Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) Files

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

It's starting.

It's the beginning of the end.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

You’re very very wrong.

The reason the LGB Alliance was formed was because LGB people had been ideologically hijacked by the rest of the acronym, the TQIA2S+ etc. They saw that RIGHTLY they were just part of society, lived their lives and had thankfully gone from tolerance and acceptance to just being the same as everyone else. And they wanted to use that.

They were formed because for all the talking about ending conversion therapy - the current medicine based gender ideology is nothing but that! Young lesbians are being told that they must accept physically intact biological males as lesbians, they are not allowed to hold a simple lesbian-only dating nights without males protesting outside, often violently.

Young people who don’t follow old fashioned stereotypes are pushed into “transitioning” - when they may well grow up to be health happy gay adults, they are pushed into becoming straight trans men and trans women. Theit sexual orientation is not a phase - it’s hard wired into them. You “transition” a young woman, who might dress stereotypically male but be attracted to women and you’ve removed one lesbian.

It’s insidious, it’s regressive and it has damaged gay people - hence the need for the LGB Alliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Do we have a sense of how many Irish parents allowed their children to receive puberty blockers?

Are these people completely stupid?

1. I think the figure was 200 or so if I recall a report from the HSE correctly. Oh and all paid for by the Treatment Abroad Scheme - I.e. us taxpayers.
    2. Yes, perhaps an argument could ke be made for naive but I’d agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What’s the difference between what I wrote, and what you wrote?

It’s why the few headballs formed the LGB Alliance, because they felt they weren’t being given the respect they felt they were owed. I mean, they were right in the sense that they weren’t given any respect, but that was because of their opinions, not because of their sexual orientation.

Mine was more a summary I guess 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Naive is too kind.

This has been obviously a stupid fad the last few years. Bizarrely there are some parents who are encouraging this.

I think the figure was 200 or so if I recall a report from the HSE correctly. Oh and all paid for by the Treatment Abroad Scheme - I.e. us taxpayers.

The HSE said fewer than 10 patients at Children’s Hospital Ireland are receiving puberty blockers.

https://www.irishtimes.com/health/2024/04/10/hse-to-consider-uks-cass-review-on-gender-as-part-of-healthcare-update-informed-by-best-evidence/#:~:text=The%20Cass%20Review%2C%20published%20on,toxicity%E2%80%9D%20of%20the%20trans%20debate.

It’s neither all paid for by the Treatment Abroad Scheme, nor is it paid for by ‘us’, the taxpayer. It’s funded by public funds, same as every other treatment available on the public healthcare system, and that’s not even touching on the conditions to qualify for the Treatment Abroad Scheme which, thankfully parents, regardless of whether they are taxpayers or not, or their children who aren’t old enough yet to be eligible to pay tax, are not paying for it.

Opinions like that remind me of the woman who complained that abortion services were being provided for in the public healthcare system, yet she couldn’t get a new electric wheelchair for her son. I couldn’t be arsed pointing out to her the fact that one has nothing to do with the other, both services are chronically underfunded, all services are, because it’s the public healthcare system. Taxpayers benefit from it far, far more, than those who are not yet taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I think when you're aware of this issue and you've been reading about it for a while, things that are not very obvious to someone with no contact with the issue, or who's only seen puff pieces on the telly, can seem like they should be glaringly obvious.

If I try and put myself in the shoes of a parent who is relatively ignorant on this issue and whose child has come to them expressing that they are sure they're the opposite sex, who is armed with all the talking points that have been drilled into them by older (majority male) trans-identifying people who hang out in the teen trans spaces online trying to 'crack eggs' (a TRA euphemism for making someone - usually a child or teenager - 'realise' they're trans), and asks you to take them to the doctor. And then, following the script, they ask you to use a different name for them, to buy them a chest binder or a bra. When you see that doctor you're referred to the gender services because your GP hasn't a clue what to do, so now you're taking a trip to another country, which makes the whole thing seem bigger and more serious, and when you get there, the gender clinician, by your bad luck, is an activist, forged for this moment, who says the phrase "would you rather have a dead daughter or a trans son?" - at which point you, as a parent who wants to do the right thing, as a person who trusts the medical establishment, as a busy mother with a full time job who's just been told your child might commit suicide, are just about ready to agree to anything that the 'experts' tell you you should. Because you've only caught the tail-end of an interview on the radio one day while you were rushing your kids from one extra-curricular to another where someone described puberty blockers as a 'pause button', and you still remember holding your baby girl in your arms in the moments after she was born and wondering all the things she'd become, and an expert just told you that she might kill herself if you don't go along with everything.

