugby front with just one game in the URC, there’s none on Premier (not even that one game, which is Sharks v Lions - it’s on TG4 for those interested), despite there being a full programme in the Top 14 and an open prime time Saturday window with no other live sport, they’re not even showing highlights till Monday. Weird. (C’mon Premier, give us Toulouse v Lyon at least ….)

FA Cup exclusive fixtures (not on BBC or ITV)

Tonight 7:15pm Brentford v Wolves Prem 2

Tomorrow

3pm Stoke v Brighton Prem 1

3pm Gillingham v Sheffield Utd Prem 2

5:30pm Middlesbrough v Villa Prem 2

Sunday 2pm West Ham v Bristol Prem 2

All UK TV fixtures (except Shrewsbury v Wrexham which is on S4C) are also live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Thanks for heads up on Premier coverage as I have it via 'other channels' here in N. Ireland and have no EPG.

Quick correction - Middlesborough vs Aston Villa is live on BBC1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

With The FA Cup taking up two weekends in January (6th & 27th) and with the Winter break now on, being split over two weekends (5 games each weekend - 13th & 20th), this means there's no PL on Premier Sports at all this month. AFAIK this is the first time there's been no PL fixture at 3pm on a Saturday for a full calendar month

Sky and TNT have already picked their February TV games but Premier Sports stil haven't published their fixtures on their website or on the PL website. They will probably announce them next week, rather than highlighting the lack of PL coverage until Saturday 3rd February. Their last match was Saturday 30th December

Post edited by mackersdublin on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Are the not showing the games on 30/31th?

• Advertisement

No TNT have that entire round.

Think they’re missing a trick by not showing Everton v Palace which isn’t on UK TV tonight. In fact I’m not sure why they’re not showing two games tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I know this covers UK viewers only and FTA Satellite viewers here however Viaplay Xtra, which used to be called FreeSports, is closing down on Sky UK and VM UK from next Thursday; the 25th of January.

Somewhat related and I hadn’t seen this article before but it contains the interesting point that O’Rourke/Setanta Sports apparently are paying only 20% to buy back Viaplay UK compared to what they sold it for. Fire sale indeed!

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/setanta-and-premier-sports-founder-doubles-down-on-investment-in-joe-media/

FA Cup Fourth Round - Premier Sports exclusive fixtures:

Fri 7:45pm Chelsea v Aston Villa Prem 2

Sat 3pm Sheffield Utd v Brighton Prem 1

Everton v Luton Prem 2

Sun 2pm Watford v Southampton Prem 1

Mon 7:30pm Blackburn v Wrexham Prem 1 (that one is on BBC Wales also)

Its also another weak weekend for the rugby but Premier are carrying the sole URC fixture live (Bulls v Lions, Prem 2, Sat 1pm) as well as one Top 14 live game (Racing v Toulouse, Sun 8pm Prem 2).

UK TV fixtures for the 4th round. Quite different from what Premier are showing.

To be clear Premier are showing all those games too except Bournemouth v Swansea - I was only listing the games not on UK national TV, in other words fixtures that are only on Premier and not on BBC or ITV. Premier have access to ITV coverage for games on ITV, other games get the world feed (though some will have Premier’s own studio show.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

February's Premier League fixtures on Premier Sports (3pm):

3rd Newcastle v Luton

10th Liverpool v Burnley

17th Burnley v Arsenal

24th Man Utd v Fulham

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The WWE rights are going to Netflix in the UK and presumably Ireland from January of next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Netflix have worldwide rights for RAW, it's going to be there in all their territories.

Advertisement