Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think it’s pretty normal for player count to spike around release and then quickly go down as people move on to other games, especially as it’s a single player game. The main quest is about 30 hours and that’s usually enough for most people.

Think this’ll be well supported by Bethesda and modders for a good while.

Bethesda have stated they intend to support the game with updates for years, saying that they will implement community requests too. It's all online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Kind of funny. Don't shoot me.

This person was thread banned before. Just report and ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Something about building ships and outposts is really enjoyable and that and lots of things I've read about it "getting better later" and something about NG+ (I've avoided spoilers) has been keeping me going, but man it's such a bad game at times.

There was a main quest mission to just fix a damaged station, which involved most of the team dotted around and you were running from place to place to help with simple repairs. This kind of mission can be great for pacing and for character building, a bit of downtime with no burning plot or action getting in the way to allow for personalities to come out. But no, it was absolute pointless busy work. You walk up to a character, they ask you to grab a wrench, you pick up the wrench, and a text box comes up on screen saying "you picked up the wrench and fixed the thing", presumably due to the engine's inability to actually animate anything being done. Repeat x6, with a run down a maze of samey corridors between each. No conversation or anything of interest for the entire thing.

Another main quest to steal a thing from a guy. I got to the place and used persuasion to get the guy to bring me to the thing. Used powers I got from another side quest to manipulate the guy to leave the room, confirmed I was hidden, grabbed the thing, and was immediately caught as the game camera pointed at the wall the guy was standing behind in another room as if he was there next to me. I tried reloading a bunch of times but it looks like it was just scripted that you definitely must get caught. What's worse, it also seems to be scripted that after you get caught everything goes into alert, but you shoot at the main guy he halts and gives a chance to negotiate. But because I'd sent him away (and he went wandering off further once combat started), I'd killed 80% of the station before bumping back into him and negotiating (with dialogue that completely failed to acknowledge the massacre I'd just committed). I did notice during all that combat that there were some hidden routes that I think I could have taken to complete the mission stealthily if I'd never used persuasion, but it all just fell down if I found my own way of stealthing it.

Later on in the game I'm passing a security station, I'd done some quests for the security guard there a few times, he chips in with a friendly "hey it's my favourite part time security officer", so I go over to ask if there's any more jobs and he immediately switches into a totally different mode and tone, completely forgetting what he had just said and arresting me - the game doesn't say why I was arrested but presumably for the aforementioned main quest that forced me to steal a thing. It's all very jarring and immersion breaking.

There's a thin venere of an RPG here, it acts like you can approach things in different ways, but it just doesn't have the depth of systems to actually support that and completely breaks immersion through it's inability to handle the player going off script, and its complete inability for NPCs to behave in any way other than all out combat, or staring into space and speaking without context of what has gone before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭PixelPlayer

I think its because everything there is to discuss has been discussed, without getting into spoilers.

I'm 72 hrs in and moving on. I'm pretty happy with my time playing it and I still have some faction missions I can do if I ever want to dip back in.

I'll definitely be back for some DLC and I'd love if they could give more purpose to outpost building because at the moment there's no requirement in the game to do anything more than a basic base for resource gathering.

But for now I consider the game "completed" and i am moving on. But I have thoroughly enjoyed the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

New patch just released. But alas they did not fix the one bugged quest that I have suffered the bug for. So far all bugs they have fixed have not happened to me anyway :) Todays 1GB patch only fixes a bug in one mission it seems. The "Echos of the past" mission which I had no bug on.

There is a way around the bug I am getting I've heard - which involves aggro-ing people so they glitch through a door that is closed that should be open - and then running away until they all unagro again and you can magically talk to them again as if nothing happened. But the effort of even doing this has me put off. So will probably just wait until they finally patch that one. Which is a shame as it's one of the missions I was actually half way enjoying.

Dipping in and out of the game a little and not really playing it. But the only other mission I have found enjoyable so far is the faction series where you work as a kind of double agent spy. Won't say more but obvious which one I mean if you've done it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭warrior00

I have been playing this game well over 60 hours and just joined the Crimson Fleet. I'm not sure I like it as it goes against how I have played the game so far. I have done all the missions for the Freestar Collective and UC so all that's left is the Crimson Fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

I'm in the middle of the Crimson Fleet quest line now and it's been the best part of the game so far for me, probably the first quests I've genuinely really enjoyed.

• Advertisement

I was playing this for a few hours yesterday and the Crimson Fleet missions are good. For some reason I thought I was going to have to go on massive killing and looting spree's. They even have their own shops on the base which I was not expecting.

I finally played this game on PC for the first time and I do not know what all the fuss is about regarding bad performance. I am playing at 4k on a 120Hz OLED and it ran perfectly at high refresh rates. Granted I do have a 7900 XTX and a 7800X3D.

I have been playing till now on Xbox. I got Starfield on PC free at release but I wasn't downloading the game a second time at launch as I live in the sticks with really slow internet. I will continue playing on Xbox it was just to see how it played on PC and the devs are right saying you should upgrade your computer to play it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

You have a super powerful up to date pc so of course your not having bad performance 🤷‍♂️🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, your 2 graphics cards alone could buy 3 XSXs! And even though its better on PC you're still gonna play on Xbox? My brain doesn't understand that.

Do we think XSX will ever get a 60fps mode?

I play the majority of my games on Xbox even though I have a high spec PC. I have always had a decent spec PC over the years and always played on Xbox from my standard Xbox One then on release my One X and then on release my Series X. I like gaining my achievements on Xbox. I'm one of those where 30FPS doesn't bother me.

You get achievements on PC too with the MS Store\Game Pass version.

What do you use your PC for?

You should install Sunshine on your PC for streaming and Moonlight on your xbox as a client, then you can play PC games on your xbox. It's like time travel and having the next gen Xbox already 😀

Oh and install Playnite on your PC and use it as the dash on moonlight.

You also get to play PS ports on your xbox, which is not just time travel but multi-dimensional travel. The satisfaction of playing Spider-Man on the Xbox in particular is something special.

You get achievements on PC too with the MS Store\Game Pass version.

I have Gamepass on PC as I have the highest level what ever it's called on Xbox which gives access to both.

I don't like downloading games from Windows Store(never tired GP on there) as I live in the sticks with bad internet and I downloaded a decent chunk of a game and came back to continue downloading it again another day and all the previous download is gone. Really annoying, though that was a few years ago and it could be better now but I cannot be bothered to try.

With all the free games you get on PC store fronts and then GamePass on Xbox there is not enough time to play games on every platform. As I said in a post up above I play majority of my games on Xbox and just prefer it.

I just use the PC for general browsing and the odd game, Netflix and mostly running benchmarks. I don't benchmark all the time maybe once every two months or so. I like to beat my previous score or go up the leaderboard on Hwbot.

Cool. The building and overclocking aspect to gaming is definitely a big part of the hobby. It's a pity about your broadband issues and you cannot enjoy gaming on your rigs.

Xbox most definitely is better at downloading and the way it updates overnight even while switched off is fantastic, nothing on PC compares to it. I get approx 600mbps on xbox and only about 40-50mbps downloading on the xbox app or MS store on PC.

That used to be a problem where you'd have to start downloads again if there was any kind of interruption. I think they have fixed that now. You can switch off your PC and when you start back up again it continues where you left off.

Give it a try again. It's a shame to have a top spec PC and be gaming on an xbox I have to say.

Saw this video on Reddit. He used a console command to speed up flying from one moon to another.

A small change like this would make such a big difference, where this transition could mask the loading. Then the only ship loading screen would be the take off/landing sequence.

https://reddit.com/r/Starfield/s/bsfDiAxeOT

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm not sure if I'm glad that I'm enjoying it or sad that I'm wasting so much time on a video game... 😂

You still playing it? Thought you had finished with it no? I'm still loving it as a hop in and out type of game, feels like endless content.

I took a break after I finished it. Now I'm trying a different character.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm glad I savescum a lot.

I somehow got ejected from my ship upon leaving a random planet.

Was literally stuck on a barren rock with no hope of building an outpost or rescue.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

This is such a great game. I'm nearly finished the crimson fleet missions. The ship you go to to get the legacy credits is way bigger than it looks when you go to dock.

I'm just digging deeper into the outpost stuff.

I'm doing a character run where I can't purchase any resources. I can only mine, extract or loot resources. It really slows the pace down when you have to collect everything. I'm enjoying it.

I've always enjoyed fun self imposed challenges in Skyrim. So this extends into Starfield now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Skyrim inventory management, on console, is a pain in the ass. I don't think there is a decent mod on consoles for that. Really enjoy Skyrim, but that always pulls me out of the experience. These are things they should fix when doing anniversary editions etc.

I see this a lot but I have no issues navigating menus and inventory.

I think the major hurdle that people can't clear is that you don't have to pick up every object you see.

Edit: I thought you meant Starfield. Skyrim UI isn't great.

• Advertisement

I'm just about 80 hours into this and only just arrived on the eye. I finished up the crimson fleet missions and should have followed my gut and sided with the CF as they weren't that bad of a group. I was afraid I would be banned from all settlements if I did go with them so I just went to the army guys or what ever they were called(I cannot even remember what they were called and I only played it about an hour ago).

This is such a good game and I do not know where all the criticism is coming from.

Advertisement