Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭dublin12367

Just had a read. Shouldn’t cause any disruption on services. Seat count for W23 was just under 14.3m.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Apparently it was about 40 minutes on Monday at 10am in T1. A significant amount of secondary checking and swabbing etc. may have been causing the delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Regardless of your opinion about Ulick McEvaddy this is an interesting listen. I still think it's all about pumping up the price of the land but still he is very convincing to listen too.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2024/04/18/third-passenger-terminal-at-dublin-airport-will-be-built-eventually-says-ulick-mcevaddy/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭prunudo

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

He found a niche that turned out to be very profitable and has run with it for the past 30 odd years, so yeah entrepreneur is pushing it for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭roadmaster

When CHC move out of there base next year will it be sold to some other aviation company or do the DAA have other ideas for that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

2 hours on a turboprop? Meh. Very poor replacement imo. Doesn't compete with Ryanair.

Post edited by JCX BXC on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

average flight time on Dublin - Southampton is 65-70 mins, Gatwick isn’t much further really, but is notorious for holding from ATC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

It may be, but as you say until you get to the approach for Gatwick, you won’t start the approach formation with all the other traffic into the single runway. SOU you are pretty much straight in.

I have done LUX-DUB on the Dash 8. Flight time was 2:03 with strong headwinds. I made use of the free drinks on that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jwm121

All Emirates flights from Dubai to Dublin in all classes fully booked until 27th of April

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

MOD POST

Just a polite reminder that this is the infrastructure thread.

MOD POST

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

Back to infrastructure.

The tunnel from east campus to West campus has been approved at ABP.

It now has to wait for 8 weeks for any judicial review objectors.

Building will take 3 years.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Just read up a bit on this, so seems Ryanair and St Margaret’s residents appealed Fingal’s decision to grant permission for the tunnel.

Ryanair - fair enough, they are involved in the airport - they don’t see the purpose or need for the tunnel and don’t want increased fees to pay for it (not surprising coming from Ryanair). Not saying they are right, but they’ve grounds to appeal.

However, I’m struggling to find what grounds St Margaret’s had to appeal Fingal’s decision originally to ABP. Tunnel or no tunnel the noise around the area remains the same, which I presume is their main issue.

I could only see Ryanair taking this to a judicial review out of the two? Even then, would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

However, I’m struggling to find what grounds St Margaret’s had to appeal Fingal’s decision originally to ABP. Tunnel or no tunnel the noise around the area remains the same, which I presume is their main issue.

It's objections for the sake of objections at this stage, they don't have to make sense. Our planning system is a crank's charter.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Would it be possible for Dublin Airport to focus on cargo expansion with cargo airlines using the large west apron while the cap on passenger numbers is in place? Especially if they get permission for the night time noise quota from ABP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Karppi

Cargo is not a good earner for an airport. You can charge a throughput fee per kg/tonne but cargo doesn't attract a passenger charge, and doesn't shop for food, cosmetics, smoked salmon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Great take, a reasonable person would expect the system to say - in an area where there is already much louder noise, on a 24/7 basis, established with 80+ years, a noise appeal should not be considered.

Will our system do this? Absolutely not.

https://x.com/michaelkelly707/status/1784940815346807284?s=46&t=5FNFtv8csMRI--VDBKyc7w

Just came across this from Michael Kelly on X. Looks like pre clearance queue was under a lot of pressure yesterday morning.

Edit - I can’t get link to work but if you copy and paste into search engine it should bring up post.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41384635.html

Apparently Dublin airport will have 40+ million passengers next year rejoice!.. not

another untrue prediction from SMTW. What’s new.?

Statements like the above drive it home that they should be ignored and given very little attention/ consideration by the planners, media and public. Constantly coming out with false exaggerated claims and then they usually throw in a line at the end but but but we’re not against the airport or its expansion… sad really as when’s there’s genuine issues they will go unheard… the boy who cried wolf comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭trellheim

" Looks like pre clearance queue was under a lot of pressure yesterday morning." At that length of queue you have to wonder what value preclearance has, post USPC its not a nice place at all even if you shell out for 51st and Green as the whole circus is crammed into a small enough space with no restaurants , at least with a non USPC departure you know you will get on the plane and get to the USA eventually. Yes you will need to do border screening and customs at the other end either way but I can't see the value here ( and I've been through both a LOT of times)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭user302243

Unless I'm booking on of the earliest flights out and I've a connection anyway I'd avoid preclearance.

Last two times I've cleared in JFK I've walked through. I've missed two flights because Dublin took so long to process me as well which isn't ideal but not that common

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Blut2

I've gone through preclearance probably 50 times in the last decade and never once seen a queue like that. Also fly through T2 tens of times a year and have never once seen queues coming up into the main area like that either.

There must have been some unusual mistake or mess up somewhere surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I was in T2 around that time. The queue was big yeah but maybe about half those in that video were queuing for CBP. The rest were just people in the airport and included people queuing for two flights at gates 410 & 408.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

The area is already at capacity 9a-1p imo, that's before the additional MSP (DL & EI) & DEN. JetBlue is another 150+ pax going through there at peak time.

I honestly prefer to use Shannon & connect in BOS/JFK than suffering DUB at this point for a direct flight. Particularly now DL are running a 767 on the JFK route.

The afternoon flights are fine (which are LAX, IAD #2, ORD, JFK & BOS I think), its not as crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭x567

Shannon is a breeze by comparison to Dublin. I’ve never not walked straight up to the preclearance desk without a queue. The only issue (for me) lately is that EI have nudged back the departure times ex SNN a little which can make connections in JFK/BOS to Central or other further West time zone destinations a bit late and tight. Not such a big issue with United flights to EWR or ORD in the summer season…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Blut2

The real niche CBP pro-tip I think is to fly DUB→AMS→AUA→ the US. AUA has by an absolute mile the most relaxed US border clearance I've ever experienced.

Slightly harder to make work logistically I'll admit, but sure its a good excuse for a few days on the beach in Aruba.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Oh man I thought AUA was a nightmare when I went through there 2022, felt like I was constantly checking/re checking my bag.

I'm lucky I have Global Entry so going via LHR/CDG/AMS/LIS isn't a huge deal. I just do not enjoy post preclearance in DUB for the first bank of departures at all these days, even 51&G is a zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭trellheim

Yep exactly even if you take out the first flight to USA ( which I think is still the United to Newark) post preclearance is horrible its an 0920 so if you want a breakfast you can't get any serious options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Is there anything at all?

I've an AA flight at 09:30 in a few months, I think our current plan was to get breakfast in the terminal and then go through preclearence and just wait.

We considered 51st and Green, but it doesn't come with our ticket so we'd be paying for it, the reviews aren't great and if there was a queue at all in the preclearence we might not have enough time to get our money's worth.

Advertisement