Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ionity charging network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

That's a decent point, it should be social media training 101 for companies that cover the UK and Ireland.

I think it was Ben & Jerry's brought out an ice cream flavour "Black and Tan" here. It did not last very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭tlaavtech

Applegreen pre-authorisation now just €1 according to one of their charger install supervisor type people I was talking to over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭crl84

If you scan the QR code on the unit, you can just Pay As You Go.

I don't recall any €20 charge, but if there is, it's a pre-auth that will be refunded if you haven't used €20 worth of charge.

The app does a €0.00 pre-auth to a credit card too, but my AIB card keeps rejecting it, so I just use the QR code, put in my card details, and then it charges me whatever I use....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭denismc

I also use chargepoint, they have a monthly subscription for 12 Euro which gives you Ionity at 0.628/kWh.

I use this when I have a lot of traveling to do like this week when I did over 1400km.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,876 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Do you not have a Ioniq 5? Charge My Hyundai is €0.73 on Ionity I think and you get a €0.15 discount per unit if you pay €7.50 subscription a month.

• Advertisement

Afaik as I know with the "Charge my Hyundai" subscription your are locked in for 12 months, unless they have changed it?

Edit, looks like it is monthly.

No it's always been monthly. We Charge from VW used to be an annual subscription unless that's changed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I have the basic "flex" tariff (no subscription).

If I want to sign up to the monthly subscription, is that a separate RFID card, or can I convert my existing flex tariff to a subscription and continue to use my existing RFID?

Your current card will work. On your monthly statement/invoices you'll see the reduced rate.

Thanks, got that sorted, where the tariff change could only be done on the website and not in the app. I'll try it for a month and see if it's worth keeping it.

• Advertisement

You need to top up by 50 kWh per month to break even on monthly fee. Basically one charge.

I'm pretty sure you can remotely start a charger using the app as well so there's nothing stopping you using your sub for multiple people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

I’m heading to Dublin tomorrow and ABRP is suggesting I pull in at Kill North to use the Ionity charger there.

Is there anywhere there for a decent bite to eat? Have Mrs. S and mini S with me, and they can be a bit fussy.

When I was there in the summer there was just a basic enough Deli but they were expanding it at the time.

Afaik it is run by Circle K and their fare really is basic enough.

There are a lot more eating options at Junction 14 which isn't too far away but it's ESB chargers if that's ok.

Yeah, was thinking of that.

But from what I can make out, the WeCharge plan we’re on with VW has Ionity DC at 22c per kWh cheaper than ESB.

ABRP is saying we’ll be taking on nearly 40kW, so that’s the guts of a tenner more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Megastreisand

Kill North was majorly revamped sometime around August. There is a Supermacs there which is pretty decent and a separate Circle K Deli. Not as extensive a choice as Jn14 but I'd take ionity charging all day long over Esb at Mayfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

Polestar provide a nice deal on IONITY for 35 cents per KW. Coming to an end soon I think and going to 40 which is still good.

manufacturers need more of those deals to compete with Tesla on the after sales front

Thanks for that.

Was Kill South the same setup? I can adjust the route to use J14 on the way up, and it’d be Kill South on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

Kill South wasnt as big last time I was there but theres 3 (or is it 4) chargers and they are very reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

Any sign of Athlone getting upgraded to 6 chargers?

The spaces are there for the additional 2 and given how busy the site is they would be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

40c/kWh is very good, I'd also like to see ionity and other operators offer charge rates that are equivalent to or better than home charging rates but with a much higher monthly standing charge, I think it would help to sway those without dedicated parking to join the EV revolution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

4 chargers, I couldnt get no4 to work but no3 was on free vend!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Megastreisand

Kill South is more basic- there's a self serve coffee machine and a deli.

[Mods can you change the link if this is behind the IT paywall?]

Circle K is to expand the number of high-powered Ionity electric car charging points available at its service station network, adding new chargers at six sites around the country.

The operator said it will add 12 Ionity fast chargers, which have a 350kW capacity, to the Circle K network, with new points at service stations in Kill, Athlone, Gorey, Meath and Cashel. That will bring to 36 the number of Ionity chargers currently installed at Circle K forecourts around the country.

“Our partnership with Ionity and the latest expansion announced today emphasise Circle K’s commitment to strengthening our EV charging offering to our customers,” said Jonathan Diver, Fuels Director with Circle K Ireland. “With the growing preference for EVs among Irish motorists, Circle K is actively adapting to meet this changing landscape, preparing for the future now and beyond.”

The move comes as Circle K continues to roll out its own branded electric car chargers, as part of a €7 million investment to bring EV chargers to 30 of its sites over the next 18 months. Chargers are already open at motorway service stations in Fermoy, Carlow and Athlone, with a further four in Artane and Ashtown in Co Dublin and Gallowshill in Co Waterford awaiting power connection.

The number of electric cars being registered for the first time in Ireland rose 45 per cent last year, according to figures from the Central Statistics Office, with drivers opting for electric and hybrid vehicles over diesel cars. A total of 117,424 new cars were licensed for the first time in 2023, with electric cars accounting for 19 per cent of that total. Diesel cars fell to 22 per cent.

However, the charging network remains an issue for some drivers. Circle K said it there were some obstacles to installing the chargers, citing costs and grid connections. “Despite the challenges posed by the high costs and lengthy lead times in securing a grid connection, our team is working hard to provide more high-power charging points for customers throughout the country,” Mr Diver said.

“We will continue to engage with the relevant stakeholders to try to bring these important services to the market quicker to meet the needs of our current and future EV customers, and call for the introduction of grant support for EV infrastructure developments, especially considering extremely high costs in securing a grid connection.”

Ciara O'Brien IT 18/01/24

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

More of a general question about Irish chargers, is 150kW charging on 400V 150kW charger a thing here, or are the fast ones 800v+? what do tesla and ionity use?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

At the Carlow circle k there are 3 high powered chargers.

This afternoon there was one car charging at one. The other one had a Peugeot people carrier (diesel) parked at it. The third one had a transit van parked longways in front of it.

It's great to see the new chargers being installed but my god the behaviour from some ICE drivers is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Did you say it to anybody working there? Should be fines issued or let the air out of their tyre or something

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ionity use 800v 350kW theoretical max, tesla use 400 volt but if a Tesla plugs in they can use non standard higher current on Tesla cars giving a higher peak power (250kW) than most 400 volt cars can take.

I may be corrected, in general these high speeds are theoretical peak and may only be for a few minutes of a full charge cycle. Many sites may have grid or sharing limits and people may not even be able to get these peaks even when the car is capable and ready to take it.

Do we know exactly where these new ionity sites will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Bannerman1969

Ionity now 0.53 cent per kWh with a monthly subscription which has been reduced to €5.99 per month. Appears to have changed overnight. Good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is a completely irrelevant and pointless exercise, the voting.

Not relevant here.

Advertisement