Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2024 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Firblog

Wouldn't it make more sense for someone with that routine to move to Portlaoise; shorter journeys to all those destinations apart from Belfast, prob save 1 or 2 hours travelling every day - say half a day needless driving every week? But 3 or 4 work weeks wasted sitting in the car per year, that's ok, but spending half an hour per day charging a car on those journeys would be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,427 ✭✭✭✭ted1

no one wants to move from Dublin to portlaose. The only people who do are in the prison there.

Your are still doing an 8 hour day. You’ll just stay on site longer. So no time saved

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

Management Companies are notorious for introducing as many obstacles as possible, real or imaginary, to discourage any notions about changing things. The directors will have to drive (pun unintended) something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭creedp

Attend the AGM and raise a stink. I find that gets a reaction or at least is difficult for Mgt Company to ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

better yet volunteer as a director and get the changes made yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I am a director and, anyone wanting to install a charger in the public parking area can do so - at their own cost and from and approved contractor so, that's not the issue. The Managing just comments that if we installed a charger at every parking spot we'd be overloaded.

No need to raise a stink.

And, again, even if I got an electric car and a charger which I had guaranteed access to, it would be on standard rates, not attaching to my home meter so I would end up paying more than I need to (as would anyone who installs) and, that is my point - as the spaces are not allocated anyone with an EV (or non EV) could use the space with the charger and in the case of EV owners, charge their vehicle so I am not even assured to have 100% use of it.

Allocation of specific spaces will be a big deal - this is the EV forum not the Private Estate forum so not going down that rabbit hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I can assure you, the only people who attend other than the committee are those with a gripe - and they get to give out to the committee and the other handful of people to have their gripe at the committee - we have 300+ units and therefore potentially at least 300 to attend - if we have 20 i'd be amazed - people just cannot be bothered.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've seen two models, the assigned space with personal charger installation and shared spaces with a service provider to cover the billing.

The approach of private install from shared supply into shared space seems like an absolute cop out and the worst of all worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Daveq

I had to get a new fuse board, with tails and earth upgrade to safely run my Zappi at full power.

So it's not impossible that extra work is needed?

Granted my house was built in the early 70's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

We passed a resolution to install chargers with a turnout of about 25 property owners. They're installed now, 18 of them, 3 banks of 6 chargers in underground car parks. Needed some upgrades on fire alarm system too.

They're not operational yet but are physically wired. The idea is they will be slightly higher than cost price and only owners with service charges fully paid will be given activation codes/cards whatever they use. The excess charges will go towards upkeep/management of the units and any further excess funds in time will go back into sinking fund to replenish the cost of installation.

We have about 150 units I think so 1 charger per 7 or 8 properties now. Defo don't have 18 EVs in the development yet but I have seen a few PHEVs.

Apparently there'll be an online booking system available for them in time and an overstay charge system too.

I wonder if they'll be 11kw or 7kw? Also not sure if there will be a night rate. I charge my EVs in work mainly but this is good to have anyway. And good for property valuations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭SharkMX

We bought a house this year. Ive been driving EVs for over a decade now and we were going to get rid of the EV if we ended up buying an apartment. In the ened it was a house and we could get a charger so the EV stayed.

I certainly would not advise anyone to buy an EV without home charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Nail on head here. Unless public charging n/w is massively improved EV's will be unattainable for many

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think for the naysayers they struggle to see any actual advantage in going EV. There isn’t a single thing you can do with an ev you can’t do with a diesel (you can even refuel a diesel at home if you have space for a tank).

The sad thing is they are correct, whether it is range or time to refuel, EVs seem to be less good at being cars than ice vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭yer man!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There's more to cars than range and time to refuel at a pump. That's a very myopic mindset.

I say that as someone who used to use a home diesel tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,427 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I can’t park in garage , close the door , keep the engine on and not kill myself with an ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

if you have a large enough garden you sure can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭sk8board

as a motoring forum, we’re all at the very least interested in cars.

