Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M21 - Limerick to Rathkeale/Foynes [advance works to commence shortly]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

@pigtown The final design drawings are available on the below page. Sheet 9 shows the tie in to the current road.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

M20/M21 will likely be an M7/M8 or M7/M9 type junction with added slip road from M20N -> M21W. Adare-Cork movements via the existing Ballybronogue junction

No need for any reservations to left during M21 construction. It'll just require shoulder closures and an overnight closure for bridge beam lifts when the mainline junction will have to be complete down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

Thanks. I hope the junction gets upgraded with the M20. That drawing implies a sharp left hand turn from the N20 towards Adare. And the Adare - Cork movement also looks like a complete stop is required. I wonder will lights or a roundabout be needed here.

I'm certain the M7/M20 junction won't cope with the additional traffic and slow trucks but that's for another thread

Cork bound traffic will continue to use the current M20 J5 at Attyflin. The sharp left turn is again the current M20 J5 which isn't being changed by this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

I asked about both of these junctions during the M20 Webinar last November. The response in relation to the N20/M7/N18 junction was as follows:

This existing junction is not in scope - the project ends in the vicinity of the junction of the M/N20 and the M21. However the project team are aware that people in the office are looking at this junction, specifically with a view to improving safety and efficiency.

And regarding the M20/M21 junction:

This is being planned as a free flow junction for all movements apart from one. This is the M21N to M20S, which will be via the existing over bridge at Attyflynn.

Full response as I recorded it here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121435902/#Comment_121435902

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Dronehawk presents: Adare Bypass - Update 1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Exciting! There has been significant topsoil work and it’s great to see lots of active diggers along the route. The whole route is active, not just the Adare bypass part.

Looks like the large house at 0:45 will be taken. It’s right in the middle.

• Advertisement

It's not under construction. All that work is site investigation and archaeology. No contractor has been appointed to build the scheme yet and one isn't expected to be appointed until at least September.

And the video is only from Attyflin to Croagh. It's not the whole route.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭raindodger

doesnt look as if there is any major feat of engineering mostly flat land with one river crossing

The Attyflin to Croagh section has two river crossings (Maigue and Greanagh), two railway overbridges, five local road overbridges and two grade separated junctions. Although admittedly the Croagh junction may only be partially completed at this stage.

That's a lot of engineering. And the Maigue River bridge, at 200m long through an SAC, will definitely be a major feat of engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pale Red

The caption in the footage, near the end, says Rathkeale and there is a church spire - there is no church in Croagh. I do not think that the site and the existing road run so close to each other at Croagh. I think it is Rathkeale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yep it's definitely Rathkeale. This is the route. The stated length of 13km (@3:26) also checks out, Attyflin-Croagh is only 10 km.

And I know it's not "under construction" and that this is preparatory work only - this still counts as an "active route" in my book.

Fair enough, didn't notice the caption.

Still not the whole route as suggested though. Update 2 may be Rathkeale to Foynes.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Looks a relatively new remodel on that house at 0.45.

Tough to be made move.

Dronehawk has another video up

The route has been known since 2016 and the final plans were submitted to ABP in 2019. They've known about this for 8 years and they'll be well compensated via the CPO. If they did do it up more recently than that, then I've no sympathy for them.

Just had a look through the council planning site. The owners of this home built a massive extension onto an old cottage post 2017. The 100m corridor had been announced in September 2016. This was reduced to an 80m in June 2017. The final proposed route was released in May 2018.

So they built this house in full knowledge that it was on the route of the M21.

Saying that, I've no idea how the council allowed them to do so.

• Advertisement

They applied for the extension in 2013 prior to any proposal for Foynes to Limerick. They never built it and looks like they applied for an Extension of time for the 2013 application in October 2017. 2013 Application expired on 28/08/2018.

This does not make for good reading on the councils behalf. This should have been referred to TII/MWRDO for comment but it doesnt look like it. Even then when the application is plotted on the Planmap system the route corridor should have been on the map which would highlight the issue immediately. The resident will surely get compensated over and above what would be normal in this particular instance.

That’s just crazy stuff. They’re definitely due ample compensation for this snafu.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Councils seem to be really incompetent with this sort of thing. Kerry Co. Co. gave planning permission a few months ago for the construction of 235 homes on the edge of Tralee. The developers had engaged extensively with the council and had lots of pre planning meetings. When it went to ABP on a 3rd party appeal, it was refused citing a new northern relief road that was planned for the area. How on earth did the council not consider or be aware of this planned road potentially cutting through the site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

Whens the Ryder cup happening again?

2027. This won't delay anything. The CPOs have been approved by ABP, so they have to leave. It's just a question of how much they get.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Good to see, but I wont be happy until I see the construction tender published 😁

Advertisement