Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options
1322323324325326328»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Get yourself a foam roller or firm ball like a hockey ball, and target the areas around the hip, specially the TFL anf Glute Med. Lying on your side and supporting yourself as best as you can with your other leg, apply as much pressure as you can ( suggest 6/7 out of 10) on these areas, there's no need to consistently roll, just apply pressure until you feel the tension ease out. Do it every other day for a few days it should help to ease the pain. Of course this doesn't get to the reason why you got it or may not prevent it coming back, but it certainly will help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Have you seen a Physio and had that diagnosed Mantis?

The reason I ask is I suspected I had that myself in January after some Dr Googling. Symptoms matched.

My physio actually diagnosed an inflamed meniscus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

No haven't seen a physio or had it diagnosed yet, I'd be fairly sure that's what's it is but I may be wrong.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

With the obvious disclaimer that I am not a physio, I had IT band issues and did these exercises with a resistance band (fairly old video!). Tried to do it twice weekly and mostly succeeded, it doesn't take long. I found a good test to judge progress was my ability to do a single leg squat (of a sort!). Before starting the exercises I could do one on my right leg but my left leg was very noticeably weaker, after a good stint of doing the exercises my form on my left leg got a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Can someone recommend good physio in Galway? Struggling with pain for month now so need to get it checked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

I had been planning to run the Cork City marathon in June. I did it last year in 4.08 so was hoping to do it this year under four hours. Training had been going well until about two weeks ago when I got a dreadful chest and throat infection. I'm finally over it now after two antibiotics. I've just started back running now and did a local four mile road race on Thursday in just over 29 and half minutes. This is 2.5 mins slower than the same race last year. I am absolutely shattered after doing the race and am not sure at all now about being able to run a marathon in six weeks time. Do you think it's possible I could come back from this and build up enough strength to do the marathon in June? What ever notions I had about breaking 4 hours are gone now, I just want to complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Escapees

Of course you could run the marathon - that's if you do really want to do it. Running the recent race though wasn't the best idea at all, given that you had been sick and not training properly for weeks beforehand. Nothing can be judged from that race, apart from learning not to do something like it again so soon after being unwell. That, if anything, was the biggest risk in terms of recovering from the infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

I had actually signed up for a sixteen mile run tomorrow too which I was even contemplating doing! I don't think I will though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

With the heat we had last year for Cork, that 4.08 was probably a 3.58 in normal conditions. It was brutal that day.

Advertisement