Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Updates - 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

As I've mentioned several times, only a relatively small minority of viewers in the state are dependent on the SD Saorview service for viewing Virgin Media's FTA broadcast channels as most of the country has access to their HD channels via pay-TV streams. Without being privileged to their accountancy books, I'd say caring about the small amount of viewers that don't watch an event on VM1/VM2 because a FTA UK channel on satellite is carrying the same with parallel HD coverage is of little worry to them, if any, to have were the channel to be HD on Saorview. Me? I'm just glad that they actually show stuff like European soccer that is otherwise behind paywalls in the UK, I'd just wish they'd upgrade the SD resolution to match that of RTÉ News & Sky News (704 x 576).

As for the argument over choice vs. quality - there have been numerous examples of broadcasting platforms all over the world over the last 20-25 years which has shown that increasing the available choice has helped drive adoption by the masses, and that lofty ambitions of better quality but the same choice as now doesn't (with possible exceptions in some eastern Asian countries which is more down to strong regulations & laws than anything else). As for Saorview - while 2RN are responsible for the transmission network, with financial costs for appearing on the platform having been agreed previously involving the BAI in a rather convoluted manner, there's little to stop a channel appearing on the platform - it is a relatively open one provided one has an appropriate licence from Coimisiún na Meán. There is nothing technically to stop 2RN powering up a third multiplex if demand from customers was there, as opposed to Freeview in the UK where, with one exception (the PSB3 multiplex), demand still outstrips supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Aidan McCarthy

Hi there. The only reason is if 2rn are going to set up third multiplex which will be good but the thing is were are they going to get the money from if they are going to set up another third multiplex

Post edited by Aidan McCarthy on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I can't see a third multiplex being set up at this stage, all of the rumblings suggest that DTT is in terminal decline now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

It'll be cheaper for them to go the IPTV route for any additional services on saorview than rolling out a third mux, and this would appear to be the direction of travel with their testing of DVB-I and HbbTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Hi Cush,

Would it be an option for 2rn to do a deal with the TV Companies, to have their Saorview Channels Streamed?

For example LG Channels have a good selection, to get the LG Channels your TV must be set to Location Ireland for both Broadcast and Internet.

The LG Channels are already on the same EPG as the Saorview Channels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

The Time on Mux 2 (Three Rock) is 90 seconds approx too fast. Mux 1 has the correct time

This happened last October and was fixed after a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This would be for each individual broadcaster to contract separately with manufactures, like they do with Sky.

Saorview has transmission contracts with them for terrestrial and maybe in the future a dedicated Saorview IPTV service.

Post edited by The Cush on

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

With the most recent version of the RTEplayer and the inclusion of a live facility all 3 broadcasters are available live online, so the main Saorview channels are available on line, if they could only be combined into a Saorview player and made widely available. I have one issue in that I can't get the VMplayer on either an LG or Walker tv

Post edited by decor58 on

Some smart televisions you could get virgin media player on some smart televisions because I have a sony smart bravia television and I have RTE player and virgin media player and TG4 player

• Advertisement

Great to have all 3 players, Sony appears to be one of the few brands with access to the VM player. Sony don't appear to promote the feature. I had a Sony, with VM player, many years ago but it didnt update. Do the players have access to live feeds, like I say if they could be packaged into a Saorview player, that would be a significant Saorview update. I wonder are there any other brands with all 3 players.

Here is the information I have here. You can install Virgin Media Player on your smart TV with just a click on your TV's appstore! In this guide, we will take a look at what the Virgin Media Player system can offer you, what channels are available, and how you can get your hands on it.

Post edited by Aidan McCarthy on

As Aidan said, you should find Virgin media player in the LG App store, I have an LG TV and have the 3 Irish players RTE, Virgin media and TG4 Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The thing with Virgin Media is, most of the shows are available in HD on the ITV channels on Freesat. I generally never even look at them on Saorview.

I have tried again without success, on a 2021 model LM6370PLA. I have the tv set to UK for broadcasting, to access Freesat and Ireland for services. It doesn't show up in the LG App store, it's in the Google play store but I don't appear to be able to download it to my tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭speedbird834

Yeah. I'd prefer an Irish commentary for the rugby but I simply cannot watch any Sport on the crappy VM SD on Saorview so watch in HD on ITV

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

@speedbird834 of course, it should be bought to VM's attention that their picture quality is no longer acceptable. I'm very surprised that no group, body or anyone even cares.

Hi,

Have you made an LG Account, you must be logged in for installing some apps

I reckon I do but I am not sure, I will try again, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Banjo Carney

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's been my experience, tried again last night, found that I had set up an account previously, no joy, giving up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Banjo Carney

It's a pain in the a##e with a relatively new TV having to use a Chromecast to use the virgin media player. It won't even screen mirror to the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

They should be required to broadcast on HD. Having their stations in one place on HD on their cable, but not for Saorview users is an abuse of their market position.

When the TV licence thing is renewed the government should run the transmission network, make it available at a reasonable fee, but require channels not to discriminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

I have said this many times as long Sky are subsidising Virgin Medias HD channels. Virgin have no interest in Saorview .It's costs them more money .

Sorry, I know this is going off thread but how are are Sky subsidising VM HD channels. I dont have either, so I cant say but are there more Sky channels on VM rather than the reverse. Maybe they operate a barter account, you carry our channels, we carry yours and we call it quits. I do agree VM have very little interest in Saorview, it's a sideshow to their main business.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

I am going on past happenings Channel 5 HD was behind the Sky HD pay wall .Went it was owned by The RTL group and more recent ITVs sister channels .

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭goldiefresh

There subsidising the cost of broadcasting on hd on there sky platform to keep subscribers. Virgin and rte were not interested in the extra cost associated with hd broadcasts so sky covered the cost. They even cover the cost of the channel numbers i.e 101,102..... which you have to pay for normally.

Nothing directly to do with Saorview updates but you could argue who benefits most, Sky was a bit of a niche product before RTE, TV3 and TG4 joined in 2002. Sky were very keen to get RTE on board and RTE increased there availability, so there is a trade off, as you say it helps Sky keep customers. If RTE were available free to air on 28.2 its fairly sure that Sky would see a huge drop off in subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did I not see a thread on here recently saying VM was now in HD on Saorview?

Watching the CL game and its definitely not in HD on my telly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

TG4 was the last channel to go HD on Saorview. None of the VM channels on Saorview are HD, unfortunately.

Advertisement