Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I wouldn't say regular gym goers are morally obliged to coach or supervise young people in the gym - I agree thats a bit much. But there's a time and a place for it, however. If someone is clearly struggling with something, which is what I took from a line in a post above, then there may be a window to have a word. Equally, stepping in without judging it well is a bad idea, and yes, probably will blow up in your face.

But really, if younger people in the gym annoy you that much, you should do as Cil suggests and either travel for an environment more to your liking, or look at a budget for a home gym, if that's an option. I know it's hard to judge stuff on the Internet- not being smart here. Home gyms can be a game changer if you're at that stage of just wanting to train in peace.

I used to see gangs of teenagers doing chest and arms seven days a week, and they would leave cans of Monster everywhere, but I must say it's not really been akin to literal kids running around a playground.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

100000%, This too about an hour ago in mine. 1 lad on the cross trainer, 3 stood around it leaning on the free neighbouring equipment, and blocking access again into it…peak time, place is packed I’d already used it so nothing to me but seriously… all 4 fellas staring lovingly into each others eyes and whooping & giggling like simpletons at each other. I wouldn’t mind but there is a waiting area outside, coffee shop downstairs and a pub next door…. 🤦🏻‍♂️

2 tonight and secondly a weird one…… there is a corridor that separates the cardio and another section that has leg curl, leg press and some other machines….. the area as the whole gym is, is busy. One fella around 45, decides to forgo the entirely free aerobic studio next door and is walking up and down doing walking lunges… hits the end, turns and back…. Repeated multiple times…. He’s getting serious looks of derision as he gets mighty close to people who seek no more than to transit the facility safely and getting a bucketful of looks of ‘ some fûcking weirdo here ‘….quite appropriately… dangerous too as after reaching the end he does a sort of Basil Fawlty Nazi turn on a sixpence impression and anyone behind him has to move quickly…

mad…… lots of phone / social media use everywhere too… I had a great workout but it’s just getting silly how inconsiderate people are getting there, and elsewhere too reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

middle age fellas using the boxing bag that somehow think its necessary to sequester the plyo box to so they can lay their stuff out.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I've no issue with people taking a video of themselves for a form check or whatever but is it necessary for someone to record themselves literally doing every set and rep of a workout? There are two separate parties in my gym - a girl and a couple who I see do this regularly.

In the gym on Sunday afternoon and the couple were on the squat rack in front of me. They've the phone set up on a fcuking tripod stand thing that's over a metre high pointed at them recording everything they do. After that I see them move onto the leg extension machine and the guy is recording every set the girl does, alternating between having the phone in his hand and docking it on the tripod stand. FFS is it just me or is that a bit much? No doubt these clowns see themselves as some iNfLuEnCeR tryhards.

Another girl I also usually see do this albeit not with such an obnoxiously large tripod stand. She uses a smaller one that looks more like a hands free phone cradle for a car and places it on the ground angled towards her for every set. Then she watches it back straight after. As I said, no issue with doing a form check but it's absolutely unnecessary after every bloody set for every exercise. Especially when she does it while using machines, whatever about the more technical lifts. It starts to venture more into being egotistical and image conscious at that point rather than checking form/technique.

I don't particularly feel comfortable being in a gym where there's a good chance I'm in the background of someone's video all the time. Have sent an email to gym management asking what their policy on video recording is and currently awaiting a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭ISOP

Gyms have become unbearable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

My Gym has banned recording and pic taking thank God!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭foxsake

flyefit has become dire in the last few years post lockdown.

not putting back weights / equipment is now an epidemic . Its some bad that you would be waiting on a machine and the person will just finish and walk off leaving the plates on the machine . Happened 3 times in last 2 weeks to me . called them over it but what do you know....hea

general rudeness of people. dunno if this is a societal thing but people just wont hold door, no thanks if you do. barge down stairs glued to their phones. steal plates / equipement off you - forbid you go to the jacks (left bag & water bottle on bench - still taken) leave changing room is sh1t order.

