Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I can accept that a Blade reboot in the vein of the Wesley Snipes original could do very well on its own but I don't know if we'll ever see it.

Personally, I couldn't give a shite about FF. I won't even be walking the ten minutes to my local Cineworld for that one, even with my Unlimited Card.

I don't see how they turn things around at this point. The thing with the MCU is that it now has complexity but no depth. There's a Captain America on the way but I won't be getting Disney Plus to do the required homework for it. As a result, I'll give it a miss. The formula is always the same while the characters are largely little more than cogs that turn as the formula dictates. There are exceptions, such as Rocket's arc in Guardians 3, but on the whole it feels like the characters are shallow and disposable now. I've no idea who the other characters in The Marvels were (save Ms. Marvel) and I didn't care to find out before or after the film.

They may turn it around but I get the impression of managed decline at this point, particularly when there's a DCEU, a monsters universe and so on.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 45,171 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

And now we have X-Men '97 MAYBE teeing up becoming part of the MCU, which would be interesting and get some hype going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

X-men 97 is pure nostalgia into my veins. I wasn't expecting to have such a strong reaction to it. That last episode had some incredible moments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I believe you but Youtube decided that because I liked the trailer, it had to suggest videos with spoilers in their titles so now I can't watch it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

nothing more infuriating than those 'shorts' with stupid titles that give away spoilers.

• Advertisement

Yep. On the flip side, I don't have to feel guilty about using adblocker.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Incredible episode along with the soundtrack..everything just hit right! That ending was not something I expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Apparently Dafne Keen briefly posted and then deleted something that confirmed her return as a teenage X-23 in Deadpool & Wolverine.

She (both Keen and Laura) was one of few cameo's that had previously been definitely ruled out.

How many more weeks of X-Men '97?

I'm planning on a big series binge once its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,321 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wikipedia is showing 10 episodes. Episode 6 is this week.

I only caught up on the previous episodes over the weekend. Some side stories are a bit boring, and while I appreciate them bringing back some of the original voice actors a lot of them do sound a lot older, but man when it's good it's really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Christ, Deadpool And Wolverine has me excited for an MCU film again

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

3 people you never thought you'd see in a movie together.

Post edited by Brief_Lives on

I'd pay extra for that

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

I really wouldn't mind if he got a final Thor film, and at least knowing and acknowledging how Love & Thunder went wrong (and likely that Waititi wouldn't be writing/directing), he could still end on a high with the right writer, director & story.

I liked Thor: Love & Thunder. I don't see what the problem is.

H. H. Asquith

An actual film instead of a weak series of SNL skits would be fine.

For me, the sheer amount of improv and wackiness just completely undercut the parts of the story about Jane and Gorr. At times it felt like they barely even wrote any dialogue in the script and instead just improv'ed, and as Hemsworth said, he pretty much became a parody. That's not to say there wasn't stuff in the film that wasn't funny, or that some of the serious moments didn't hit, but overall the film just felt like a huge mess to me.

And let's not forget "Infinity Conez"….

Had to google Infinity Conez.

Yeah, I see the point. I just laughed a lot at the film. Gorr was a joke anyway because he's the "God butcher" who kills one God. I've said for a while that the reliance on humour has been the franchise's main problem for a while. It was fine because we were always leading to something but now the direction of travel is either uninteresting or non-existent.

Thor's a bit like the Terminator in that he started as a sensible, serious character and then became an instrument for dispensing jokes. Unlike, the Terminator, I'd like to see Hemsworth return again in a more grounded capacity but if he doesn't, c'est la vie.

H. H. Asquith

aND THAT'S THE THING, i THINK gORR (it was at this point I noticed caps lock was on) could have been a much better villain, but we barely got to see any of him and like you said, he only kills one god even though so much time was spent at the God Conference or whatever it was called.

There were definitely some highs in the film; I think the shadow planet they fought Gorr on was stunning, Bale did give a brilliant performance, some parts of Jane's story were done well (but usually immediately undercut by humour), and there were a lot of laughs in it. It just ended up being a film where the balance between story and humour was so off that the film was constantly working against itself. The MCU films get a lot of criticism anyway for serious moments being undercut by quippy dialogue, but Ragnarok had a much better balance between the two and let the serious moments really shine when they needed to. LaT though, just really struggled to let anything be serious.

I would agree with this. Seems daft to have all those Gods and none of them die except for the made up one at the start. Could Gorr not have removed a few of the Greek ones? Would Hermes' or Haephaestus' absence have ruined things? I doubt it.

Bale was good and the fight scenes were very well executed. I give it a pass because I laughed a lot. Otherwise, I'd be disappointed that what could have been one of the best MCU films had been ruined by too many jokes and the jumping the shark moment.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Thor's an idiot

The goats

The hammer/axe/Thor love triangle (WTF!!!??)

The forced humour during actual emotional moments

The massive swing in tone between Bale's scenes and the Whacky Thor scenes

Lack of Gorr actually doing anything

They were what I found so off-putting about that film

Yeah a lot of it was just down to missed opportunity and not meeting expectations, because they nailed the formula with Ragnarok for most people. So with Phase 4 already having kicked off poorly, LaT needed to hit the mark (and should have) but just really didn't. It's not the worst (it's not even the worst Thor movie), but I can see why Hemsworth apologised for it. He clearly loves the improv and comedy side of things, and it's definitely one of his strong points, so him and Waititi teaming up again should have made it the easiest thing in the world, but they both just lost the run of themselves and got carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Gary_dunne

The goats was such an annoyingly pointless element and about 5 years too late to be funny or relevant.

Apparently Taika Waititi had only seen the video for the first time while writing it and loved it so much he thought he had to include it, he thought wrong.

I don't think the apology really changes anything and I didn't realise there was any real outcry over it.

That said, I forgot just how good Christian Bale was in it and it's tragic that he's undermined by the way it was structured.

H. H. Asquith

Zeus was a disaster.

The deleted scenes from the film were better than 90% of the scenes left in.

Crowe (at least his deleted version) and Bale were both from completely different movies to Love and Thunder.

Plus Janes cancer plot was drowning aimlessly surrounded by weak comedy scenes.

Tonally it was a disaster.

I have to say, the screams of the goats was funny at first, then less funny, then a bit annoying, then very annoying every time after that.

Until they faceplant into the shadow planet and there's a bit of a pause and then they scream…. that made the whole thing worth it for me. It went all the way around to being funny again imo. That little comedic pause just tipped it back into being worth it.

I thought Zeus was funny but it turns out Marvel's Zeus is a god in both terms of the word, able to stand against the likes of Thanos and the Hulk.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Gary_dunne

If the movie had come out in 2015 maybe it would have still been funny but to call back to a meme from 2013 was just overkill and added to the overused comedic elements of the film.

It had such potential after coming off the unexpected success of Ragnarok but just didn't stick the landing and seems that the actors have realised it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I wonder if Hemsworth is taking the blame simply to keep in Waititi's good books cause any things like stealing lines falls on Waititi for lack of oversight. Plus Waititi still is potentially a very good comedy director to want to work with in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I felt like Waititi should have gone straight to directors jail after Love and Thunder. It was a truly appalling film. He had no control on the tone whatsoever. Bales scenes felt like they were from a completely different movie.

After watching the film, I went and read the Jane Thor and Godbutcher runs in the comic. Each had a massive arc devoted to them and it did a disservice to both to try and mash them together in one movie. Watching the movie felt like Taika had zero interest in the story and no respect or love for the characters. Thor started out as a bit of a blowhard buffoon, but it was painful to see him revert back even further after so many movies and so much progression up to that point.

Advertisement