Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Updates - 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

and all of them 544x576 ……. looks like just checking to see all is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Glaceon

They’re coming from 2RN’s onsite PT5300 generator. One of the few still in active use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

rté2 has lost ~40% of its bitrate today, like how rté1 is now 1/3 of the bitrate it once was

gotta make room for more channels of 'the chase' I guess

I wonder have they made the same changes to the encoders on mux 1 now? I’ll know for sure if my downstairs TV is juddery on both channels now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If any new testcards are coming onto Saorview and reducing bitrate for channels that are already provided on the EPG; is this a permanent decision by 2RN to somehow make the viewing experience worse for anyone watches channels on the platform?

Also; how did RTÉ2 lose 40% of it's bitrate today? Did people retune their equipment to see that picture become worse?

I'm currently watching The Loudest Voice on RTÉ2 at the moment. I did watch it during the late afternoon and early evening. It doesn't appear to make the experience worse on my own setup. The picture seems fine as I have them on the highest settings on my box and TV that they can put out at the moment. Both of them are showing really good 1080p pictures.

If 2RN are currently spreading the spectrum too thinly for people who watch the channels on Saorview. It is not a very efficient way to spread spectrum resources properly as Saorview currently operates as a DVB-T platform. It does make a very good case that Saorview should eventually convert to T2 broadcasting in the Republic of Ireland in the near future.

Finland are currently making plans to convert their DTT channels to DVB-T2 broadcasting by Spring 2025.

Do you think people living here in the Republic of Ireland would understand that this would be a good thing to reduce emissions on the environment?

• Advertisement

2RN already updated the encoders on Mux 2 a while back, which reduced the bitrates on its channels. I don't think it affected picture quality much, if at all. Probably just a modern, more efficient, encoder.

It looks like they've done the same on Mux 1 now. Looking on digitalbitrate.com for Mux 1 from Clermont Carn, it does seem that they did something overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

They should consider opening a third MUX and bring more of the channels up to HD, not the trashy ones that carry the Chase and that kind of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Aidan McCarthy

What channels will be on a third MUX

There is no currently EPG data present on LCN 9, 10, 28 & 31. There is EPG data present on LCN 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

I

It like full HD is happening for some channels .From Three Rocks .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is that an HbbTV test transmission? HbbTV indicator present on the info panel.

HD 1920x1080p25 resolution, don't remember seeing this on Saorview previously.

Don't see the any matching broadcast info on the bitrate monitoring site for that frequency.

Is the HBBTV test transmission from Three Rock using your broadband to power it up to the TV?

Or is it just being relayed from a regular aerial?

Also, I see they've rearranged the radio channels on the EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭butwhynot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭KildareP

I felt RTÉ One has looked somewhat bitrate starved at times, it's certainly more prone to pixelation on busier scenes than RTÉ 2 or TG4.

Will be interesting to see how the GAA and basketball looks at the weekend on RTÉ2 and TG4 with similarly reduced bitrates in place.

Dare I say it but I wonder is this laying the groundwork for HD to be the standard on SaorView in the near future?

Also 219 RTÉ Chill

On a recent Walker HbbTV.

Original lineup on non-HbbTV.

Update: just did a retune on the HbbTV, all radio channels back to original EPG lineup

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Hot take - it looks like they're reducing the bitrate on the HD channels on Saorview to rival that of RTÉ 1 & 2 on Saorsat.

There was about 2.5 Mb/s of free space on Mux 1 previously. I can now see it's up to 7.6! Plenty of space now.

So now 2rn can add virgin media one in HD and virgin media one +1 so now there is no need to have all these test card channels on 9 10 28 31 and 32 so 2rn could fill that one up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

2RN have no control over what channels Virgin put on Saorview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

they won’t put on virgin media plus one for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Why would one want Virgin Media One+1? VMTV is neverending rubbish, apart from the News, The O'clock Show and Ireland AM. That's all it has, but we could do with VM1hd, but then again greedy 2rn wouldn't let it unless VM pay a fortune for the privilege.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd prefer stand-alone (HD) channels instead of the +1 time-shift channels.

Saorsat bitrate on Ka-Sat was reduced due lack of capacity and over-subscription during Covid, mid 2022 iirc, it probably never recovered.

At this point Ka-Sat has about 3 years orbit manoeuvrable life remaining with no in-orbit spare if anything were to happen in the next few years.

This might be a reason RTÉ are testing DVB-I streaming, a possible replacement for Saorsat and as a backup to DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

VM are the greedy party here.

2rn just divvy out the costs in proportion to the bitrate used, it's not their fault that VM and TV3 before them have never wanted to pay their fair share of transmission costs.

You're right about the neverending rubbish though, but unfortunately they do have some sports rights and watching them in SD is a sick joke.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Can't imagine those in the back of beyond who can't get Saorview will be high up the list of the national fibre broadband rollout either!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Yes your right there virgin media are greedy party and so 2rn. See the thing is 2rn have test card channels on 9 10 28 31 and 32 so the thing is what is the point of having these test cards on these channels unless they are going to Launched some new channels on them

The bits have to be broadcast anyway so why not have a test card on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The back of beyond people are the very ones the broadband rollout is supposed to get to ! EU say every household in the the EU is supposed to have access to 1 GB broadband by 2030, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. I'm just on the edge of a town and the NBI say I won't have fibre until mid 2026. Thankfully I'm getting nearly 100mbps from an eir sim card router at the moment.

Advertisement