gangs of kids even some in actual school uniform this week , hogging machines.

staff don't care - witness loads of this sh1t happen on front of staff - cos the truth is they aren't staff

I'm only still there cos I do some track work and the opening hours suit my early mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭reclose

The latest annoyance for me is people going onto a bench/machine and going straight onto their phone for a few mins without doing a single rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Walked into one area of the gym this evening looking for a kettle bell (they're never put back where they're meant to be so you have to to a tour of the whole gym to find what you want) the only person there was a girl who had stripped down to her bra as no one else was around and was posing in the mirror taking selfies with her t*ts almost falling out.

I saw her but didn't look right at what was happening but felt like I had to get the fvck out of that space ASAP.

I've seen her and a couple of lads doing similar selfie type nonsense of late, it's embarrassing to witness that type of narcissism.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

That's normal. I do it when I'm going from one exercise to another immediately and on my rest time and checking weight / reps from the previous day on my notes app to ensure there is some progressive overload.

Speak up and ask can you work in. Most people have no issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

More an observstion but what's the craic with sliders being worn in the gym?

Also platform soled converse hi tops!

does not seem like the wisest choice of footwear when training?

Yes, I see sliders worn, it's a fashion thing. I think - as with many new developments in gym culture - we have instagram influencers to thank. There's one really famous one who wears them all the time, can't think of his name.

Has anyone ever seen someone working out in pyjamas? I feel like it can't be far off (Probably no safety issue as long as the drawstrings are tied up, it must be said).

On the whole "on a machine, just looking at their phone" thing, TBH I understand that some people (not all) are using training platforms / logbooks that are on their phone, and that's why they're checking ... But what happened to being prepared for a training session? If literally just before you do your sets is when you figure out what you're supposed to be doing, and what weights, and confirm it's progress from last week... That's something that should have been done before you're on the gym floor.

I wouldn’t consider it normal to sit on a bench for about 5 mins before doing a single rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

If the gyms empty have at it.

If it's busy, have some consideration.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Mac-Chops

I think working in a standard PPL type training block makes it easier for sure and I'd never have had to touch my phone or a notebook but having started a high volume 5/3/1 variant program, I've become more reliant on my workout app as sets can jump up and down 2.5kg-10kg increments and training max can increase by 2.5kg-5kg week on week.

Tried doing from memory on deadlift day recently and hit an accidental PR which isn't the worst thing mind.

So it's making me more stupid for sure. Just like putting the Sat Nav on to go up the road simply because it's there in the car I have now.

I'd wager all this is an exception to the norm though and someone scrolling insta on a bench before getting going is indeed an annoying gym behaviour.

I remember 5/3/1 percentages being a pain to work out... Getting your TM, then your weekly lifts based off that, then rejigging after a block. Especially if you're crap at maths, like me.

I heard someone suggest, yonks ago, that if Wendler wanted a training max of about 90% to be used to calculate main lift %s, he could have just used lower % of estimated true 1RMs in the program, instead of this two-stage thing of working out TMs from your estimated 1RM, and then doing %s of your TM.

Apps definitely makes it swifter, when I did 5/3/1 I still did that bit before I went to the gym, and wrote down my target weights in a notebook. I guess there's the same time involved, it's just not in the gym.

Anyway, if someone is doing 5/3/1 or using organised programming in the gym, then they're on the right track anyway, compared to most, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think the answer to a lot of this thread is the above. We have a strange juxtaposition around gym use in Ireland where people delight in spending as little as possible for their gym; but then are irritated that their cheap facility has a lot of footfall at certain times with users who aren’t of a like mind.

If you like lifting weights and are of a ‘culture of iron’ mindset, there’s probably a power lifting type gym close enough to you. It probably isn’t that much more expensive but you’ll have a far superior experience. Similarly if you like a varied circuit workout with lots of equipment, etc would a strength and conditioning class not be a better fit?

