Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M21 - Limerick to Rathkeale/Foynes [advance works to commence shortly]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I noticed the below in the Prospects 23/24 document. Is this the first time that getting the Adare bypass section open for 2027 has been mentioned officially?

The main contractor procurement process (i.e. tender documents to issue) is expected to commence in Q3, 2023. Work is progressing on the Phase 5 (Enabling and Procurement) documents to facilitate early construction of the Adare Bypass in advance of the 2027 European Ryder Cup, assuming statutory approval is achieved

Also to reference the above question, does anyone know if it has actually gone to tender? Q3 ends this week.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I've been away for a few weeks so only catching up but I noticed this interesting wording in the Prospects document published recently

The main contractor procurement process (i.e. tender documents to issue) is expected to commence in Q3, 2023. Work is progressing on the Phase 5 (Enabling and Procurement) documents to facilitate early construction of the Adare Bypass in advance of the 2027 European Ryder Cup, assuming statutory approval is achieved.

Are we to assume with that wording that the Adare bypass section will be tendered instead of the whole project to begin with? That'll either be Patrickswell-Croagh or Patrickswell-Rathkeale. It'd make sense to segment the project in such a manner to achieve the 2027 opening for the Ryder Cup.

It's also very heartening to see the 2027 opening still being on the cards and mentioned in this document. Ryder Cup aside, knowing that Adare will only be an issue for 4 more years is music to a lot of people's ears.

Snap!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Great minds Cookiemunster

I had a look through the tenders since September 1st and found no mention of this project

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭pajoguy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

"The move to complete the link is seen as important to making the world’s most popular golf tournament at Adare Manor a success".

I have never played golf & it occupies no space in my wee head - perhaps I should be gripped by FOMO? Me not being stuck in Adare may not be their prime motivation but THIS IS GOOD NEWS.

Any chance of Newcastle West & Abbeyfeale hosting a prestigious sporting event; international knitting?

I don't care if it was a tiddly winks competition. If it is actually going to speed up construction then bring it on.

As to for the Newcastle West and Abbeyfeale bypasses, I read an article this morning (can't remember where) that said that the 100m corridors would be published by year end and that they'd both be off to ABP next year. They're unlikely to be open to traffic before the end of the decade though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I see Leddin is spinning the line that the Adare rail line will be open to passengers despite it having been specifically stated that it wasn't being prepared to a standard to handle passenger services and stations aren't part of the scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

Archaeological Consultancy Services - Stage (i)-(iv) Services tendered

https://www.etenders.gov.ie/epps/cft/viewContractNotices.do?resourceId=2565315

• Advertisement

Estimated value €20m, quite a big contract. Interesting to see that advance works will continue on the 35km route for now.

The article posted recently about a prioritisation of the 8km from Attyflin-Croagh so it'll be interesting to see if and when things get phased.

A construction project can be phased within a single contract, it doesn't have to be more than one contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

N22 Ballyvourney - Macroom being a good example - although that did sort of happen by accident rather than by plan, it developed into that so it is possible.

The government contracts allow the contracting authorities to set different handover dates for various elements or different time periods in which particular works have to be completed. They can set a date before the Ryder Cup for handover of the Adare Bypass while the remainder of the route could have a handover date two years later or whatever.

Yes that is true as you say. While it would be fantastic to see all 35km go ahead in one contract, with such a big scheme and the current construction environment (non-political) it may be delivered over a series of contracts.

Limerick Council awarded a number of framework competitions over the last year to carry out the advanced works for Foynes to Limerick and other projects, like this one for ground investigation works Publication (eu-supply.com), or this one for civil works Publication (eu-supply.com). The tenders for these contracts would only be visible to the shortlisted contractors, so there could be lots of tender activity at the moment we wouldn't know about, that could be phased.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Site clearance for Motorway Section due to be awarded, site clearance for Rathkeale to Foynes out to tender Ground Investigation out to tender, Archaeology out to tender

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nearlybreak

Is this for all the section or the croagh slip off?When will it start roughly do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

You’d have to wonder will this push the accident rate after Croagh once complete? While a good wide two lane road it carries a huge traffic volume with plenty of side entrances and cross roads

I doubt it. Traffic will join the old N21 at Croagh from the new road at a roundabout, so that will slow it down. It's only 5km to the next junction at Rathkeale.

You won't see extra traffic on that route until the new road between Rathkeale and Foynes is open and that won't happen before all of the motorway section is open.

• Advertisement

Resident Engineer jobs and Public Liasion Officer roles are being recruited for in relation to the project

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nearlybreak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Adare bypass going to Cabinet today (ignore the headline, relevant section is eight or nine paragraphs down)

Also at Cabinet today, Transport Minister Eamon Ryan is due to seek approval to accelerate the development of the Adare Bypass in Co Limerick.

It comes after three judicial reviews against the road project were withdrawn earlier this year.

It is understood the plan to accelerate the development of the bypass is to ensure that it is complete ahead of the Ryder Cup, to be held in Adare Manor in 2027.

The bypass is one element of the 33km Limerick to Foynes project which is due to connect the port with motorways near Limerick City.

No prizes for guessing whose boot is firmly wedged up Ryan’s arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Live95 reporting construction to commence in 2024 at a cost of €144-165m

7km so just as far as Croagh

Rte radio 1 about to talk about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Amazing the pull that the game of golf has in this country. We seen a hint of it of course in GolfGate during Covid.

Who knew that our Eamon likes to tee off.

• Advertisement

Christ Eamon Ryan sounded depressed talking about it.

Advertisement