Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Spot on with the last paragraph. It's funny but it's also annoying of course. My mum would do this kind of thing, the sense of entitlement of that older generation is pretty high, I think it's a view on the prerogatives of age. I think it's combined with them being very routine-driven and set in their ways. They probably register on some level that they're interfering with that bloke's training, but just decided the "young lads" will just have to make do :0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Ya that's exactly it. I was grilled today for how I'm voting in the upcoming referendum and then invited for breakfast. I might need more age appropriate gym buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

i didn’t see who was responsible but someone spilled what looked like a protein drink on a cross trainer I went to use and made apparently zero effort to clean the console… streaky dripping mark residue everywhere dried in, Not exactly a shortage of sanitiser spray, water fonts or paper towels. From that piece of equipment to the nearest water / sanitiser station was about an 8 second walk….come on !

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A short walk. But it was crosstrainer day.

Have to follow the program

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I annoy myself in so far as I'm often distracted by the incredibly attractive female gym patrons

I don't stare and I don't talk to people in the gym but I definitely loose focus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

just learn to laugh it off , its less to do with "incredibly attractive female gym patrons" though and more about at the extreme end, the comical state of female gym wear.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

My missus was showing me, there is elastic to pull the shorts into the craic of the arse. A built in wedgie to accentuate the arse. Men in the gym like monks nos with their heads bowed 😂

But if it makes you feel confident, then accentuate your arse i say

So that's this one ladies secret who has my head wrecked

It just won't quit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,364 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

It's like staring at the sun, a terrible idea that never ends well.

Set yourself up for whatever you're doing and pop a blindfold on, problem solved.

There's always go to be people in gyms wanting attention, don't give them the satisfaction of looking.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I try not to fart when the women are nearby. I'm too polite I suppose. 🤣

• Advertisement

Send us a link to the tiktok video she uploads calling you a creep.

Glazers Out!

We all have our weaknesses , remember Al Pacino in the movie Heat when he refers to his ?

That's mine too

Post edited by gym_imposter on

I get it, I notice that stuff too I just hate giving attention to people who are looking for it.

Glazers Out!

The particular lady in question seems to live in the gym, more power to her , it's my cross,not her problem

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mod Note: enough of this shite. The gym should be welcoming and free of this misogynistic BS. Don’t reply in thread, PM with any questions.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Mod note: you did exactly what I asked you not to, replied in thread. DO NOT do it again or you’ll get a ban.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Quags

Free speech but not if others are offended then I will speak to you like a child. 🤷

Mod note. There is no free speech on boards. Never had been, never will be. Don't post in this thread again. And you can take a few days of a ban too.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Mod note: can we get the thread back on track please. No more commenting on moderation in the thread, PLEASE. I really don’t want to ban more posters for it.

No more misogyny either. Commenting on people’s appearance is not welcome here. It’s the fitness forum and NOT after hours.

they/them/theirs

Me: have you many more sets on that leg-press m/c?

Him: just 3

Me: cool, *heads off to sit waiting about 8m away, watching the leg-press m/c*

Me: *looks up and sees a girl poised to sit on the leg-press m/c and start*

Me: *walks over*

Me: Eh, I was waiting to use that, I said it to the guy who was using it...

Her: But I have no proof of that

Me: .... * WTF *

Me: *normally I'd stand my ground, but this time, nah, not worth it, plus I'm kinda stunned/amused, so off I pop*

The magic words to unlock “elite gym level” are “can I work in”.

Don't get annoyed, get efficient. Take turns doing sets. If someone asks you, do the same thing. All our lives get better.

I’ve worked in with giant lads lifting twice my weights and smaller lads using 25% of the weight I was using. It’s all good, we all help each load and unload. No one gets angry and everyone makes friends.

they/them/theirs

You don't have to tell me about working in, or allowing others work in. I'm very persuasive. But in this case I was going to load up 220KG to do calf raises, and she would have been doing leg-press with maybe 30kg, so it wasn't feasible to work in, and in many cases women try their best to discourage others to work in (not all, by a lot more than guys), so I seldom even try with them. By the way, was your post "victim blaming"? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭reclose

Have any of you been told no when asking to work in? What was your response?

You could have easily worked in with the first person or the 2nd person. But I don’t want to argue about it, I just wanted to help make everyone’s gym experience a little more friendly and efficient.

they/them/theirs

I have, many times. I politely explained what I wanted to do and how it’s much cooler to share. Most of the time it’s worked. But I don’t make a big out of it. I move on if my explanation wasn’t accepted.

The most hilarious incident I ever had went like this:

me: silently wresting between sets of bench presses.

angry man: “Are you going to be finished soon? I’m waiting to use that!”

Me: “I have about 5 sets left”

AM: “That means I’ll be waiting ages!! Can you hurry up then, you’re just sitting there”

Me: “I have to rest between sets because I’m testing myself today, you’re welcome to work in. “

AM: “Wha?”

me: “take turns”

AM: “we can’t, I’ll be lifting more that you are”

me: “that’s ok, I’ll help you load the bar”

AM: “**** sake” and storms off

I am still mystified by the exchange. Completely bamboozled . About 30 mins later I saw him benching with about 2.5in ROM. He stated daggers at me between every set. It didn’t annoy me, it was pure entertainment

they/them/theirs

Yeah whatever. Anyway, the point of the story was the bizarre response that she had no proof that I was waiting to use the machine. I've been going to the gym since the '90s, and that's the maddest sh1t I've ever come across in all that time. I was stunned at the sheer cheek of her saying that to me. About working in: it's the only machine I don't work in on, coz I'm fcuked if I'm going to unload 200KG and reload it 6 times (that's 12 times in total). I'd rather wait 10 mins for the other person to finish.

Think of the loading/unloading as extra conditioning. It’s only 8 25kg plates. Get her to do half and it’s fine.

Her reaction was hilarious

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I would not be up for working in with a huge weight difference either.

But if you asked to use a machine next, went away to do whatever, and come back to find somebody else on it - Its kinda tough sht imo. Empty machine is a free machine.

I usually ask them to let me know when they’re finished or simply warm up beside it.

Post edited by Mellor on

Advertisement