Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Get yourself a foam roller or firm ball like a hockey ball, and target the areas around the hip, specially the TFL anf Glute Med. Lying on your side and supporting yourself as best as you can with your other leg, apply as much pressure as you can ( suggest 6/7 out of 10) on these areas, there's no need to consistently roll, just apply pressure until you feel the tension ease out. Do it every other day for a few days it should help to ease the pain. Of course this doesn't get to the reason why you got it or may not prevent it coming back, but it certainly will help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Have you seen a Physio and had that diagnosed Mantis?

The reason I ask is I suspected I had that myself in January after some Dr Googling. Symptoms matched.

My physio actually diagnosed an inflamed meniscus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

No haven't seen a physio or had it diagnosed yet, I'd be fairly sure that's what's it is but I may be wrong.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

With the obvious disclaimer that I am not a physio, I had IT band issues and did these exercises with a resistance band (fairly old video!). Tried to do it twice weekly and mostly succeeded, it doesn't take long. I found a good test to judge progress was my ability to do a single leg squat (of a sort!). Before starting the exercises I could do one on my right leg but my left leg was very noticeably weaker, after a good stint of doing the exercises my form on my left leg got a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Can someone recommend good physio in Galway? Struggling with pain for month now so need to get it checked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭JKerova1

I had been planning to run the Cork City marathon in June. I did it last year in 4.08 so was hoping to do it this year under four hours. Training had been going well until about two weeks ago when I got a dreadful chest and throat infection. I'm finally over it now after two antibiotics. I've just started back running now and did a local four mile road race on Thursday in just over 29 and half minutes. This is 2.5 mins slower than the same race last year. I am absolutely shattered after doing the race and am not sure at all now about being able to run a marathon in six weeks time. Do you think it's possible I could come back from this and build up enough strength to do the marathon in June? What ever notions I had about breaking 4 hours are gone now, I just want to complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Escapees

Of course you could run the marathon - that's if you do really want to do it. Running the recent race though wasn't the best idea at all, given that you had been sick and not training properly for weeks beforehand. Nothing can be judged from that race, apart from learning not to do something like it again so soon after being unwell. That, if anything, was the biggest risk in terms of recovering from the infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭JKerova1

I had actually signed up for a sixteen mile run tomorrow too which I was even contemplating doing! I don't think I will though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

With the heat we had last year for Cork, that 4.08 was probably a 3.58 in normal conditions. It was brutal that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I can’t see anything in the Running Events forum - has anyone ever run the Barcelona half marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I did it this year and loved it. Nice course and it is really well supported

Thanks a mil. Well done.

Thinking of doing it next year.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hey everyone, I recently recovered from a fibula stress fracture and returned to running a month ago after a four month absence. My question is if it's normal to occasionally feel pain at the site of the original injury when scaling up the mileage?

It's generally been fine, maybe the occasional niggle, but I went for a five mile run yesterday (my longest since returning to running and longest for six months) and it's sore today. Not very bad, but feels like I need to rest it for a few extra days. Anyone have a similar experience?

Edited to add: I've been following a back to running program my physio has devised for me and I've been sticking to it, haven't had any crazy increases in mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Ceepo

While I wouldn't say it's "normal" it wouldn't be uncommon to have some small reaction when people start back into activities again after any injury. While your return to running was physio led and was the right way to get back into running, it has to be said that the best any physio can do is go off best practice and guidelines. But not all people fall into these recovery periods and sometimes plans need to be amended. You should also take into account that the muscles in that leg will also have a 4 month holiday and will also need time to adjust back to the training. I'd suggest to use caution and listen to your body. You're the best judge of what feels right or not. There's no harm in stepping it back for a few days or taking a few rest day's. Might be no harm to mention it to your physio again when/if you're back with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Did you get an MRI on the leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TheRef

I recently ran the Connemara full and planning on starting P&D 12/55 program in August for DCM24. That leaves me with near 3 months to get ready for that block. The last 6 months have been averaging ~80k/week without any real structured speed work.

So, I'm thinking of doing the 8k-10k 45-57 miles program from Faster Road Racing (P&L).
    Any thoughts if a 10k program like this would be the best to help improve my pace before starting a specific marathon program?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kd82

Hi, How have people handled 2 marathons close together? Any tips? I had Dublin number but was trying to get a Berlin entry so was thinking train for Berlin and then try enjoy Dublin after as a not flat-out expectation. I loved the buzz of it last year. I didn't get a Berlin entry so now have joined a friend for a Valencia one which is 5 weeks after Dublin. I'm wondering do I

- use Dublin as a long run but target Valencia
    - Target Dublin as normal and hope I recover in time to be able to race Valencia also?
    - Forget Dublin and just go for one in that period?

My issue with dropping Dublin is that something could happen prep wise for Valencia and it doesn't go great and I'd regret not having done Dublin. I'm leaning toward the second option.

I've seen people do Berlin followed by Dublin and have been able for both but just wondering if people have experience or advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I've seen people run Dublin and raced again for Clonakilty Marathon 4 weeks later. I think the 2nd option is very doable, especially as Valencia is very flat.

