Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

90 minutes is crazy. I'm surprised I haven't seen complaints of people missing their flights. Surely there must have been a lot? I normally only arrive 90 minutes in advance.

I haven't waited more than 10 minutes over the last year or so.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Couldn't tell you the last time I was queuing for more than 10 mins since they got their sh!t together after COVID - you were very unlucky. I would imagine something must have happened to cause it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shamrocka330

I agree, you must have been unlucky as it’s generally very good. Could have been some absence left them short.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Anyone know what's going on on Level 3 of the T2 short term car park? It's been closed for over a month now and with the daa banging on about the lack of spaces you would think they would want this open.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was the old top floor, and with the plans for another two floors there may be some strengthening or something going on. Just a guess, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jwm121

Hainan airlines departing from the Ryanair gates… that's quite embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Departing from Pier 1. Plenty of non-Ryanair airlines use those stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Including SAS, Icelandair, Air Transat, Westjet, Air Canada amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

It's always worth fact checking before posting something that makes you look silly online....

• Advertisement

It's just embarrassing that long haul flights on big aircraft have to use stairs at an international hub. Also the fact that a a330 or 787 load of passengers are shoved into pier d before they board, that must be hectic with it already being so full

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Embarrassing for who? If it is embarrassing when it's a widebody, why is it not if it's a narrowbody (possibly holding almost as many pax as some widebodies)? There many airports (including large ones) where widebodies use non-airbridge stands. There is an example in this video at 4m20sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭moonshy2022

you do understand it’s also an airline choice don’t you ? Everything comes as a cost, it’s cheaper to board via stairs than pay for a bridge gate. It isn’t just down to whether there is or isn’t enough bridge gates. Plus plenty of other international airports use stairs for aircraft. Heathrow being one, where even BAs first class passengers have to climb the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

It is an airline choice to an extent - Ryanair choose not to use air bridges for example.

However at Dublin there aren't enough gates with air bridges for everyone who wants to use them. The likes of Air Canada, WestJet, Hainan and Turkish clearly would prefer to use air bridges as they do at most other airports and at Dublin when available. Even airlines that always the 100/200 gates at Dublin like BA, SAS and Icelandair would almost certainly prefer to use air bridges at Dublin if there were actually enough of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Ryanair are the main user of that pier and are not willing to pay for air bridges. It was designed to have them retrofitted but Ryanair don't want them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Last year I flew LHR-HKG with Cathay. We were bussed to a remote stand and boarded the B777 via steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I’m not sure it’s an issue really. I flew DUB-DOH-CPT return on either an a350 or a B787.
    All flights in DOH I was bussed from remote stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Last two times I've flown to Dubai with Emirates from Dublin we've landed at a remote stand in Dubai, had to use the stairs and were bused to the terminal.

At least they've separate business class buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭trellheim

I absolutely love airstairs, they really help with boarding if the airline is smart enough to do front and back. I remember happily boarding a 747 in Johannesburg via stairs , wasnt an issue. The Ryanair gates have no need for them, and I know that's not the correct name for that area as a bunch of other airlines use it too.

Absolute pain in the ass flying BA to Heathrow and everyone has to go out the single airbridge. Yet the same airline flying to London City has no problem with you walking down a stairs and across the tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ULEZ23

is there need for the pile on of repeat posts, the point has been made that plenty of airlines both in Dublin and other large airports don’t all use air bridges and the poster has been rightly corrected.

If I can add a different perspective to the love of the airport bus, I wouldn’t call it a non issue, it’s a big inconvenience and one i don’t like. If you play your cards right and get a seat at the front of the plane in the hope of a speedy exit it can be wasted if buses get involved. It takes ages to load the bus, bus likely has to drive a long distance, then you are all dumped at the same time into passport arrivals and you may gotten the short straw and 100 people manage to pass you out, knock on impact if you are hiring a car trying to make a train, trying to do x and y quickly. You lose control over the ability to exit the airport fast.

And the bus is uncomfortable, waiting to load, waiting for the driver, swaying, people on top of you, people taking up too much room, messing with seats, mini push to exit. How can posters say this is not an issue just so they can have either a pile on against a poster or a chance to “Willie wave” as a mod recently put it. Strange.

And that’s before you talk about the weather risk and potentially having to queue to get on the plane and in the process getting soaked and then the fun of sitting in wet clothes for a few hours flight after. Jet bridge please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Lockheed

You are correct that it is not best practice from a PaxEx perspective. But it is not embarrassing to board an aircraft from a contact pier via steps. The Willie wave was realistically just because it was called "embarrassing" when really it's just a normal thing to do from an Airport perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ULEZ23

to emphasise my point, it’s 11oc at night and you have just landed on an aer Lingus plane, you are in row 5 (no check in) and tired after a long days work and the airport commute and have the drive to your house ahead of you, plane is taxing towards t2 in the rain and there are two scenarios

1. You dock at a the main terminal and get to use an air bridge, hop off and walk quickly to passport control and off home.
    2. Or, Plane turns right to the crappy remote pier. It WILL take extra time and you have to endure the crappy bus experience (see my in above post outline the joys of the bus, it’s more than just a time inconvenience).

I can’t see anyone not being disappointed with the plane turning right.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've never had an inbound flight use the remote gates; its not inbound/outbound seperated so I'm not sure it can even happen.

However, at 11pm on an EI flight, you're probably going to go to the 300 gates and have an exceptionally long walk to T2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Karppi

Also, the airline won't want the cost of towing the aircraft to its departure gate for the first wave. So it's easier (and cheaper) for the operator to pre-position it on last arrival so it's ready for first departure, and walk/bus arriving passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Noxegon

In fairness left turns generally result in a better passenger experience.

For what it's worth, the longest walk from a 300 gate to passport control is around 300m. That's actually shorter than the far end of the 400 gates, which is 400m end to end.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Inbound use the south gates all the time. Pax are bussed to the terminal! It’s not ideal but sure if that’s someone’s biggest gripe with a plane ride then things aren’t going too badly.

Bussed direct from stand rather than going in to the gate building I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Qaanaaq

Have to agree. I don't mind boarding by steps at all as long as you can walk across from the gate, but i hate anytime there is a bus involved. It can be a unpleasant experience.

I think the DAA could add a few bridges to the Ryanair pier if they wanted to on some of the more frequent shared gates, I'm sure it was designed with the facility to add them in later if required. Ryanair don't have to use them.

There is a bit of an obsession by some people about Air Bridges though, If anybody can remember the online chatter when the new terminal was being built in Cork. It went viral.

For Ryanair it is the time advantage for not using an airbridge rater than a money saving exercise.

• Advertisement

IAA are proposing a seat cap in their draft decision for winter 2024-25 of 14.4 million seats by slots

Advertisement