Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

It's just the Bethesda Bad meme. I could tell you right now who on this forum will not like The Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm looking forward to both of them as I assume they'll have far less loading and thus less immersion breaking . Loved Skyrim and Fallout 3.

Yeah I agree on the loading screens they can be annoying but I'm able to enjoy it, nonetheless.

It's a great game otherwise. My favourite thing about their previous titles is being able to just do whatever you fancy like a life simulator and Starfield still has that. I'm 235 hours in and this is definitely going to be a game I tip away at for years.

I'd personally give it an 8/10. Which seems to correlate roughly with metacritic. I'd even understand someone giving it a 7/10. I don't see why that's a bad thing. Like what's the point in a 10 point rating system if everything below 9 is a "disaster"? I've played some games that got 6 and I enjoyed them.

But the volume of negativity shown to the game is too much, imo. You'd swear it was a Cyberpunk/Fallout 76 disaster launch.

Some of the posts on Reddit are hilarious. "I have 200 hours in Starfield and I am so done with this game". I mean yeah, if you played for 200 hours you probably had a decent time no?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Starfield isn't a patch on either of those games (or FNV) or even Fallout 4. It's just average. I mean, it's ok. It's a 5/10 if we use a proper 0-10 scale. Some good, some bad, mostly just ... meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭warrior00

I never knew there was

special powers in this game. I just received my first just now.

I was going mad doing side missions and exploring and have only now started to do main quests. I'm way over powered too. I maybe should get it off normal setting and go to hard. I have done the majority side missions now well apart from the ones you may get when you land on a planet and meet friendly as they usually give you a quest to find someone or collect something for them.

• Advertisement

This game...

Anyway, I thought it might be fun to share "I didn't know you could do that" hints and tips.

Spoiler free, of course.

I'll offer a couple:

1. I only discovered recently that you can get up and walk around in your ship while in space. Just bring your ship to a halt and hold B (controller).

2. Do you have a lot of stuff at your base that you don't want any more, but you can't be arsed selling? Simply kill an animal close to your base and fill their corpse with your unwanted junk. They can store a lot! It will despawn with all the junk. A scrap junk option would be handy.

3. I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I noticed that enemy detection is a lot more sensitive than Skyrim or Fallout, but I think it seems to be heavily based on your weight. So if you're wearing a bulky spacesuit, they're probably going to hear you no matter what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭PixelPlayer

1. I only discovered recently that you can get up and walk around in your ship while in space. Just bring your ship to a halt and hold B (controller).

You can also do it in the middle of a battle as I have done accidentally on a couple of occassions. I think it might be E on PC, which can be easily hit in the heat of battle. I think you've to hold it down, so I've probably pressed it instead of W to move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's E indeed, I've done it multiple times, got up slowly and casually in the middle of the battle.

Can you not remap it to a letter far away from wasd.

• Advertisement

I don't know if you can remap long press E independently of short press E. And you need short press E handy to switch the current target lock while fighting. It shouldn't be an option to get up while in combat, just like fast travel is locked during combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,845 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I was many hours into the game before my son told me you can pick up objects and manipulate them after I said to him I thought it a pitty you couldn't.

It's amusing to tidy up a captured ship by picking up the bodies of crew and dumping them in a corner or down a hatch. It's also useful for hoarding resources at an outpost.

A crate only holds 150 worth of items or resources, but if you make one of those teal coloured plastic storage crates, it can hold the equivalent of a hab full of normal crates. If you have 2000 of chlorine and want to store it in a crate, you will need 14 crates or gas storage tanks, requiring a lot of material to make. But if you drop it, you will get two containers each holding 1000. Pick the containers up and drop them in the plastic crate and there's still room for several tens more. Same for large heavy resources like aldumite drilling rigs or microsecond relays. If you have, say, 40 relays and you drop them, each of the two created will hold 20, which you can then pick up and drop into a plastic crate.

If your crate is full of stuff and you cant see what you are looking for, just enter build mode and move the crate and all the resources will stay in place and spill out in a pile, usually making the item you are after easy to spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Does stuff not in containers despawn eventually?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It's not really, the game has a lot of flaws but it's still enjoyable.

No, it's one of the features of the game. it'll always be where you left it. I often wonder if it is partly why there is so much loading. They have to load everything into its last position and there is so much that can move around right down to ash trays, decks of cards, sandwiches and potatoes.

It's the Bethesda way. I remember in Fallout I would store stuff in a bin when I took all the money from a shop keeper and had no where else to put it as I wanted to sell them when they got more money. And everything was still there when you came back to it later even after doing quests and loading in and out of different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

me at the screen in the middle of a battle:

WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!! SIT THE FCUK DOWN AND SHOOT!!!!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

The shield alarms are blaring and the bastard is casually up out of the seat to grab a beer 😄

New update:

Update Highlights

Nvidia DLSS Support

This update introduces Nvidia DLSS support for our PC players. Compatible Nvidia graphic cards can now use DLSS Super Resolution, Deep Learning Anti-aliasing (DLAA), Nvidia Reflex Low Latency, and DLSS Frame generation. Please note: While DLSS Frame Generation is active, VSync needs to be toggled OFF to see the benefit. We are working to automatically adjust this setting in a future update.