If PBing is a factor, option 1 is definitely worth considering as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Hi, I'm looknig to complete a marathon before I'm 40, so probably October when weather cools down a bit. I ran the wexford half marathon last month and was 1:49. I ran 25km a couple of weeks back keeping to a 5:30 per km pace. I can't find a marathon organised that suits me time wise as i'm away for Galway marathon. I'm thinking of just doing 42.1 laps of a local park. That way i could leave water out for myself, if I get injured I can stop and not be in the middle of nowhere, it would be about a 1.3km run home in case I need toilet (reducing lap number by adding this to the run) Would the last 10 laps kill me mentally without a crowd or other runners to motivate? I'd hope I'd be stubborn enough to keep going, listening to my music.

Just wanted to see if anybody has done something like this before. I know a lot of ultra runners would run long distances alone all the time but I would be on the more casual end of running. I'd do a proper training plan, it would be just that on the day I'd do my own little race. I like the idea that there'd be no hassle getting there, wondering where to go. I just turn up and start without any waiting around concern for parking etc. It would be very monotonous but it's only (hopefully) about 4 hours of my life.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Does Dublin marathon suit you? It is on the end of October. It is sold out now but they will be selling entries again in a month or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TheRef

There is a marathon in Kilkenny in September if timing worked, but I'd also strongly suggest Dublin if you can get an entry. There should also be "The last long run - DCM 24" which is looped runs in Donadea Forest. Its not a race so you can run however long you want. They will have pacers for 2 hours. Water on course, so might work.

Doing 42 laps of a local park sounds like an incredible mental achievement, but I'm not sure I would be able to do it as my first marathon attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭event

I think the last 40 laps would kill you mentally, never mind the last 10. Thats madness IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I'm going to preface my comment with this: no-one here is going to be able to tell you what's right for you. We don't know what performance elements matters to you, or how you would mentally cope with your proposal. Everybody is different, there's no "one size fits all" approach to running.

With that said, I'd tend to agree with @event, it's likely not a good approach (to put it a bit more mildly). Couple of reasons:

• Performance - 95% of runners (completely made up figure, but I believe it's somewhere in that ballpark) will perform better in an event scenario than a solo run. The crowds, the fellow runners, the option of pacers, the adrenaline etc. Don't underestimate the benefit of these
    • The mental element - running a marathon to the best of your ability is a difficult task under the ideal circumstances. A marathon isn't (or at least, IMO, it shouldn't be) just a long training run. I've run many 30+km training runs. For lots of them, it would have been relatively easy to tack on 10k or so to have run 42k. But that's not a marathon. I'm not pushing myself to the max on a training run, I'm not racing. If all you want to do is cover the distance, just go on a long hike. At least you'd get to see interesting things.
    • The "opt-out" - having the temptation to just easily drop out at any time is going to be a absolute killer, mentally. You'll tell yourself you can just have another crack at it in a few weeks, or that today wasn't your day, or that you've picked up a injury (regardless of whether it's true). When the going gets tough, there's a huge mental difference between being at an event and doing a solo run
    • Verifiability, or bragging rights - this may or may not be important to you, but if I'm talking to someone who says they did a marathon, and then they reveal they ran 42 loops of a park for it, I'm going to roll my eyes (internally, at least). Marathons are measured and timed by third parties. Unless you have an independent measurement that says your loop is 1k (to an acceptable standard), you're just guessing - consumer-grade GPS is not accurate enough to measure something like that. What if the lap is only 950m? That's only a 50m difference, yet over 42 loops, that's enough that you would barely break 40k, well off an actual marathon

Maybe none of these things matter to you. Maybe you don't care about performance, you know you can handle the mental elements, and you don't care what anyone else thinks about your marathon, but if any of them do matter, you should find a marathon race to enter

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Yeah this might come across as a bit snotty or something, and I am far from a fast runner. I dont mean it to, its just my opinion.

But for me, there is a difference in running a marathon and running 26.2 miles.

Its like scoring a goal in a game or in training. One of them counts and the other…………

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Thanks guys for the feedback, maybe it is a bit ridiculuous 😀

Edit: I did find in my half marathon though I got carried along by the crowd and the occasion and started too fast…was cruising till about 13km in, so the occasion can be a disadvantage when not used to it….as normally I'm used to running alone!

I agree that whilst for safety reasons I don't want to be forced to stop 20 miles away from home, the converse is true that it would be very easy to stop….that was one of my fears all right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Longford Marathon is late August. Might suit

Ye won't have to stop. Do the training and you'll be dead on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It all depends on what you want to get out of Dublin and/or Valencia. Unless you are very very well trained or not ambitious about times, two marathons in five weeks is not a great idea. Valencia is much flatter and faster than Dublin. If it was me, I'd be targeting that for the performance. If I really cared about that performance, I'd be running a half marathon five weeks earlier, not a full. So if you want a result on the faster course (Valencia) and must run Dublin, expect to compromise.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kd82

Thanks @Murph_D and @corcaigh07 . Originally the Valencia was to join a friend and enjoy a race abroad but since people have told me it's a flat course and one to target. What you've said makes a lot of sense, If I race Dublin, Valencia time would suffer so I guess I'll kick off with the plan for both and make a call closer to the end of the Dublin transfer period. Dublin was my first last year and I did love the buzz, not sure I'd want to miss that again for the sake of a potential faster Valencia. Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement

I was in your position last year wanting to tick the marathon box before the big 4-0! I'd recommend trying to get an entry for Dublin when the transfer window opens in the summer. The atmosphere, the crowds, the buzz, your fellow runners, the tshirt and medal. It was a fantastic experience for my first marathon. As Event said above - there's difference between running 26.2 and running a marathon.

Advertisement