Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,141 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Other than Moscow Marge ranting and raving disprovable nonsense and russian propaganda and trying to zero out the bill, the floor debate has been overwhelmingly in favor of the bill.

Vote begins now. It already has a number of Republican votes and seems poised to sail. Some votes against by the Democrats are signaling against the genocide in Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭briany

Are the Isreal-protesting Democrats front-loading the nays because every Dem vote I've seen at the time of this writing is nay.

Well uh, actually lots of opposition to the bill from the Democrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Well done those democrats voting against. Israeli genocide must stop.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Poon Tang

Are the American tax payers obligated to continue funding the Ukrainian war effort indefinitely though?

Your phrase "pulling the finger out" seems to suggest an element of entitlement to these funds, rather than them being a charitable contribution to help Ukraine fight their war.

How strong would you say the Russian military are, to have caused this bleak outlook for the Ukrainians without having the benefit of such massive aid packages themselves?

Many people are saying the Russian defences are near impenetrable in most parts of the frontline now, with row after row of trenches, anti-tank obstacles, ditches, reinforced bunkers etc often many kilometres deep. Apparently, this is seriously sapping the morale of the soldiers, which I can fully imagine it might. It sounds like an old-fashioned ww1 gruelling style of war. Can this latest aid package make much of a difference in such a war of attrition?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

lol of course it can. In a war of attrition the side with the largest economy will win with time. And Russia is dwarfed by the NATO economy, especially the US military industrial complex. And Russia has indeed had to transition to a full wartime economy while the US is business as usual.

latest tally. I guess I was wrong to think the Dems would overwhelmingly support the bill. Strange given how a great many of them still express support for Israel. It's going to be tight.

The rules are not suspended, the bill is not passed. Further consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

There's a lot of anger in the US over Israeli genocide. Democrats will stay home and not vote in November if Biden doesn't act. This is a reflection of what democratic reps are hearing. Giving them money to slaughter more children isn't a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭zerosquared

I don’t buy what you are trying to sell

IMHO Ukrainians have learned from last year that painting an optimistic picture only leads to support dropping while keeping the war on the news as an existential issue for all of the civilised world (which it is) and not just Ukrainians (something that is not hard to do as the Russians just can’t help themselves in committing atrocities and threatening others beside Ukraine)
    In short Ukrainians are canny and learned what every project manager knows instinctively to do, underpromise, keep project prominently on minds and over deliver

Between US and EU and other countries they will receive close to 100bn this year in aid from direct military kit to wages of soldiers paid to training and direct investment in Ukraine. For perspective their total military spend per year from 2014 to 2022 was 2.9 to 5.9bn

They won’t squander it on offensive unless they see a clear opportunity somewhere especially until they know what happens to Trump, they will keep hitting Russians where it hurts most especially as atacams is in this bill

In retrospect, it was more Western sources who were predicting the lines to move, big style, when the Ukrainians began their summer offensive last year. General Zaluzhny had said in various news outlets that people would have to temper their expectations as to what Ukraine could actually do and, as it turned out, that wasn't a psy-op or anything.

… oh

The first vote that took place was to suspend the rules and pass H.R. 3602, a border security bill. The motion needs two-thirds approval, 290 votes, to pass. It failed with 215 in favor, 199 against while 17 members did not vote. But Republicans wanted votes on the record where lawmakers stood on the issue.

Earlier this week, three hardliners on the House Rules Committee prevented its passage in protest of House Speaker Mike Johnson’s overall plan. Had that passed, the bill would have required just a simple majority vote in the House to be sent to the Senate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/04/20/house-vote-ukraine-israel-aid-johnson/
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/3602

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I suspect about an equal number of the Republicans voting no are looking for border funding. I know my rep is one of them. (I did email him to say pass the bill, but I guess I'm in a minority in his constituency)

Whilst I can understand the principle behind all the objections, they need to realise that the danger which is posed by Russia is not going to wait for them to settle their policy squabbles.

I'm guessing this user is likely dodgy but I'll respond to the points anyway

No obligation to support Ukraine, but there's still decent support in the US for it. The US taxpayer spent 20 years supporting Afghanistan which was massively more expensive.

The amount the US is giving, and the nature of it (it's providing US jobs, plus moving old stock, plus warehoused and to-be-decommissioned equipment, plus tackling one of the US and free world's largest enemies, Putin, plus defending Europe from invasion) from any perspective it's a no-brainer pretty much. It's only being held up by party politics.

The Russian military is around the 3rd largest military in the world. They get some support from N Korea and China and others.

Russian defenses are formidable, but without this aid Ukraine could find itself falling back, aka losing. If this aid package passes it will be a significant boost to equipment/munitions, but also a big boost to morale in Ukraine who are still fighting for their survival.

TickTock banned, Taiwan getting funding, what’s the number of the Ukraine bill?

"The House has overwhelmingly passed H.R. 8038, a bill that requires the current Chinese owner of TikTok to sell or face a potential ban. It would also allow the president to level new sanctions against Russia and Iran." (Wapo)

Ukraine up next I think.

• Advertisement

sounds like it according to the title read.

The amendments first, including the stupid moscow marge one.

Seems to be 8035 or 8036, oh to be an empty vodka bottle with an embedded CIA microphone in the Kremlin about now 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Poon Tang

Maybe they're not too worried about the Russian threat, considering they've been hearing about how the Russian military isn't very impressive for two solid years now?

It seems to be getting harder and harder to sell this rhetoric to people.

A stupid number or Republicans voting for the Moscow Marge amendment to zero out the bill. They didn't have the votes though.

Two solid years into a war Russian propaganda told us will take three days for the second best army in world

let the record be clear 🤣

Edit: who is the one democrat voting nay only to change their mind?

It's a highly complex dynamic situation. To try and simplify it somewhat:

Russia has a massive powerful military. They invaded Ukraine, most analysts had Ukraine collapsing in a short time, the Russians themselves believed they would take the country in the short time. The Russians made big progress early on, reaching the capital. However, the Ukrainian leader didn't flee, the Ukrainian military did their job, they didn't collapse. With Western help, the Ukrainians not only started to hold the Russians, but pushed them back. A clever counter-offensive helped with that. The Russians reorganized an immense defensive line and clinging on to about 18% of the country and a crude stalemate is the current state of things.

The Russian military is using Iranian drones, relying on 40 yr old taxi drivers, prisoners, getting shells from N Korea - on the flipside they still have a decently powerful air-force (Ukraine has virtually none), they have (or had) a navy (Ukraine had none), have vast stocks of CW equipment, large production of munitions. Complex. And they have adapted.

TLDR the Russian military has been humiliated by a much smaller nation, they've made big mistakes, but they have adapted somewhat through the war and have been saved by quantity (of both munitions and meat-waves of men they can send in)

Ahem, like I was saying, sail through the House. https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/8035

Hopefully this means the bill gets signed and we get wheels up on the military aid to Ukraine by the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Handing out Ukraine flags in the house.

they don't seem to be getting around to the russian side of the chamber

• Advertisement

**** YES

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement