Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Should he be allowed fight if he was recently taking HGH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Conor setting a deadline for when he goes off the drink, this fella isn't for real at all. He'll spend most the camp drying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I think that's one of the reasons there was a big delay to him coming back. He had to test negative for a certain amount of time before being allowed to fight again.

I can understand him doing whatever it takes to make the best recovery possible. A bad injury like that can really impact the rest of your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Yeah that was one of the reasons he 'retired' so he could fully recover 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Musicrules

But why is it banned in the first place? Doesn't using HGH give him a huge athletic advantage if he was using them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,685 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

High profile fighters, champions, etc are always tested more. As are fighters returning to the pool.

The two most tested fighters right now are Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo.

Nobody knows what he was taking for recovery, or even if he was taking anything. It’s just speculation, it may be correct, but nobody can say it was HGH, peptides, sarms, etc.

HGH is banned due to is anabolic effects, rather than athletic effects. It’s banned out of comp, so if It turned up in any test he’d be banned. He’s been back tested since end of 2023.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Looks like he's only gone and bought ( some, although maybe all) of BKFC, definately going to see out the ufc contract and then youre going to get him vs diaz etc

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2024/04/conor-mcgregor-bkfc-owner-announcement-video-knucklemania

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,902 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Paulie is now employed by Cpnor , I bet he'll love that ,

Haven't looked too much into that McGregor BKFC deal, but I'd imagine it's just some sort of deal where a celebrity puts their name to a promotion in exchange for a small amount of equity in a manner that's beneficial to both parties. Much the way Tom Brady is involved with Birmingham City.

I may be completely wrong though

• Advertisement

Brady didn’t put his name to Biringham in exchange for equity. He’s a legitimate investor in the asset management that bought control.

Brady’s advisory role might be more symbolic, in return for some sort of bonus. But his ownership isn’t afaik.

Conor doesn’t own a majority or anything close to it obviously. You’re talking a small percentage of a company worth 9 figures. He does a lot of stupid things, but business wise he’s been pretty saavy.

This tweet was almost 10 years ago, after only 2 fights.

Fair enough.. I just meant to highlight that he may not even have invested a huge amount/any money at all. It wouldn't be uncommon for a celebrity of his stature to be given a small stake in a company to have their name attached to the company. It's a win-win situation for both parties. They get to make their big announcement that he's an owner and his name elevates the brand recognition of the promotion. I agree that he's very business savvy alright and probably has a good team behind him too.

Also, this was probably the perfect opportunity for him too. It's adjacent to the field that he's best known in without being in direct competition with the UFC and it's also in its relative infancy. I got the impression a few years ago that he was rebuffed by the UFC when he was looking for shares in the company. Probably just not feasible with how big the UFC has become and the outside investors they have who wouldn't see the benefit in diluting their shareholding to to give him equity, particularly when he's already under contract to fight for the promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Beersmith

If anyone has two tickets spare for the press conference I'd like them.

Interested in going just to experience the sheer carnage it will probably be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Unfortunately Ticketmaster doesn't allow transfer or sale of these tickets. This could lead to a number of empty seats and a lot of fans missing out. They should open up more sections in the arena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Well moot topic now as it has been postponed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Anyone on the whatchats know who or what he's done this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,387 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Following on from the news of Tyson having to withdraw from his fight I think it is safe to assume McGregor is going to fight Jake Paul.

On a serious note though, one would imagine it won't be long until the actual fight is postponed/cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Shank Williams

prob should have held it in the black forge he still would be there from night before

No way this goes ahead if it does that degenerate is going to be in big trouble on the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

They've already smashed the gate. 20 million plus from ticket sales alone never mind the PPV.

There will be a lot of pressure on him to show up. Good thing this was a free ticket event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'd like to laugh at that Jake Paul theory and say "good one"....but would anyone be surprised if that happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,627 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Would he be a billionaire yet? The whiskey business seemed extremely profitable

i knew that, I had seen it reported he received approx 600 million for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,127 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

If anything, this is exactly why he shouldn't be fighting, or at least pretending to fight. He has no need for it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

McGregor released a very generic statement about the cancellation.

https://x.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1797715477923348940

Post edited by el Fenomeno on

The total sale was worth up to $600m. Meaning the entire value of the company sale, not what Conor was paid specifically Joe his %.

He made an estimated $120-150m plus presumably some sort of ongoing royalty payment.

