Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ionity charging network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,867 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah all the existing sites are slated to be upgraded to 6 chargers this year

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Any of these in Ireland free today?

🥳 The hunt is on! Until the 4th of April, you can charge your EV for less or even for free at selected IONITY stations across 23 countries!

📍 Where, you might ask? You will find a hint in our IONITY app. At these stations, there's a four-hour window sometime between 9 am and 5 pm (CET) each day, during which IONITY PASSPORT holders can recharge at no cost**, and IONITY DIRECT* customers pay only 20 cents/kWh.

📷 Have you already discovered one of the 161 mystery stations and charged for less or even for free? We'd love to hear about it! Share a photo of you and your EV on Instagram or Facebook using the #IonityEaster and don’t forget to tag us.

📱 Get IONITY PASSPORT >> https://ionity.eu/en/network/access-and-payment#price-selector

*Only applicable for App customers, not available via NFC payment terminals. This action only applies to customers charging via IONITY app and/or having an IONITY charging contract (PASSPORT). It is not applicable to customers from 3rd party charging services/apps. **Please note: A pre-authorisation amount of 40 EUR will be temporarily blocked on your credit card despite reduced/free charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Doesn’t seem to be any “hint” on the Ionity App for Ireland. Where did you find the info above ?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

• Registered Users Posts: 11,546 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Do Ionity have that many sites in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Plug and charge is only available through a few manufacturers charging plans and Elli charge for those willing to pay €5/month

• Registered Users Posts: 27,817 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone use City North in the last few days? Heading from Wexford to Newry today so thinking of a break around there to stretch the legs and might as well grab a quick charge at the same time.

For those with the Passport subscription if I sign up today can I cancel straight away to give the 30 days notice and only get one month of the subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭wassie

If you don't plan on using Ionity regularly, would you not even bother with subscription and just go direct? You won't make any savings until after 30kWh anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Used Ionity At Circle K East of Athlone yesterdat. Started on charger 4, would not pre-autorise using google pay even though the first time I used Ionity that was the only way it would work as it would not take the BOI credit card. This time it took the credit card and pre-authirisation but would not start charging. After about 5 mins of faffing around some kind person came over to me and said someone else could not get it to work.

Lickily No 3 was free so moved car and it worked. Grabbed coffee and few bits and came back to car to see charging had stopped at 82%. No reason given just thanks and good luck, had loads at that stage to get to home place and back to Dublin so it was fine. Another guy had pulled in and was fighting with no 4 so told him our story and to jump in when we pulled out.

Thats my third time using Ionity and twice its been a mess with the app and payments. Fortunately we don't use them regulalry but they are the worst of any public chargers we have used. I'd consider myself reasonably techy and they freak me out they could easily put someone off EV usuage altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's really annoying that Ionity only allow you to report charge point issues via a telephone line. There are 2 out of the 6 at CityNorth that have had some sort of issue for a couple of months now, but I don't think anyone is reporting them because of this.

I certainly am usually too busy trying to get the car plugged in to remember to call them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭denismc

I have had issues in the past when using the Ionity app, now I just use a third party rfid card and it seems to work every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,546 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Which card?

Any, Chargemap, Chargemyhyundai , Elli, Electroverse, basically any provider that offers a Rfid card.

I'm not sure why the app causes so many issues, as I understand it the app connects to a server somewhere in Europe which then connects to the chargers so maybe there is some issue with lag or connections timing out!

One of the easiest ways to deter complaints is to make the complaints process an absolute pain

My biggest issue with service providers is not being able to talk to a human, so I actually like the fact you can call someone rather than deal with a chatbot. On the few occasions Ive had to call ionity, there was no wait time…..unlike ESB ecars.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭garyskeepers

They don't seem to. Im in artane and they are miles away from me. Up towards Naas one way and Stamullen the other.. Not for me

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The 1 place you don't need them is where you are… so in your case they are pretty much exactly where you want them… (far away)

If you don't have home charging, then you'd be charging on the eCars AC charger in Artane Castle SC, or fast charging at the eCars site in Northside SC, or EasyGo across the road from Northside in Lidl/The Range

What’s the deal with options for a Hyundai owner to get a good rate on Ionity?

My sister is picking up a 2nd hand Kona tomorrow, and she might be a very infrequent user of Ionity, so without any subscriptions is there any option to get a reduced rate if ever using Ionity?

The cheapest subscription that I know of is Ionity Passport which ,,€5.99 a month and that gives €0.20/kWh off.

Chargemyhundai are €7.99/month and give €0.15/kWh off so not as good.

Chargemyhundai have a RFID card which I have found to be more reliable than the Ionity app.

Elli is marginally cheaper at 71c/kWh (never used the service myself) vs Ionity Direct 0.73c/kWh. May be others I'm not aware of.

• Advertisement

ah grand so…. So not worth the subscription if she was looking to only use maybe 2-3 times per year….

If she needs to use it I’ll suggest a ChargePoint card…

Has anyone in the vicinity of Waterford checked up on the Ionity station at Holy cross?

The one owned by the Waterford wacko 😂

I spotted a photo from August on Plugshare that construction had begun, wondering if it's any closer to completion

Or did Ionity fall afoul of the owner perhaps? 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

Bit of upgrade work happening to the shop deli area (Mace I think) but not much regarding new chargers from what I've seen from passing it, as no need to go in obvs 😂

My sister down in Waterford just got her first EV yesterday… so might ask her to pop over and have a look….

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tlaavtech

Looked last week as I drove past. Nothing obvious from the road and I don't think they have started yet, but lots of construction going on so difficult to tell!

Two new 300kW chargers installed at the CircleK about 2km further towards town (opposite former Crystal site), but don't think they are live quite yet. Will double the number of DC chargers in the city when they go live 🙄

Wasn't one of the ecars units broken for ages, so it would actually triple the number of chargers?

I think the chargers are around the side beside the shed which is possibly the owners house, so might not be visible from the roadside

Can't wait to see the reviews from some German tourists just off the ferry who have to deal with the abuse from the owner 🫣

Thanks Andy.

I actually still don't know how to charge in public places and I don't yet have a home charger. I have done zero research and don't really know where to start.

At the moment, I charge in work, that's plenty. But in emergency or if i need to go across to the west or anything, im screwed.

Stupid question,, can you rock up to a charger in tesco or NC Shopping centre or whatever and pay with yer debit/credit card?

There are a billion threads to read trhough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭zg3409

No. 99% of chargers don't take credit or debit cards directly. I suggest you bring a public charging cable with you everywhere and learn how to use local chargers before you really need to. There are lots of different brands , apps, systems, charger types. It is a learning curve going to EV.

Off i go to find out what a "public charging cable" is :)

Thanks Zg. I'll pull into tesco on the way home and see what it says on the charger

• Advertisement

you should have a type 2 cable somewhere in the car… looks like this. This (blue one) is your AC charging cable to use when slow public charging (if you need to use your own cable it’s mostly AC slow charging)

when you are fast (DC) charging, the cable is always attached to the charger.

(Some older ESB DC chargers also have a cable on them with AC (43kW), but they are for older Zoe’s mainly… (they will work, but only at your cars max AC charging speed (7kW, 11kW or 22kW)

Advertisement