I've seen this story play out again and again.

At this point, some people take to the internet, do their research, and find ways to help their children that aren't 'affirmation' strategies involving drugs and hormones - that happens. But some launch headlong into doing exactly what the activist experts and their script-wielding child tell them they should do to 'save her life' - and I can understand that as well. I don't envy them one bit.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

I've seen this story play out again and again.

I could see fathers telling their sons “I don’t care, you’re STILL not leaving this house in that dress!”

Seen that story play out again and again too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

We can see what you wrote.

Headballs indeed. 🙄

We understand nuance.

• Advertisement

Some of us understand nuance, others do not.

It’s why I specifically referred to the headballs who set up the LGB Alliance and why, as opposed to suggesting that they had anything in common other than their opinions and the belief that they weren’t getting the respect they felt they were entitled to for their opinions.

It’s difficult to describe anyone who could come out with this sort of nonsense as anything oher than a headball. I’ve tried, but lesbians, to the best of my knowledge anyway, are not facing extinction 😒

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/25/lesbians-facing-extinction-transgenderism-becomes-pervasive/

You reckon they understand nuance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Gay men and lesbians who aren't sexually interested in people of the opposite sex and who object to being pressured and coerced into accepting them as sexual partners are now "headballs".( And let's be honest, it's mainly the lesbians who are being pressured into accepting males as partners, what a shock 🙄) This stance would have been in no way controversial a decade ago.

That’s not who I was referring to as headballs? Nuance, y’know? This is exactly what I said:

It’s why the few headballs formed the LGB Alliance, because they felt they weren’t being given the respect they felt they were owed. I mean, they were right in the sense that they weren’t given any respect, but that was because of their opinions, not because of their sexual orientation.

Nothing to do with, and no mention of, any or anyone’s sexual orientation.

The stance that wasn’t in any way controversial a decade ago was that homosexual children were just confused and seeking attention, that it was a phase and they’d grow out of it and become happy straight adults, lesbians are just prickteasing all the hot blooded manly men, or were still in denial; gay men are only after your children, and you’re in denial if you don’t believe it; traps are out to… well, they’re apparently after all the hot blooded men too! 😳

What a difference a decade makes, apparently.

EDIT: I forgot ‘political lesbianism’ was an idea floated about for a bit, but the origins of that idea were a few decades earlier, and hell if that wasn’t a couple of headballs trying to convince women to have sex with them. They were Feminists though, so nobody cared for their opinions, about anything. That much at least, hasn’t changed:

Political lesbianism is a phenomenon within feminism, primarily second-wave feminism and radical feminism; it includes, but is not limited to, lesbian separatism. Political lesbianism asserts that sexual orientation is a political and feminist choice, and advocates lesbianism as a positive alternative to heterosexuality for women as part of the struggle against sexism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_lesbianism

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The breakaway LGB alliance broke away because they are same sex-attracted and they have nothing in common with trans people who have inserted themselves into the LGB discourse.

Wanting to change gender is not bi/homosexuality no matter how much they try and elbow in.

The opinions of the headballs 🙄 were nope, that's not us.

They broke away because they got stonewalled, basically is what happened. They felt they weren’t being listened to, and they were absolutely right.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I only just found the time to read this article about an interview with Baroness Ruth Hunt, former CEO of Stonewall (and now a life peer for her efforts, thanks to Theresa May).

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/stonewall-tried-to-silence-warnings-of-weak-evidence-for-trans-healthcare-n299v00c3

The whole thing is one big reverse ferret, but there are some notable dingers.

They're morphed homophobic attitudes held by bigoted transphobes! No… wait. The homophobia is internalised by the young women claiming a trans identity!

Regret and agendas, no less.