Has to be an injury , Explains why he went on the piss the other night he knew he isn't making the fight date ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

what ever came from the time Artem was looking for a cut from the whiskey? Seems to have disappeared

sounds like it’s being pulled, any fight video with McGregor for this fight went private on YouTube as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Blue in the face from telling people he has no intention to fight, he's done since the khabib fight. Retiring wouldn't be great for his brands so he's just giving the illusion he's active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

I find this stage of the story to be most interesting, Conor developed a persona that paid dividends, enhanced it and expanded on it along the way, one could argue that where the persona ends and Conor starts is not clear, but retirement in theory should start the process to set the 2 apart if there is no further need for it, maybe the 2 have merged and this is what we are left with, but at some stage he has to mature and grow out of it, I know many men including myself to not start the maturing process until in their 30's and this could still happen, but I think he does have to officially retire first before maturing starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Michael Chandler shares cryptic post amid rumours of Conor McGregor fight cancellation

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/michael-chandler-shares-cryptic-post-amid-rumours-of-conor-mcgregor-fight-cancellation/a870515904.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

Can somebody go down to the Black forge and see if McGregor's ok?

While you are correct, he has not trained the same or not lived the life of a fighter, It happened pre Khabib , Khabib fought a Conor that was drinking & whatever else during camp , not showing up certain days of training & a mess in his private life, , It was post Floyd that he went of the rails ,

Eddie was the last MMA fight where you had Conor the true MMA fighter & peak McGregor, he never was the same again after that fight, The boxing made him so much money that things where never the same,

I do think he will fight again, his ego won't let him walk away just yet, but he will never be the same again in the cage not even close ,

HAae it on good word camp was going great & he hurt a shin , hence why he went on the beer the other week, he knew the fight wasn't happing just yet,

Dana said there was an accident in sparring. If you believe that, you will believe anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Homer

what he tripped and fell into a bag of the devils dandruff?!

There was something on Reddit (I know, I know) about him advising that he would fail a drugs test. That honestly sounds more to be the case if anything.

Or, as I have always believed, he was never going to fight. He does this for attention to sell something or for theatrical gain, he will never win again, hold a belt, none of that. It is more likely that he will fight Jake Paul at this rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I'd say it's most likely an injury but if that's all it is why won't they just announce that?

Maybe they're waiting to see if he'll recover in time or trying to find a replacement. Either way I don't see the fight happening now at least not this year. I think McGregor would happily go off and fight Jake Paul or go to BKFC but there's no way the UFC release him from his deal while there's still so much money to be made from him.

I'm not sure his brand needs him to pretend to be fighting. He's making a lot more money from non-fight aspect. Seems likely that moving into a promotor role will be the plan post-fighter career

I doubt that would have any impact on anything.

Reddit is a mixed bag. Lots of wafflers who don't know how drugs/testing works. I highly doubt he's fail a drug test seeing as he's been tested all year for PEDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭monty_python

Cant believe the fight hasn't be cancelled or confirmed going ahead yet

Jiří Procházka v Alex Pereira announcement incoming, imo

Post edited by Mellor on

Yup, better fight anyway.

McGregor officially pulls out, predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Homer

if only his father had pulled out..

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

What's amazing to me is how many times they can tease him coming back, they will be teasing him coming back when he is in his forties.

He's done with UFC. He's too rich to care and he knows deep down the top guys now will batter him; I have a feeling Chandler will maul him if it ever goes ahead not that it will.

Dana has a weird relationship with him. It reminds me of Vince McMahons relationship with Hulk Hogan and something he said to him backstage on time. 'Even though you are finished there is equity in the 'Hulk Hogan' brand; we want to keep it going forever'

Same with the Conor thing. Biggest fighter in the World who never fights. It's gas.

They’ve never cancelled a fight before. Injuries happen, but afaik this is the first time McGregor has pulled out.

It’s a bit hollow to sneer at the idea of McGregor being a big fight. When the most discussion this forum has seen is months, every second thread on Reddit, and mma articles everywhere were talking about the fight, the speculation, the cancellation.

People hate it. But Mcgregor is still the highest interest fight, despite being 3 years out of the octagon.

Injuries happen and even more so as you age & have haven't had a proper fight camp in a number of years

I hear Conor is willing to fight in July if a date is possible, but looking like August or September

• Advertisement
Advertisement