Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Nobody can see my horribly flabby body jiggling away on the treadmill 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

This lad doesn't approve of annoying gym behaviour…

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Ah yes, the pile-on. I'm not surprised at that on this forum. Good luck.

But the plates don't belong to the rack; they just happen to be stored there because that's where the available storage is. It's absurd to think otherwise. That's my whole point: the absurdity that people think the plates belong to the rack.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Lads standing directly in front of the dumbbell rack doing their curls. Get out of the **** way!

Also a lad yesterday spent 20 mins doing bulgarian split squats off a leg extension machine (the only one) when there were benches available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Tbf, I think these videos go viral because they’re so rare and because people are outraged at the vloggers behaviour. Not many people in the lifting community would think it’s reasonable to get pissed at someone walking past your camera in a public gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Recording should just be barred in gyms, a world of trouble avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,483 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Maybe you're the problem in this situation. Did you stop to think about that possibility?

All the guy did was ask you if you were using a plate. Not exactly annoying behaviour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Tend to agree that If someone is being overly cautious in trying to be polite, it seems unfair to rate that as annoying behaviour.

But at any rate, I'd agree with others that the convention in the gym is that plates on the side of a rack 'belong' to that rack, in a sense - they're part of a set, and actually they should be on the rack in a particular way, lightest to heaviest, top to bottom. It's not that they just happen to be there, and could be hung anywhere in the gym where there's space.

Generally there is some structure to plate storage, right? It's not just a question of where there's a space. Plates on racks for use with racks and their platforms. Plate trees next to platforms and machines for use on those platforms and machines etc.

Would I ask someone if I could use a plate if they're occupying that rack? Yes, I probably would. If they're ramping up the weight on the bar, then I'd probably check before I went over and took the 20s or 25s directly next to them. Most men are going to need those, and if you take theirs then they'll have to go off and find some elsewhere, and bring them back to the rack. It's a little easier if sets of plates just stay with the rack, on the appropriate arms, ready for use by whoever is squatting or benching there.

The above not intended as part of a 'pile on'. Every day is a learning day, we're just having a discussion here, and there's obviously minority and majority views about gym etiquette. It's worth discussing.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Now, what's definitely annoying is anyone that walks across someone's platform when they're lifting on it, especially if it's a heavy lift and they come up behind them. Happens all the time, and it's usually not malice, just simple ignorance of what could happen if you accidentally bump someone with a heavy barbell on their back.

I've have also had people coming up to the side of a rack while I'm benching or squatting, and trying to unrack or re-rack plates. Again, it's a safety issue. Just wait the couple of seconds until the person has finished their set, FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭reclose

if no one has agreed with you then you should at least be open to the possibility that the way you perceived the event is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Few years back I had some lad literally brush off me while deadlifting on a platform I lost my shite!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Hold My Hand

Guy walking around gym talking on the phone. 3 loud conversations which I could hear over my airpods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Whether it's for an online coach (i.e. a "valid" reason) or for Instagram (an "invalid" reason), you've no right to video and share footage with other people.

I've had so many **** run ins with morons at my 3 year old daughter's swimming classes in Spain taking videos of their kids in the pool. When I give out to them about it and point out that it's both against the rules and illegal, they look at me as if I've three heads. The normalisation of simply recording other people, especially children, accidentally or otherwise, is a huge issue these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭circadian

Well done for winning the thread, but not in the way you imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Augme

But people often do have a right. None of the gyms i have been a member of have banned video recording on the gym floor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

[b]mod note: can we leave fatbhouy alone now please? Let’s keep it light hearted[/b]

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Is there some sort of law against it as you are on private property? I think the gym owner where I go mentioned something like that.

Unless the gym has a policy on it, you're actually very much within your rights to record. I've recorded my training for social media for many years, and I've always made an effort to be courteous about leaving others out of the frame as best I can. I would never upload a video if I thought someone was doing something that could turn them into a meme.

It's never happened, but if someone had a serious issue with barely being visible in the background of a video, sure, I'd probably delete. But I'd have to admit that I'd also be thinking "jaysus, get over yourself". I think there is an element of the 40+ generation needing to accept that 1) this is the world we live in now, and 2) people online really don't care about you being in the background of a video as much as you think they do. Most don't even have the attention span to notice.

I think you know that recording children in a pool is not exactly an apples with apples comparison to adults using a gym.

For me, it’s not about other people seeing me on the video. It’s that I’m at the gym working out, I don’t want to be recorded.

I’d absolutely have an issue with you if you whipped out your camera and I was appearing in your shot.

• Advertisement

I followed a PT on instagram the other day as I enjoyed some of their videos that had being appearing in my feed.

They posted up a story of one of their circuit style classes and their was 3 blokes in it with their tops off training. There were other people too dressed in normal work out gear.

Is this a new trend that blokes take off their tops doing circuit classes?

I thought it was weird as ****.

Well to be honest, I don't care. I know I'm right and that's all that matters to me really. This thread is a kind of rant-thread to post about things or behaviour in gyms that annoy you, and that's a great idea for a thread.

Being asked/bothered/interrupted by people that absurdly ask for permission to use equipment when there's absolutely no need to do so is kind of annoying to me, bordering on the amusing. So I'm well within my rights to post it here in this thread.

In my gym, I'd say 5% will ask for permission to take a plate off a rack, so that means that maybe 95% know it's absurd and unnecessary.

Also, while I acknowledge that a moderator above has asked us to move on from this line of discussion, in light of the pile-on, I reckon I've earned the right to reply and stand up for myself, hence this final post.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I don’t want to make a big deal out of this. But I want to correct this statement.

“This thread is a kind of rant-thread to post about things or behaviour in gyms that annoy you, and that's a great idea for a thread.”

Actually that isn’t the point of the thread. We had a thread for ranting, it produced so many arguments I had to close it. I have said multiple times this is a light hearted thread. Not a rant one. If it turns into a series of rants, it’ll end up closed again.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Kindly asked a guy if he was using the 15kg hanging up at the rack he was working off. You'd swear I pissed in his cornflakes judging by the look he gave me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭circadian

Not unloading a rack when finished is the one thing that is guaranteed to set me off every time.

if you’ve the energy to unload the bar then you didn’t lift heavy enough 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Drives me mad. Especially when someone not as strong needs to unload 100KG+

Why do you record yourself for social media whats the point?

Well I'm a coach, so I mainly do it to share my training with the people who follow me. No different to a guitar teacher uploading videos of them playing a song.

That said, I think just wanting to share your interests online with other people is perfectly valid reason to record yourself. I think the differing perspectives on social media's role in a gym environment speaks more to the gap in generations and how they use technology. (I'm just turned 30 btw)

• Advertisement

Fair if your coaching but your analogy does not hold up you can be sure a person playing a guitar is more than likely playing in a private space and not potentially bothering anyone.

Maybe it is age relative Me being 45 but social media is overrun by wannabe coaches telling people how not to lift or what exercise not to do etc when the advice they are publishing is absolutly poor!

Advertisement