Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ionity charging network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They'd save more than just by using their granny cable instead.

I think its few people will go to that effort to save a couple of euro on monthly subscription but at the same time use (or need) an expensive public charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Always remember, if you spend more than 5 mins to save €1 then you're earning at less than the minimum wage

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

That's my automation/home assistant out the window then 😂

Might as well just sit and watch YouTube instead 😉

(Jokes on them, I do both at the same time 😆)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

How would a granny cable work out on the road though?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 soitissoits

Just reporting that Julianstown Ionity chargers don't seem to be de-rated anymore. I got a generic email from Ionity on Friday basically saying it's my car's fault but they've taken the charger I was on and another offline. So I presume that they may have been faulting.

I dunno will someone that values frugality that much go on a road trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

Was at Ionity Belfast last Thursday at 16:50 and left at 17:05. Traffic back to the M1 heading south was a nightmare.

25.35KW cost €22.60 with BMW charging. Charging on the road is gone expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Bannerman1969

Hi. Trying to sign up to Ionity Passport via the app. Reduction of .20 cent per Kw. Looks for pre-authorisation of my bank card. I go through that process and when I return to Ionity app it states "there is an issue with my request" and won't allow me to sign up.

I've done the following :

Cleared cache

Reinstalled app

Used different bank cards from different banks

Set up a separate and new ionity account using different email address.

Tried app on a different phone - same issue each time.

Emailed Ionity - no reply

Anyone have similar issues. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 soitissoits

If you're using an Android phone and have any sort of adblocking browser or software installed it blocks the return message from the Ionity payment site to the App to say you've paid. So you need to use a browser like Chrome without any adblocking on it or white list the Ionity site and app in your browser's adblock.

That's got to be a violation of GDPR or something, they can't just decline service because you're using an adblocker 😬

I doubt that's the reason. It's likely just a technical glitch.

Still no joy. Might try on wife's phone with her bank card and see. A right pain. I've 6 trips to Dunlin in next 3 weeks so need to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I'm not sure which route you are going or which Ionity you are planning on using, but give some thought to your plan b alternate location in case you are travelling at peak times. For example, Ionity Athlone can be a no go area on the Friday / Monday afternoon of a bank holiday weekend unless you want to queue for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭crl84

Charging prices in NI (and GB) seem to be universally higher than the already high prices in the south.

Tried her phone which is an iphone and mine is Samsung. Tried her bank card and still no joy saying Ionity server issue. The issue appears to be that I cannot preauthorise my payment card

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭wassie

Check your bank also. Maybe the payment card has a block if it has multiple failed attempts - Ive had that before. Once they cleared it, authorisation went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

I was trying this as well at the start of February and never got it resolved - this was the generic rubbish i got from Ionity

We suggest trying the next few tips before subscribing to the PASSPORT, and hopefully this will allow you to continue.

• Make sure you have the latest version of the app
    • Make sure you have the latest version of the mobile operating system
    • clear the cache of the IONITY App (Can be done in the settings)
    • All the permissions added that the application requested (can be checked in the settings as well)
    • No security hardening measurements (like company phones have certain policies etc.)
    • access to a strong internet connection.

Tried multiple phones - multiple emails and multiple cards. Took them an age to respond to my ticket as well - was pretty fed up about the whole thing

-Toppy-

• Advertisement

Success.

Just an update on Ionity Passport issue. Ionity emailed me back overnight. I clicked on my name and into my profile. I amended my address slightly . I had had my full postal address in but I changed it slightly - took out the town I live in and just left the County ect. It worked then straight away. Thanks for all the suggestions. Strange fix but sorted now.

I've started to use my shortened Eircode address (not the eircode) as when I use the full address, some authentication system, and customer support, can't see to understand an address can be written a number of ways. I assume they are looking at the eircode description, not the one I registered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭crl84

So if you put in the eircode, it gives a certain address (which works for Ionity) but may not be the written address you used to use for years before eircodes came along?

And if you used the written address you used to use, and added an eircode in, the system seems to check the address against what the eircode says the address should be, and rejects it?

Eg. For years I used to write my address as:

123 Estate

Maynooth

Co.Kildare

But now when I put my eircode into forms, it often fills the address as:

123 Estate

Maynooth

Naas

Co.Kildare

W23XYZ

If I remove Naas (which I usually do for deliveries as I'm obviously not living there), Ionity would reject it?

No idea about Ionity I've not used it. Just noticed it on other systems. Especially utilities and services..

I regularly had an issue with a place named after a saint with broadband providers

eg 21 St Colemans Avenue would be rejected but 21 Saint Colemans Avenue was fine

True, although since most of the competition have caught up on pricing then you could argue they were keeping the prices artificially low

If 73c/kWh is what it takes to support a higher quality charging network then that's what it takes

I suspect the Ionity Passport is controlled through the app, so if you login on multiple devices it might work. I imagine there's a limit to one active session, and possibly geofencing so you can't start a charger in Belfast from Dublin

Cheers, so it's entirely through the app?

I wonder can it be used for plug and charge as well 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Thanks for this tip, had exact same problem, changed town to county and it worked great

That's great. It's a very good deal to be honest especially if you travel off peak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

Tried ionity athlone today with plug and charge on my ID.4. Worked first time without any issues.

Still only 4 chargers in athlone , surely the +2 are needed there now given how busy it gets?

Advertisement