Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah, his response hasn't been great.

I'm keeping an eye on Obsidian and there upcoming new game 'Avowed'

I really liked the Outer Worlds

Post edited by TheValeyard on

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Ì actually rather enjoyed it as well. I didn't go in with much expectation, and it certainly wasn't a great game, but it was enjoyable and I had a good bit of fun with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I got the Starfield console wrap:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't know about you but I remember when Oblivion and Skyrim launched and they were like gaming crack cocaine, I literally couldn't pull myself away from my PC and when I did it was to do the bare minimum just to allow me to go and play again. Starfield hasn't hooked people in the same way I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I was referring to Outer Worlds with that, for the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lol, I finished the game there. Got the achievement, the credits rolled, then it crashed and I can't start new game plus now unless I do the ending again. No interest in playing it anyway.

I enjoyed it but got bored at about 50 hours and went off and played some other things, came back to it after 3-4 weeks and finished off the main questline and enjoyed it much more again after the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lol, I finished the game there. Got the achievement, the credits rolled, then it crashed and I can't start new game plus now unless I do the ending again. No interest in playing it anyway.

I enjoyed it but got bored at about 50 hours and went off and played some other things, came back to it after 3-4 weeks and finished off the main questline (had already finished all the faction missions) and enjoyed it much more again after the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I enjoyed it though it was gifted to me so I didn't pay for it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Luna84

I thought it was a brilliant game but I can see why there are not many players after finishing it as I put over 120 hours into it and there is not much left to do unless you want to explore each planet but the buildings you get to are the exact same as you already done so not much to gain from exploring any further. I bought it on Xbox to play early even though I have Gamepass and got it free on steam with a AMD CPU.

• Advertisement

I'm on my 1st NG+ so it's fun to be a lil over powered and I'm also loving the Starborn dialogue options 😂 I have it on the series x so hoping the mods come soon.

Anyone still playing? I'm dipping in and out of it from time to time. Updates haven't really added/fixed much yet (I'm on Xbox) but I am looking forward to DLC whenever that comes. Honestly the game would be much better if there wasn't so much load screens. That's a big immersion breaker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll jump in once the 60fps patch is out.

Great game you will not regret it. I put well over either 110 or 120 hours into this game.

Stopped playing last month, will give it a bash again if console mods are ever released.

60fps mode finally coming to SX, so will give this a proper go in a while. Unless reviews say it's broken.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The new update looks promising.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Might give it a whirl, I see there is some Shattered Space DLC news starting to emerge now too. Not landing until Q4 though unfortunately.

I haven't touched the game since December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

I actually am stuck with nothing to play since I finished tomb raider remaster, with the update I may give it a whirl

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wouldn't get too excited about the 60 FPS mode just yet if you don't have a VRR display (and, I mean, it's still Starfield at the end of the day :P) - as the patch notes say, 'Screen tearing may occur at times when selecting 60 on a non-VRR display'. That suggests it's uneven, though I'm sure Digital Foundry will report back in due course about whether it hits its target. Hopefully it does hit it for the most part, but the language being used seems to be very much hedging their bets.

Good to see a 40 FPS mode added though - while that's probably going to apply to TVs that likely do have VRR anyway, it can be a very nice compromise between image quality, performance and latency.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,835 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I doubt I'll bother with it unless the DLC is free, which of course it won't be. Bought it for €60 on disc and then they cut the price in half, which is a more realistic price for the broken horrible mess it still is. This made the loss on selling the disc rather large. I got it on xbox and the performance is really grating. My son built me a system that fairly closely emulates a Steamdeck, except with a more capable GPU, so Ideally I would liked to have sold the disc and re-bought on Steam.

AMD had Avatar FOP as an incentive with the GPU and once I tried that it was goodbye Starfield. Now that's how you do an Alien world and immersion, characters, story and graphics. Now I am very keen on getting Star Wars Rebels from the same developer.

Bethesda's bug fixing performance still leaves me cold and failing to comprehend their mindset. They fix endless lists of little trivial things, most of which I never even noticed, and yet fail to fix the most basic problems that have a major impact on gameplay and user experience. In my current play through, both ship services techs on Mars and Neon are still AWOL, and have been from early on. If I land in about half my ships on Titan and Gagarin I am stuck pinned underneath my ship with the only fix being a reload from an earlier save. How messed up is that?

I have a broken mission in my list of things to complete, but after the last update, I still have it in the list but it's dead as in you can't use the link to return to the planet it was based on. Don't know if they fixed the mission or just were lazy and deleted it, which I rather suspect.

So new DLC when the base game is still a broken mess doesn't enthuse me and their incomprehensibly bad bug fixing strategy to date does not inspire confidence that the next update will be any different.

I could also wait for it to come to PS5… seeing as MS are bringing their games to other consoles, the lure of more money may make Todd make the decision. Then again, would make the whole legal battle pointless.

I played this game on Xbox while putting over 110 hours into it and never came across any game breaking bugs.

I also own it on PC and played a bit of it on there. 7800X3D and 7900 XTX and I find the Xbox version was just as good.

I have more than 10 times as many hours on it, so maybe I just found more challenging situations, such as heavy fights with a few terramorphs around. Can you honestly say you don't get frame rate issues running the Red Mile, which degrades to freeze-frame at times? On Xbox the frame rate frequently drops to single digits in several busy locations. Just standing on the most barren moon you can find and panning sideways quickly - quick being normal human head movement - is so frame rate jarring to me it almost hurts. If these issues don't bother you, then I envy you your equanimity.

Now saying your 7900 xtx delivers just as bad graphical performance as a series X, I find baffling, because here is the difference between the two:

While I don't have Starfield on Steam, I do have Kingdom Come Deliverance on both platforms and it's very GPU intensive, and the performance difference is considerably better on the 7900 xtx, as it should be, given the card alone cost double what the series X did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I agree that a decent PC should provide an objectively, undisputably better experience with the game, but just to ask… when you say '10 times as many hours', do you mean you played 1,000+ hours of a game you consider a 'broken horrible mess'? 😅

Yes, I'm stubborn in wanting my €60 worth. My son has an inredible number of games, and even with the performance of a high end gaming PC he bailed after little more than a week and hasn't touched it since. If it weren't for the ship builder I too would have pulled the plug long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Its hardly a broken mess. It is without a doubt Bethesdas most stable release and that's thanks to Xbox giving (forcing?) them to take an extra year to polish it.

The only bug I came across in my 70+ hrs was when you're talking to an npc but approach them from an unusual angle and they end up talking with their back to you or talking to you from behind a pillar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's going to have vehicles soon. Finally!

Even Moon Patrol had vehicles !

• Advertisement

Lucky you.

Here I am permanently stuck, having spawned underneath my ship at New Homestead. To reload from the last save took 46 seconds, from a supposedly fast SSD.

Here I am fruitlessly looking for the ship services tech at Cydonia. After all the updates this is still not fixed.

I have a starparcel to deliver at Neon; any ideas how to swim down to where he is?

Out of these missions to complete, One is Awol, possibly deleted, and those two delivery contracts are permanently broken and can not be fulfilled. One of them is so bad there isnt even a mission terminal at the receiving end.

Add the star parcel job and that's 4 out of 8 broken. The Inter system cargo link system is still as completely stuffed as it was at launch.

In my defence, 122 of those hours were just loading screens and another 110 were waiting for previous saves to load. 😂

Advertisement