Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in road deaths - RTE tonight at 9:35pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I believe that it now stands at 63 people killed on our roads this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The problem is people renewing their learner permit without doing the driving test. Currently it is only a requirement to prove you applied for the driving test to renew your learner permit. You don't have sit the test. It is my understanding that it is this loophole that Chambers is promising to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Thank you. I've been away for a couple of days so not fully up to date. And I'm assuming neither of the latest two sad statistics were killed by scooters/cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What has changed in the last few years, people are welded to their phones (even more so that before) Social media, apps for everything and on top of that most new cars have touch screens.. This sort of distraction is bad enough in heavy traffic but lethal if they're doing it on open roads. How do people not get that they are effectively driving blind? Even if they are doing 70 km/h in a 100 km/h zone and holding up other traffic, their car travels about 40 metres if their eyes off the road for 2 seconds - and 70 km/h is more than enough for a fatal collision. Obviously if the driver drove past a Go Safe van in that situation, everything would be deemed "grand".

As in the Prime Time test, the presenter slowed down when he was distracted by the car's on board sat nav which is what happens when the brain is overloaded. Perhaps the drop in speeding detections is partly explained by people driving more slowly but much more dangerously because they are on their phones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We've had one confirmed and one possible case of another road user killed by a cyclist since the year 2000. That case on Eccles Street is the only case I know of where it's known that an e scooter rider was responsible for the death of another road user.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

terrible piece from primetime, they should have on experts not talking heads from the rsa government and garda

like the only reason the rsa exists is for the gov to have someone to blame

they don't seem to record what caused these crashes and it needs to be all crashes they record not just focusing on deaths, all ones that are attended by the garda

without this data how can they make informed decisions

The numbers of deaths fluctuates wildly year on year, is this just part of the randomness of life

its been a remarkable improvement all in, considering the rise in population over this time has gone from 4 to 5 million

but why has it happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We have the tech to control nearly everything in a car cabin with your voice. Not sure why it isn't used more.

Useful things like

"Make the temperature 18 degrees"

"Turn over to rte radio 1"

"Put on rear demister"

How hard could it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

scooters and push bikes don’t kill people. That just a wild herring.

“but why has it happened?” I would suggest it’s because of no enforcement. Rules of the roads wildly ignored on multiple fronts. It’s repeated on this thread many times by many different posters

if anyone watched primetime last night it seems the jump is entirely in the under 25s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

taylor swift?

thats a joke, back when I was in my early 20s I couldn't afford to get insured

is this the real issue? chape non discriminatory insurance

they didn't mention the breakdown, but I wonder how many of them are men? or had male drivers

we know the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

If it were up to Renko we’d be living like the flinstones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

This is the childish mentality that contributes to a lot of moronic driving on our roads. That, or else some kid here is using their parents account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

GDPR... Causing so many issues across the board. (Not just in road safety)
    Distraction and Repeat Offenders is clearly the main issue.
    This business of not surrendering the licences is a joke.

Solutions are clear:
    Scrap most of GDPR. Government bodies should be allowed to share data with other government bodies and relevant 3rd party stakeholders (insurance companies)
    Your phone can tell when you're traveling in a car. Tell google and apple disable phone functions while driving unless connected to a handsfree system in the car to receive calls
    If you don't have you licence with you when you get disqualified, you go to jail until someone turns up with it at court.

This Red Tape rubbish favours the criminal, and people who drive while disqualified are 100% criminals.

To add Sam Waide, ought to be f**king ashamed of himself, what an appalling interview. Desperate!
    If the RSA won't share the data, to save lives, what is the point of their existence?

Also the Driving test now is clearly a joke. It's not the same test I passed 20 years go.

like I don't even need to read it to know what it says

the increase is entirely in that demographic, it was obvious when they mentioned it last night

even for those who were not male, it was a male driver in many cases

so road junction design, phones, 30 km speed limits

all pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I really think they should publish the cause of road deaths.

Make them anonymous if you want, but make the cause known to people, especially if drink and drugs are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

Ah c'mon thats an exaggeration, we have pneumatic tyres these days and plenty of hot air to inflate them😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,541 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd wonder if the technology is mature enough to work reliably 99% of the time, as it would need to in this context. Would it work well for older drivers?

There was a second one, before Covid I think, maybe 2019 - in Tipperary, outside Clonmel iirc. I never saw any inquest report, so I don't think the full circumstances ever became public.

So about one pedestrian per decade killed by a cyclist, and close to one pedestrian killed each by a motorist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That clonmel one is the one I was referring to as a possible.

As was pointed out, they stopped sharing the data two years before GDPR was enacted. It's not the reason they don't share the data, but it's a handy excuse for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

I'd have my doubts that it would flawlessly work for the Healy Raes or Mattie McGrath types. Maybe AI capable systems can learn to understand what's going on over time

There is no GDPR issue here, as was confirmed by the response from the office of the Data Protection Commissioner. This is a classic misuse of GDPR as an excuse for something.

Government does DO share data with other government bodies, when that sharing is set out in law. The Gardai get daily updates from the insurance companies with details of insured vehicles.

Why would you want to scrap a very sensible regulation that is protecting your data from exploitation by malicious and commercial interests?

How does your phone tell whether you're the driver or passenger in a car?

They broadly do. RSA publish research each year on this. Coronor Inquest reports are widely reported in the press.

It's funny how far you have to exaggerate to have something to complain about.

Snitches? Are you fourteen, hiding your messing from the teacher?

Do you want me to 'snitch' on the burglar I see breaking into your house or the thug I see assaulting your family member? What kind of offences should NOT be reported to Gardai?

I'd have to disagree, it's a deterrent layer of red tape that isn't required.

The regular Joe doesn't know anything about GDPR. The only people that do are GDPR people and the Legal Eagles out there. The process is so cumbersome and fraught with consequence that it's easier just not to share the data, which they are legally entitled to do. So that's what they do, regardless of what the intention in setting it (GDPR) up was.

Like the RSA were sharing data up until 2020 at which point they were told to stop, by "someone"

I don't mean to take the topic off course, but even toward the of covid, Helen Dixon began asking questions of how the department of Social welfare got a hold of information that people were going abroad for "dental work" and claiming some covid allowance at the same time. It doesn't matter how they got it, those people were committing fraud.

Like its viewed very much the DPC is there to help people commit fraudulent acts by deliberately blocking the transmission of data from entity A to entity B, where A and B need to work together.

GDPR was implemented in 2018 with the cut off some time in 2022.

Same Craic with SEPA payments.

There is a start date when you can start using it, and an end date where you have to be using it.

In relation to GDPR, the policy is vague. The main crooks of the policy (as we read it) is you have to have a policy and that policy needs communicated to owners of the data. Doesn't say what has to be in the policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

If somebody is going a few k over the speed limit then I'd suggest people mind their own business…

…. because snitches get stitches

Advertisement