Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Updates - 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It'll get to them… eventually.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

NBI will get to the back of beyonds in due course, by the end of 2026, the government subsidy makes sure of that.

I'd be more worried for those within OpenEir's commercial rollout area, in awkward areas between urban and NBI rural, I've seen up to 2028 mentioned to complete these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

As opposed to…Virgin Media 5, RTE 3, RTE 1 +2. Are all other channels not British?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

I like British TV, my favourite is BBC 2, what they are doing here is showing neverending quiz shows and the like across all the Virgin Media channels and not forgetting this Challenge TV, its more of the same day after day.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Aidan McCarthy

I like British TV channels too so we might pick up some UK tv stations. I don't think we can get virgin media 5 and RTE 3 and RTE 1 + 2 because RTE can't afford to have RTE 3 and RTE 1 +2

• Advertisement

I don't think we will have RTE 3 and RTE 1+2 but we might get virgin media 5 or virgin media news channel

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Virgin would not be able afford to run a dedicated news channel

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

I know and we don't need it, RTE News will do just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,256 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Does anyone want RTE 3 - showing repeats of repeats of repeats, having +1 is bad enough - need more proper entertainment channels

IIRC most broadcasting rights for the UK cover Ireland also, especially older content, so there is room there for the like of those types of channels to go on Saorview with very little expense?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

The original RTE 3 was to be movie channel.Back ln the days of Celtic Tiger .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,256 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

According to the wiki page (only reference I could find for it) - "variety of programming not then being shown on RTÉ One and RTÉ Two as well as having access to the RTÉ archives" - so 90% repeats with the odd new show

No one wants RTE 3 as I said earlier that RTE can not afford to have another channel never mind of the +1 channels

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gold7

We could have done with an RTE 3 Channel on Tuesday night during the 2 Football Match Clashing. The News Channel is a joke when trying to sports in fuzzy SD.

At least RTE only have to have sport in SD when there's a clash, VM do it all the time.

There's zero point relaying UK channels on Saorview, not that it'd ever happen anyway - everybody in Ireland can already receive them free to air on satellite (or needlessly pay for the privilege)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

A new Irish service with a decent budget could launch a channel here and easily blow rte/vm out of the water.

But doubt it would be very profitable. We don't need another Challenge TV - I'm not sure what they were thinking of there.

Do we need Another tv station in this country. This country is too small for Another television station

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

we never have rte 3 too much repeat on tv show there is lot of demand on rte iplayer 🤷🏻‍♂️ only saying

Your right there. There is a lot of stuff to look at on the rte player

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Challenge TV is only on saorview to advertise sky.

Sky news is also on saorview to advertise sky too and so is rte and virgin media television channels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

sky news and challenge coming from free to air satellite feed on soarview transmission only saying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'd like to see Euronews have a dedicated channel on saorview, rather than as a filler on late night tv.

Maybe a channel with foreign language content, french / German etc could be useful for leaving cert students.

Now, if it showed French / German boobies after 9pm, I'm sure it would be very popular. :D

Yes. It would be great to have euro news and BBC news channel and channel 4 on saorview but I don't know about foreign language likes French or German content for students to learn French or German so I don't know

Cable Link had channel for main news bulletins from Italy, France and Spain and TV5 Monde Europe. Back in the day .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I don't think Channel 4 would be able to afford to go on Saorview.

They are planning to do some major cutbacks to their channel line-up later in the year. The cutbacks include the Box Music Channels at the moment. I'm not sure what they are planning to do with their other channels. They have been going some major financial issues for the past few months due to a slump in ad revenue in the UK at the moment.

Euronews & BBC News are also going through major financial cutbacks too.

If any of those channels wanted to pay to be on Saorview they'd already be on it.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RAKM

Not certain they would. IIRC when the tender was 1st put out for Saorview 2 private cos. went for it. It was supposed to include BBC 1&2 NI UTV and C4. Sky Ireland and NTL wrote to the EU and said they had those rights for ROI so thats why RTE or whoever are running it.

Channel 4 and the BBC are well a wear of terrestrial overspill and Freesat.So need to be on Saorview . Get Virgin to cough up money to 2rn to HD . That's the best Saorview will do.The country is to small and the advertising pool is to small .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Not correct, 3 consortia bid for the commercial dtt contract, which included the UK channels.

The winning consortium, Boxer, failed to agree a €20m security bond which was required by RTÉ to cover rollout costs in the event of Boxer's failure to launch a commercial service.

Likewise OneVision (iirc) failed to reach agreement for the contract.

And finally Easy TV (included RTÉ) were offered the contract but declined.

There wasn't a market for commercial DTT.

• Advertisement

@lgs 4 ITYM don't need to be on Saorview

(Why is tagging a poster not working?!)

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement