Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

There are just a handful of locations which are properly developed and countless caves small settlements and space age industrial locations which all look the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭warrior00

I agree when you go exploring different planets yes the industrial locations can have the same layout but when playing the main game and side quests the locations are different.

Not different enough and too few fully developed locations for a game set in multiple solar systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

Only just starting but finding it difficult to stay on track of my missions, any tips on what to concentrate on first, will I just stay with main story missions??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Depends really, like most Bethesda games there are decent reward behind completing faction quests.

Personally I always try to complete the quest for at least one faction before finishing the main game.

One difference in this game also seems to be that factions don't care what other factions you have helped. So picking one faction doesn't rule you out of the others.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, just seems to be a bit confusing with the missions and factions but if factions dont care about other factions I suppose thats different. Started out not liking the game initially but the more I play the more I see that there seems to be a decent game here and what Bethesda weer trying to do, it is very Fallout in space though.

It is a good game, it has its problems and missed opportunities and it tries to be too many things at once, but it is good.

Bethesda have always been about shooting for the moon but never quite reaching it.

Modders tend to fill the holes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

There's no universe in which I'd describe Starfield as "shooting for the moon".

• Advertisement

No, not particularly bothered either way. It's a pretty odd response though.

Zero effort posts only. Got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭PixelPlayer

https://x.com/IGN/status/1724539892959695340?s=20

Funny, I made my character a bearded old dude. I only just learnt you can create new characters within the same game, as in not have restart the game. Not sure if its true.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah there is a place that lets you change your look. It won't let you change your background or traits though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,714 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You can change your appearance at Enhance shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Compared to Skyrim or Fallout 4 this game has more holes than swiss cheese though. I am hopeful that next year with a dlc or two and lots of mods I'll be able to go back and enjoy it because I got bored after around 40 hours.

I have too many games on the go anyway.

Last patch brings huge performance improvements, especially when CPU bottlenecked, and DLSS and Reflex.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Have they implemented any sort of frame generation yet?

I don't see it, but it may be because I'm on a 3080ti. What I can tell is that in places like Akila and Jemison the framerate went from under 60 to over 70 and the GPU load went up considerably, so they fixed / improved the CPU bottleneck significantly.

• Advertisement

Really want to like Starfield but just something about it is putting me off. Dont get me wrong I am enjoying the game overall. major downside though is the loading screens especially opening doors. Keep thinking I can enter VATS when I get into combat. Im lost with the mission structure layout. Is there anyway you can see what missions are close to you, or even in the same star system??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

What I really miss is a radio or music soundtrack while exploring. Started the crimson fleet questline and it killed the game for me for some reason, maybe it's all the go here and do this etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah, interstellar radio would be awesome, even if just while in your ship. It's small stuff like that that made the Fallout universe feel like it lived and breathed. Starfield feels lifeless by comparison.

Thats me done with Starfield I think. Finished off the main storyline and as much side quests as I could take. Dont really have any interest to stick around exploring. Endgame I felt was completely underwhelming but over all I enjoyed my time with it. Wont uninstall just yet, maybe I might dip back in after a break away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I've also given it a break, probably have 50'ish hours of gameplay put into it. I got distracted with Cities Skyline 2 and haven't had the urge to go back to Starfield.

The game certainly isn't Bethesda's finest. The writing is bland, to say the least. Didn't find the main story all that engaging and an awful lot of the side missions are boring. That's the biggest issue I have with the game and it's not something mods can fix.

I have enjoyed playing it but it has not lived up to expecations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I've been dipping in and out of it.

Playing between BG3, Cyberpunk 2.0, Stellaris and Starfield.

Think Starfield needs it's own Cyberpunk 2.0. That game is vastly improved on what it was. Much more fun.

Maybe another year of cooking and Starfield will be a better experience. I'm loving the game, but it's just missing that, cannot put me finger on it.....

When Skyrim came out, it was like Gaming Cocaine. Could not wait to play it and go explore. Starfield is missing that buzz. Even silly fun quests, like going on a mad session and waking up missing all your stuff and having a Giants Toe in your pocket.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Cyberpunk's problem was that the game just wasn't finished. I don't think there's any kind of update that can fix the core issue with Starfield which is the lack of exploration, it would take an entirely new game and engine to get that right. Quite long but decent video that touches on it here:

There are things that can be added and things that can be taken out to make it much better: add some sort of hovercraft, remove gravjump and fast travel limitations, remove door opening loading screens. But indeed nothing will make this the great game it should have been.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Exploration is where it nose dived for me, nothing really interesting on the planets, such a shame.

• Advertisement

Well, the design director on Starfield director isn't happy that we don't like his bland product.

His feelings appear hurt and we just don't understand how games are made, we should be grateful really.

Jesus wept. Compared to the Total War community release today, it just smacks of crybaby mentality.

Advertisement