Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ionity charging network

Options
1858687888991»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Get signed up with ESB eCars. They'll send you out an RFID card free of charge. That will give you access to a lot of chargers. You can then just top up with €20 and have it set to top up automatically when the balance drops below a fiver. After that it's a matter of choosing another provider or two. Most of them will work on an app, but it's often advised to get their card or fob because of the danger of not having coverage for the app to work on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭garyskeepers

Thanks. I took that advice and signed up with ESB cars and topped up by 20… Ok, that's my emergerncy charging sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Tesco seem to have a fair few ESB chargers. The two near me both have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bannerman1969

I have Ionity Passport for €5.99 per month - suits my needs. Charged tonight in Cashel and app states €0.50 per kWh. Was normally €0.53 so slight reduction there. Not sure if the standard price has fallen also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Pay as you go price is currently €070 per kWh in Cashel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Looks like it's 70c across the board in Ireland

Not exactly a fortune saved but it's nice to see prices going down for a change

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

The ionity web site says €0.73. That's the confusion so. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

I see construction has started at Charlestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

Also showing on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭innrain

I'll stop by on Tuesday on the way to work and report back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭innrain

Indeed the location is fenced off and there was a small digger and a couple of guys on the groundwork. I've recorded with the car but had no time to check back the clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭denismc

I used City North a couple of weeks ago and was charged €18 but according to Revolut my payment got reverted today.

Does that mean I got a free charge or can they take from my card at a later date?

I presume you paid directly through the Ionity app, and didn't use a subscription or charge card?

Normally for me there's a €1 pre authorisation to start the charger which gets reverted in a day. Then within a few minutes of finishing they charge the full amount

The merchant is always Ionity GmbH Irish branch

When a merchant charges your card they need to confirm the transaction. If they don't it'll be reverted after a week or two automatically

So for example Amazon debit your card when you place an order, but they don't confirm it until the order ships. If it takes a few weeks to ship then your bank reverts the transaction

I'm guessing for whatever reason Ionity forgot or deliberately didn't finalise the transaction

It's possible they weren't able to confirm the final amount of energy supplied in time or something like that, and so didn't want to charge you a potentially incorrect amount

I'd say they'll debit your card later, they probably audit the charging sessions every so often to make sure everyone paid the correct amount

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Buttros

I had a payment using revolut debit card reverted last week as well. Looking into it. My last two charges and last two monthly payments all reverted. Still paying 50c a kWh. I've used ionity 6 times since I got the car in Feb. First 4 went through okay. Last two reverted. All used the same card. I don't think anything has changed at my end.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭vinniem

Just checked, same thing happened to me last time used Ionity Kill North.. Used €12.30 in energy. The €40 pre authorisation on Google pay always reverts within 10 days. But looks like the power consumed amount reverted also 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 21,741 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Guys. Shussssssh.

This has been a thing for a good while.

Snapped a few pics of the upcoming Finglas hub this morning

Still pretty early phase, doesn't look like any ground works are finished yet

Plenty of car dealerships nearby if you wanted to browse for an upgrade while charging

Also McDonald's, KFC and the shopping centre beside it, so pretty decent location overall

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It can be a pain in the hole though getting from there back onto the N2 outbound/M50 though…… the lights don't stay green nearly long enough to get enough cars out when it's busy…..

This site will be a taxi rank.. but still, great to see the level of expansion from everyone (now that theres money to be made)… would just like to see them try to do a bit more on the motorway network..

Yeah it's not exactly ideal, but not the worst. I guess none of the M50 exits are going to be great for traffic on the city side

We'll soon have hubs on most of the major routes in and out of Dublin (M1 at Clonsaugh, N2 at Finglas, N3 at Blanch and Mulhuddart, N4 Certa Liffey Valley, N7ish at Applegreen Ballymount)

So that's a big improvement at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Could possibly get out quicker if you head straight out via Lidl at the roundabout rather than the N2 Junction opposite the Toyota garage.

Nice to see some almost proper hubs coming online around the M50 for sure.