In response to an information pack that was sent out to schools in 2018 by Transgender Trend, advocating the same careful approach now advised in the Cass review, Stonewall under Hunt's tenure had this to say:

Fast forward to mid April, 2024, and suddenly…

There's a lot of this going on, for what it's worth. The TRAs are still being loud, as they've always been and always will be (though probably about another issue, soon), but in quarters where it matters most, and where reputation matters… many ferrets reversing.

Or rats jumping ship.

You decide.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

That's not quite the case. It does sound like the typical Irish fudge though.

Schools will be expected to follow learning outcomes detailed in the document, even if they believe it clashes with their ethos. More latitude, however, will be given to schools in the detail of how these issues are taught and the resources used.

One of the learning outcomes says students should be able to “recognise the factors and influences that shape young people’s self-identity, such as family, peers, culture, gender identity, sexual orientation, race/ethnic background, disabilities, religious beliefs/world-views.”

"gender identity" with no mention of sex. Are they saying sex has no influence over identity? And what about social media? Does that not have any influence on young people's sense of identity? This document is clearly biased and written from one perspective only.

Though I see it was changed to remove the reference to gender being a "spectrum". Does that mean gender is binary again? "Cisgender" was taken out as well. How can you describe the new concept of gender without terms like cisgender (whether people agree with them or not)? Sounds like a bit of horse-trading with language went on, conceding a few things here and there, but that's not how a school curriculum should be developed. We can't be pushing the old religion out of schools on one hand, while bringing a new kind of secular faith in on the other. It's too contested and incoherent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Shoog

It must be very disappointing for the transphobic commentators that services for transgender people are been expanded. Children will be assessed and given appropriate treatment more promptly. How is that a victory exactly ?

The hysteria around the Cass report is something of a pyric victory.

• Advertisement

It's not "transphobic" to follow nor to trust medical advice.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

So if medical advice recommends gender affirming treatments your fine with that. I believe in following the recommendations of clinical staff as has happened for years. Maybe you don't ?

Medical advice changes over time. When better evidence surfaces, the recommendations and protocols change accordingly.

Medicine is fluid in that respect. Once upon a time, ranitidine (Zantac) was widely recommended for the treatment of acid reflux. Clinicians at the time were "following the recommendations" of the research of the medicine. However, as recently as 2019, it was established that ranitidine is carcinogenic (cancer causing), and so the medicine was discontinued a year later.

Clinicians would have been violating their duty to "first, do no harm" by ignoring this evidence. Medicine exists within a framework where it evolves over time according to the best available evidence.

That's the way it has always been and the way it should be.

Political ideology has no place in medicine.

As for the "recommendations of clinical staff as happened for years", take a look at what psychiatrists and psychologists have said on the matter i.e. those working at Mermaids and Tavistock. They were aghast at the standards applied, and the complete disregard for protocol. It was all about affirmation, affirmation, affirmation — no matter what. It was dangerous nonsense, and it was rightly called out in the end. Of course, it was often due to the healthcare professional's fears of being labelled as "transphobic" for wanting to help patients in the right way.

If in the future the best available evidence conclusively establishes that giving puberty blockers to children is completely harmless, then yes — the recommended advice may very well change. But until that time, we should exercise extreme caution given the risks to children that the Cass Report and many other reports have documented. This isn't controversial, it's common sense — and it's the same attitude we apply to every other single aspect of medicine.

As has been shown Dr Cass is not without her own biases so the single report by her doesn't trump the expertise in the field which has been gathered over decades. The do no harm bit is important because if an expert clinician decides that gender affirming treatments is the correct outcome for their patient they would be doing harm if they were denied that treatment for political or ideological reason.

In certain parts of America where the siren call of transphobic wingnuts has been listened to - medical experts are been compelled to do harm to their patients by denying treatment for political reasons - which is a horrific situation for those patients, and a horrific situation for doctors who are been compelled to break their oath.

Its criminal that a medical matter has been turned so highly political by a failed political ideology who see the only path to power as stoking culture wars.

The "expertise" you refer to doesn't exist. It never has existed. This was experimental medicine to begin with.

Mermaids and Tavistock both failed in their duty of care towards children. Is this the expertise you are referring to?

Clinics across Europe have similarly had to upgrade their protocols away from the rush-them-through, affirmation model. Is this the expertise you are referring to?