If you’re down your local Flyfit or anytime fitness complaining about kids or footfall I don’t know what to say really. Good etiquette relies on a sense of personal investment, collective responsibility and community mindset, and you won’t get that in those types of places. Someone “else” owns it and pays ~minimum wage to people to do the basics of running it. It is what it is, you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,039 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Even if you have to check your program for every set. That takes 3 seconds tops. Nobody should notice you doing that. And once you’ve checked the first set is probably light. So wouldn’t expect people sitting there for a few minutes before unracking.

and I say that as someone who takes the rest I need between sets and have no issue having my phone out while I take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

You have to remember this thread is for stating annoying gym behaviour, it’s not about genuine solution seeking.

If their wasn’t a thread here I certainly wouldn’t be creating one to post my slight grievances in the gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

"Has anyone ever seen someone working out in pyjamas? I feel like it can't be far off (Probably no safety issue as long as the drawstrings are tied up, it must be said)."

Came here to say i saw this just this evening. Not annoying gym behaviour as such, and she was wearing a loose hoody, bit also pyjama bottoms and... Ugg Boots.

And it was fecking roasting in the gym and her doing back squats.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah fair enough! By complaining about the complainers I am merely maintaining the cosmic balance

• Registered Users Posts: 39,039 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sure. But if somebody has a moan about something that is normal behaviour. They’ll be told it’s actually normal.

On the other hand, if somebody claims something is normal, but is kinda isn’t. They’ll be told that too.

That’s how the discussion part works.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,258 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

People that are using two machines in alternation, and don't let any else use either.

People reading books on exercise bikes

Women that seem to more dressed for a night of clubbing make up etc, and doing the minimum amount clearly only there to be "seen".

--

On the post about young lads looking at social media on phones and hanging around. If the no cameras in gyms rule was properly enforced, it would mean no more mobile phones - problem solved they would actually have to train instead of doss. Leave your phones in the locker etc instead.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I use my phone to record what I do and i listen to music/podcasts while I train so not using the camera or social media doesn't mean I have no need for my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭SimpleDimple

The amount of lads flexing in their boxers in the changing room mirror is off the rails these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Nobody poses in the dressing rooms in my gym because my gym doesn't have dressing rooms . Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Supersets. Absolute BS approach. Especially if they're SS on a cable machine and I want to work in, and they say, oh no sorry I'm SSing. Die.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fella about 48, been a member since before me… on a cross trainer about 4 from me but for the duration he’s coughing and hacking his lungs up while still exercising and doing it at an awful level of decibels like he has some kind of respiratory infection or condition. Never covered his mouth with a tissue or handkerchief that I noticed either…. Both disgusting and bizarre…

Clown gets off the machine and straight off to another room. Doesn’t bother grabbing the sanitiser …. Despite his emitted hacked up respiratory droplets being all over it…

bit of an oddball all round who for years has had the general demeanour that at best suggests an abrasive character, at worst a potential serial killer…. Very starey agitated looking eyes and expression….. 😡 meets… 💀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I've mentioned before that it's all oldies in my gym at the time I usually go, and they're not big on gym etiquette. They've been going there for the last 20 years, so it won't change now. It's harmless stuff in fairness, like someone stopped in front of me in the middle of a a set this week making eye contact to get my attention, and when I stopped and took off my headphones it was just to comment that it's a lovely day 😅 I was in the middle of a heavy (for me) deadlift set last week and the woman working there asked me if I wanted her to boost the water heater for a shower!

I had to laugh yesterday though - there was another guy I've never seen before in the weight section and he was on one of the 2 benches (I was on the other) doing dumbbell chest presses for a while in fairness. The auld one must have been watching him and waiting cos she just waited until he finished a set and when he stood up, she just took over his bench entirely without warning to use the smith machine. She'd be in her late 60s I'd say and that's her routine she always does so she wouldn't let something like someone else using it deter her. I shared the bench I was on with him and we'd a laugh about it.

Advertisement