Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Antipathetic

I'm seeking advice on how to incorporate strength training into my current routine. I began running again approximately 9 weeks ago, following a Garmin coach plan, which has me running 4 days a week. I haven't set a specific time goal, so my runs are based solely on distance without a minimum pace requirement. Throughout these runs, I've aimed to maintain a zone 2 heart rate.

Now, I'm considering adding bodyweight exercises to strengthen my core and for aesthetic purposes, as well as injury prevention, especially since I'm over 30.

For my running regimen, which muscle groups should I focus on during my bodyweight workouts? And how many days per week should I incorporate strength training?

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As your running load is quite light (and sensible!) your weaknesses won't have revealed themselves yet, and whilst you might be one of those freaks who never gets injured, prevention is better than cure. So a worthwhile investment might be to book a physio session to assess your current weaknesses and recommend some basic exercises. A good physio can do this in a few minutes. You don't need to be doing this regularly, just to get an initial steer.

I think you might want to drop your "aesthetic purposes" goal, or rather think about it differently. If you're running well you'll feel great about yourself, whereas if you're injured, sitting on the couch and stuffing your face with junk food and beer your mirror will hate you. Practically though, the type of loadings required to improve musculature are a bit different from those required to increase strength and resilience. I have never finished a set of physio-prescribed exercises and felt "pumped". If you're bothered about excess fat, sort the diet out.

Anyway, with bodyweight exercises look particularly for things which are asymmetrical e.g. bridge knee extensions, side-lying hip abductions, single leg calf raises, although there are also important symmetric exercises like squats (and deadlifts, when you get to weighted exercises). Strong hips make healthy knees and strong calves make healthy ankles and feet. Hips and calves.

This is just my personal experience having spent way too much time in physio over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

Hi - does anyone know if Marley Park actually closes at 6pm this weekend? The sign at the gate says closes at 6pm but not dark till after 7 so just wondered. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Wottle

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Could anyone recommend a pair of carbon plated runners?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Nike alphafly

There's a great thread in gear and equipment on shoes, you might find interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

The problem with asking people to recommend a pair is what suits someone else might not suit you. I can't wear the Alphafly for example, hate them but I love the Vaporfly.

The Endorphin Pro is a good all rounder maybe and suits most people's feet.

Personally I love the Adios Pro range from Adidas but know plenty who don't.

Thanks yeah, just looking for a few options as we approach the Christmas bargains time of the year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

If your not in a hurry and you want a pair of Nike vaporfly,alphafly etc the best bargains are had black Friday. Don't be tempted in the week leading up as they will drop in price to entice. You should get half price supershoes that day

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bor83

Hi folks.

I am relatively new to running and am currently doing a Hal Higdon plan to get to 15km by mid December. I have signed up to do the Gaol Break half marathon in March. Considering I will have the 15km and the related training plan under my belt should I maintain those distances until March or am I better off starting a half marathon plan in early January, even if that means starting a plan with shorter distances for the first few weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Butterbeans

Hi and welcome.

Your plan to build to 15k for December will be a great base to start your training for the half. Think that race is end of March so you'll have about 12 weeks from January for a plan. The first few weeks won't have runs longer or even up to 15k I'd imagine but yes, pick a HM plan that suits you and stick to the distances stated. When the mileage does start to ramp up for the longer runs you'll be in a good position to take them on.

It's regularly repeated on here, but very important, keep most of your running easy, which will allow you to do the speed sessions and/or tempos properly.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Thanks Butterbeans.

I understand no HM plan will have anything near 15k for a good while into it but I just wasn’t sure if I’d lose anything by getting up to 15k in December and then never getting near it for another few months until later in a HM plan.

Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Butterbeans

Is it for a race in December or just to get to the 15k distance? If you had a couple of weeks after you reach the goal, and depending how it went/you feel, you could taper down to say 14/13k long run the following week and 13/12k the week after before starting into your HM plan. Again, it'll just add to that training base

Yeah it’s just to get to the distance. Good advice. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Flex2016

That’s a hilly enough half so try to include hills in your training too! Good luck 🤞🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

Random marathon running question - I've run a few at this stage and recent issues with getting water into me made me think, how much water do people actually drink during a normal (i.e. not hot) marathon? Personally I could get by on about 250ml for the entire thing, each water station I ever stop at I take maybe a mouthful and ditch the rest. This has never been an issue for me but I was thinking if others are similar or drink more?

I know 🙈 I live in the town so I will be able to train on most parts of the course. In for a penny . . . Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Same. At Amsterdam I made a point of grabbing a cup at each station, but never getting more than half a mouthful out of it.

Prob about 250ml in total.

Any recommendations for a good quality head torch?

Something comfy with a strong lamp.

I have a Decathlon cheap one but it's neither of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭event

• Advertisement

I'm looking for a decent cheap luminous green/yellow jacket for running, don't need hood, any recommendations?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I have an Asics wind jacket I picked up in Elverys a couple of years ago, light and durable. I saw them(only large sizes) in Sports Direct for €25. Only large sizes I think. I would recommend this as its the only one I ever owned and have a couple of winter marathon plans on it

Cheers, that looks the part, I'll keep an eye on it for more sizes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I use it both road and trail running, it's brilliant. About £70 on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

Thanks, I had been reading articles online and was concerned I was massively under hydrating during my runs.

I think managing your hydration well during your block, and particularly in your lead up week is more important than during the race. Assuming optimal weather/temp.

Hydration can vary greatly from person to person. Temperature and humidity certainly play a role, but long-term individual hydration consistency(how much and when you drink during training) should also be a key consideration. While factors like your fitness level, diet, and conditioning are significant, they are highly personal, making it advisable to use others' advice as a rough guideline for your water intake and fuel consumption during races.

One piece of advice I strongly endorse is frequent practice to gauge your hydration needs. Don't rely on last year's hydration levels for races or intense workouts because your body changes over time. Personally I think that inadequate hydration leads to longer recovery times and increase the likelihood of cramping, particularly in endurance races like marathons.

In the past, I've conducted a simple experiment during the summer. I'd take, for example, 500ml of fluid on a 16-mile run in temperatures ranging from 15-20°C, and then I'd repeat the run under similar conditions a couple of weeks later. Even with a consistent diet and alcohol abstinence during training, I noticed that on days when I didn't hydrate properly, my Tuesday runs after a Monday rest day felt much more challenging. Remember, this is a personal experience, and your results may differ. Another valuable discovery for me is that fueling during long training runs helps curb post-run cravings when I'm trying to eat sensibly. For instance, if I only focus on hydration during a 20-mile run, even at a relatively easy pace, I find myself reaching for snacks in the afternoon. However, if I consume a couple of energy gels during the run, I'm good to go, and I can return to my regular eating routine. For me this holds true even for early morning runs on an empty stomach, although I still enjoy those occasionally; they tend to leave me feeling hungry throughout the day.

Test and experiment, but most importantly, enjoy the time you are able to run, you never know when your last run will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I know a lot of this is individual etc and varies from person to person, but wonder if anyone can give any views on weekly volume that makes a difference?

So to expand slightly, I'm doing roughly 80/20 easy / hard training. I'd typically be doing around 180/200km a month, so 45/ 50km a week, but unfortunately I'm averaging around 1800km a year for the last two years, caused by a recurring injury, once in each year that massively reduced volume for 2 or 3 months... So some months I was only hitting 100km a month... Under physio guidance.

Assuming I can keep the consistency up, is there some magic weekly number that people make a breakthrough at ? My running times haven't improved now in about 3 years, I first started running maybe 3.5 years ago, made good progress in six months but have never really kicked on.

• Advertisement

Give us some more details.

What is your goal, at what distance and what time?

What is your current PB?

What are your current sessions like, how many speed/tempo/slow etc

Advertisement