No, Dr Cass' report speaks for itself. Other researchers can work through the evidence for themselves. If there are any inconsistencies with the research, then new research can counter it. Until then, we have no reason to dismiss the report. That's how academic research works. We can't casually dismiss evidence we don't like.

But we have every reason to dismiss the legitimate bias that some people have against the report because it misaligns with their ideological perspective. That is the most suspect bias of them all.

Put another way, if the Cass Report backed up the views of activists, they wouldn't be making the same points they are today. It's all about what is expedient to their own interests and their own interests first.

The consideration and duty of care toward children is always held secondary.

Sorry but people who have worked in the field are clinical experts - unlike Dr Cass.

As I said, this was experimental medicine to begin with. Therefore, you had clinicians who opted for one treatment path (immediate, unquestioning affirmation), and other clinicians who opted for a different treatment path (cautious).

What the Cass Report does is zoom out to the bigger picture to establish the evidence-base of both.

It establishes that those clinicians (the "experts", as you call them) rushing children through to affirmation were actively harming children. Those clinicians that were more cautious have been shown to have been correct.

Now, a protocol can exist to ensure no more children are harmed.

All medicine is experimental with costs and benefits. Nothing changes.

No one is rushing children through gender affirmative treatments and Dr Cass report describes the actual clinical percentages that have been normal practice at the Tavistocks for decades. Less than 15% of referrals go on to receive medical interventions and a much smaller percentage receive gender reassignment treatment. Dr Cass clearly describes this.

What are you saying isn’t quite the case plodder? Just so I’m clear on what you’re saying. I just don’t want to be putting words in your mouth or making assumptions.

There being no mention of sex in the article doesn’t mean there’s no mention of of sex in the curriculum, there’s a whole glossary of terms, and I’ve no doubt teachers will do a stellar job as always in delivering exactly the curriculum which the schools board of management agrees on in line with their relationships and sex education policy. You can read the whole document for yourself here and see what you make of it yourself, it was developed in consultation with a number of stakeholders, so everyone still has equal opportunity to claim it’s biased:

https://www.curriculumonline.ie/junior-cycle/short-courses/sphe/sphe-2023/rationale-and-aim/

You can read the Bishops take on RSE In Catholic schools here:

https://catholiceducation.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/RSE-Post-Primary-Schools-Republic-of-Ireland.pdf

“A new kind of secular faith” though? The old religion isn’t being pushed out at all, it’s not interfering with the old religion in any way, shape or form whatsoever. There’s no new “secular faith”replacing anything. It’s just updating the curriculum to reflect modern Irish society, that’s all. Schools will still have ultimate responsibility and control over what is, and isn’t, delivered in their schools in accordance with the ethos of the school, though I don’t imagine too many will be going this far to attempt to provide “balance”:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/parents-vow-to-withdraw-children-from-sex-education-class-given-by-catholic-group-1.3908704

No, I don’t know what possessed them either 😒

But Atheist Ireland does a good write-up on it if you’re interested? I’d be lying if I were to suggest it’s unbiased, but you’ll figure it out for yourself anyways:

https://atheist.ie/2023/07/new-guidelines-for-catholic-sex-education-during-curriculum-sphe-atheist-ireland-writes-to-minister/

• Advertisement

Issuing puberty blockers to children on the basis of changing gender was most certainly new to all those clinicians practicing or involved with this new wave of medicine.

It was as new as you could get.

To then pretend that clinicians knew everything they needed to know, and know everything they need to know — is not realistic. As I said, it's a very unusual position to adopt.

According to you, the Cass Report is wrong, all those clinics in Sweden and Finland and Denmark are wrong; all those clinicians are wrong. All the research is wrong.

But you're right?

No, sorry — I'm sticking with the best available evidence.

As I said before, the same people who (rightly) ask us to "trust the science" when it comes to other matters are unwilling to hold to this principle when it comes to evidence they don't like, evidence that contradicts their ideological perspective.

When it comes to evidence against my position and my sincerely held idea, evidence should always trump that idea — even when I don't like the outcome. When the evidence changes, people should change their mind.

Otherwise, we're dealing with unalloyed dogmatism.

Advertisement