Let Them Eat!

By popular request, we have added the ability to ingest food and drink items upon finding them in the environment. You can enjoy those Chunks immediately or save them for later. The choice is yours.

Fixes and Improvements

Performance And Stability

Addressed a number of memory related issues and leaks.

\[PC Only\] Add some GPU performance optimizations, which will be more impactful on higher end cards.

\[PC Only\] Improved renderer threading model, improving CPU usage most notably on higher end systems.

Various stability and performance improvements.

Gameplay

Added the ability to eat the food placed in the world

Adjusted stealth to be a bit more forgiving.

Fixed an issue where Andreja’s head would stay permanently cloaked.

Fixed an issue that could prevent players from firing their weapons.

Fixed issues where some NPC could be seen not wearing clothes.

Fixed an issue where already in-progress skill challenges could stop progressing after reaching the Unity and starting a new game.

Fixed an issue that could temporarily prevent opening the inventory or saving after entering the Unity.

PC: Fixed an issue where mouse movement could be choppy.

Fixed a rare issue that could cause the home ship to be lost.

Fixed an issue where the ship services technician might be missing.

Graphics

Addressed an issue with how ambient occlusion appeared in ultrawide resolutions.

Optimized initial shader compilation that occurs on start-up.

Added the ability to adjust Brightness and Contrast in the Display Settings menu.

Added the ability to adjust HDR Brightness provided that the system supports it. (Xbox & Windows 11 only).

Addressed a number of materials that could sometimes present an unintended pattern under certain conditions.

Fixed various visual issues related to the new FOV slider options.

Improved the appearance of the eyes on crowd characters.

Addressed a number of minor visual issues related to lighting, shadows, terrain, and vegetation.

Quests

All That Money Can Buy: Fixed a rare issue where players couldn’t sit during the negotiation with Musgrove.

Blast Zone: Fixed an issue where the hard rocks that need to be cleared out by players will not appear on Ngodup Tate’s land.

Echoes of the Past: Fixed an issue where the Grylloba Queen could sometimes not be reachable during the objective “Secure the Shuttle Bay”.

Eye of the Storm: Fixed an issue where players' quest progression could potentially be blocked due to a missing docking prompt.

Grunt Work: Addressed an issue where progress could appear blocked if “Supra et Ultra” was completed while returning to the Lodge during “High Price to Pay”.

No Sudden Moves: Fixed an issue the that could prevent the entrance door to the Scow ship from being opened again.

Operation Starseed: Fixed an issue where the key that is needed to exit the facility could sometimes not be present.

Sabotage: Fixed an issue where David Barron could potentially not be found by players.

Short Sighted: Fixed an issue where players could rarely become control-locked while speaking with Vladimir.

The Heart of Mars: Fixed an issue where players might not be able to mine the “The Heart of Mars”.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I only played this a little around release but the beta patch seems to have massively boosted my performance. A few oddities DLSS settings don't seem to save without resetting settings back to default first and DLAA seems to not work at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

Been playing on the Xbox since it came out, I’ve easily already put more time in than the rest of Bethesda games,

very relaxing I find it

and more importantly not depressing like the Fallout series

I too have been playing it since the 1st September. I'm currently playing the side missions where you work for a company in Neon. I loved the stealth aspect you eventually have to do for them by sneaking through vents. The same as you done for the Crimson Fleet in some of their missions.

I'm 254 hours deep now.

Like someone said above its very relaxing just exploring... until some hostile creature jumps you out of nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was telling a friend earlier that this is just fallout in space but I actually prefer the space setting (he very much did not agree), but couldn't put my finger on why. More relaxing is probably it.

I wish they had the fallout version of hacking into computers. Starfields version with the digipicks is annoying I find. It's not bad it's just I get more of a satisfaction in the fallout way. But I haven't played a Fallout game in years(Fallout 4 at launch was my last. I'm not an online gamer so never played 56) so maybe I'm just looking through rose tinted glasses.

Those missions for Riyjan(or what ever it's called) went on for ever. Not that it is a bad thing. I enjoyed them. I found the stealth aspect in the last mission to be far harder than previous stealth mission that are in the game. I finished it just now.

There is no proper stealth missions in this game, you can cheese any "stealth" mission by hiding and waiting out, in a minute or two they will forget they saw an intruder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The more I play of this the more disappointed I become in it unfortunately. It's just the total lack of locations, 1000 planets yet on missions I find myself visiting the same 5-6 locations over and over again.

I never felt that. I have like 87 hours in this game. Obviously you go to the cities a lot but there are different places you visit in each city when doing the missions. Especially side missions.

• Advertisement

I have been thinking more about this. What missions have you done that you went to the same place? Maybe you just started playing as I can tell you now it is a massive game and you do NOT go to the same places all the time especially when doing missions and side missions.

And thinking more you do go to the same place when receiving a quest but that is the same as in real life as the quest giver either lives there or works there so obviously you go back to the city as that is usually where they are.

Advertisement