I think we overestimate how little many car buyers care about the car they drive, never mind the means of propulsion of said vehicle.

I keep coming back to the example of the thousands of happy Yaris Cross buyers here in Ireland - they went into a Toyota dealer and asked “what deals do you have on motor vehicles please” :)

They want a reliable, warrantied vehicle, sold by the same garage they always go to for their motor vehicles, for a good price, or cheap monthlies. Done.

Once those people are buying an EV, that’s mass adoption.

Not entirely sure who wants "mass adoption", the planet, govts, people. But that aside.

It would need more incentives to move more people to EV. Not just from Govt but manufacturers etc. I could list many but that's just be argued over.

Perhaps mass adoption is too ambitious in itself. At the moment I can't see an EV ever suiting more than 30-40% of people. With everything as it currently is.

• Advertisement

also bear in mind that the only people you can currently convince to move to an EV are the people with the financial means to afford a new one, AND who could care less about it in the first place. That’s actually quite a small demographic.

We have 3.75m adults in Ireland - and only about 80k of them buy a new car ever year (it’s probably far less when you remove rental fleets and company cars).

The proportion of people in the secondary market who would happily drive an EV is going to be far higher.

I'm not sure what point you're making. People buy used EVs same as used ICE cars.

No one looking at saving money buys a new car.

Seems a very low percentage I'd say it's closer to 80%

the point is simply that there are 2.5m vehicles in the national fleet.
    The only way to ‘move that fleet to BEV’ is via the new car market - second hand sales won’t change that ratio unless by some magic we change EU policy and can import cheap 2nd hand EVs.

We could sell 50% EV share of new cars for the next 30 years and we still wouldn’t get to 50% of the national fleet.

and all the while you’re relying on that small number of people who can afford a new car to drive those sales and adoption into the national fleet.

I’m just saying that reality doesn’t really align with government policy on BEVs

That seems like a different point than you made about Yaris drivers. Before Brexit there was strong market for EV imports. But that landscape has certainly changed. Not that it's that simple. As the technology has come on in Leaps and bounds. Which effects the used market differently to ICE cars.

But I take your point we won't be changing the cars on the road that quickly. There really isn't any huge govt incentive to move people away from diesel in the way there was moving from petrol to diesel.

Incidentally...

"...Over 80 percent of new cars sold in Norway were electric in 2023...

Not that Ireland will get adoption anything like Norway. The Govt plans do not align with reality. Unless theres seismic change. Can't see it..

Not sure the confusion, It’s a pretty simple point - mass adoption of EVs only happens when the national fleet of vehicles is at a tipping point - not ‘x% of new car sales is an EV’.

If new car buyers in Ireland aren’t interested yet in EVs (but are buying the Yaris Cross by the thousand), and second hand buyers don’t seem keen either, then the national fleet will take decades to reach a tipping point.

As for Norway -

“As of the end of September 2023, full electric vehicles (BEVs) comprised 23.6% of Norway's total passenger vehicle fleet, with 675,500 units on the road”

Remember Norway got to that 23% with MASSIVE incentives, and ICE cars were always infinitely more expensive than here.

We’re easily 10-15 years away from getting to the same 23%

Makes a point about new cars sales, then says new cars sales don't matter, then makes the same point about new car sales....ok.

I'm actually agreeing with you. Govt targets are fantasy..

Simple solution is to increase VRT based on emissions by 50% every year until ice sales disappear 😝

Or bring in an emissions quota per manufacturer and cut it by 25% every year.

Only impacts new car buyers e.g. rich folks, no impact on lower income groups that don't buy new cars.

I don't think it's possible even for the manufacturers to meet the demand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭djan

It would kill the political party bringing this in overnight. And rightly so as it's ridiculous. Plenty of lower income people buy new cars and the infrastructure is nowhere near to enable high levels of EV ownership in Ireland, be that the electricity grid, charging access or battery tech/range in lower cost models.

Advertisement