• Advertisement

New Ionity tariff (passport) from tomorrow from as low as €0.42 kWh for €11.99 per month. The existing 0.50kWh for €5.99 per month still availible also. Great for anyone taking the car to France for the summer as as low as €0.33 there with the €11.99 subscription. Cancel then when you return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Likely worth it if you charge a fair bit at Ionity. A spreadsheet will be useful to calculate the breakeven points for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I've tried the Ionity Passport thing recently, and I have to say it's an absolute pain in the **** balls.

The Ionity app requires you to hold 40EUR on a card on activation (perfectly normal and fine) but at Ionity CityNorth I have never ever gotten this to work. It charges my card (and holds the 40 for a few days) but then I just get a spinner and nothing happening for several minutes until I lose patience and just use my BMW Charging card.

Does anyone use this regularly and have you ever had the same issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭talla

Thought it was just me.

Have tried using the Ionity app three times, previously had no issues with the Elli card when using the drive highway tariff gave significant discounts.

In City North on both occasions, it puts a hold on Apple pay for €40. Then just sits there "waiting for connection" when plugged in. First time i tried, it eventually started charging after disconnecting charger and reinserting a couple of times but the app itself never actually recognized a charging session. Second time I eventually gave up and just went up the road to Tesla Supercharger @ Castlebellingham.

Same thing happened when I tried in Kill Northbound but had to revert back to my old Elli card to eventually get a charge.

All three times the €40 hold on Apple pay was refunded within 24 hours so the first charge in Ionity City North ended up being free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Megastreisand

Yes I've used ionity Kill North regularly since Feb last year. I never had any issues with the BMW rfid card but once the 1st year free subscription was up I started using the app with ionity passport. It always takes at least 2 go's for the charger to connect and when if fails on the first go the halo turns red and it becomes unavailable for at least 1 minute. I've had similar problems at Kill South and City North but I charge there far less often. It's reminiscent of the older chargers at exit 14 which I grew to hate and it's come to the stage where I've cancelled my passport subscription with the view to using Applegreen in Port Laois despite the higher cost.

I think there's a mention upthread that the ionity servers are based in Europe and the connection from here is poor. As far a payments go my debit card is registered on the app and I'm not aware of any €40 'pre authorised' deductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭talla

I have my visa debit card registered in the app for the passport subscription, but when I choose the Credit Card option in the app to pay, its making me enter all the credit card details from scratch(another stupid feature or bug) so I just select apple pay instead so that's why the €40 pre-auth is taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭wassie

Its worth giving feedback via the contact section in the app in case the developers aren't aware of these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Interesting, 3c/kWh isn't going to change the world. However 30kWh at the regular rate would cost you €21 but if you paid for the €5.99 month subscription 30kWh would cost you €15. Similarly if you are filling more than 43kWh it is cheaper to buy the €11.99 subscription - €30.10 Vs (€18.06+€11.99)

30kWh and 43kWh wouldn't be a major fill these days

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭cc

There some good deals going for the first month of membership to the new plans for any upcoming summer trips:

The €11.99 (passport power) for €7.99 and the €5.99 (passport motion) for €3.99. Still can cancel after the 1st month.

Id normally stick to superchargers on a euro trip but Ionity are normally better placed just at motorway service stations, this is very handy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

For sure. I only included the full price. But at current rates for Ireland

FIRST MONTH DISCOUNT

Energy Acquired - €0 plan, €3.99 plan, €7.99 plan

20kWh - €14, €13.99, €13.87 - €3.99 plan most suitable

29kWh - €20.30, €18.49, €20.17 - €11.99 plan more suitable than free plan but €3.99 plan still most suitable

50kWh - €35, €28.99, €28.99 - €7.99 plan most suitable

SUBSEQUENT MONTH DISCOUNT

Energy Acquired - €0 plan, €6.99 plan, €11.99 plan

30kWh - €21, €20.99, €24.59 - €6.99 plan most suitable

43kWh - €30.10, €27.49, €30.05 - €11.99 plan more suitable than free plan but €6.99 plan still most suitable

75kWh - €51.80, €43.49, €43.49 - €11.99 plan most suitable

Only including the 29 and 43 figures to avoid confusion from earlier figures. In reality they are pointless calculations

TL;DR

Fill amounts for lower and higher plans

First month - 20kWh and 50kWh

Subsequent months - 30kWh and 75kWh

Advertisement