Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭reclose

I don’t think calling it a generational thing washes either.
    Its poor etiquette full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

I don't think I'm bothering anyone. You can see an example of the kind of videos I took when I trained in Westwood last year. https://www.instagram.com/p/CpqNZs0oC-X/

Yeah people are vaguely visible at times, but not really enough to be identifiable. I've been doing this for about 9 years in a respectful way, and nobody has ever given me grief, probably because it's clear I'm trying to be sound.

Yeah there are loads of bad coaches on social media. That's kind of irrelevant to the point of whether someone should be allowed to record themselves in a training environment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Augme

Nope. It's a more a question based on a person's right or expectation of privacy. So in a gym, on the gym floor, it's not really possible to claim you have a right or an expectation to privacy on the gym floor when you share it with other members of the public. Now the gym changing rooms would be different, hence the reason most gyms now have policy and notices about taking photos/videosin the changing rooms not being allowed.

Post edited by Augme on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

I would say that being respectful and mindful of others is the exception, not the rule with this behaviour.

The gym is not a public space and people are well within their rights to request to not be recorded by someone else, either intentionally or inadvertantly. I've paid for the emmebership just as everyone else has, I've come to the gym to work and mind my own business. The last thing I want is for my face or love handles to be plastered all over someones social media for judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

Yep, there's been a few occasions where I've had to help someone unload a rack like this to avoid them getting hurt.

• Advertisement

Another point to about filming in gyms. I've pretty much learnt how to squat, deadlift, bench and do pretty much every other exercise with the best technique from people demonstrating and filming themselves in a gym. The likes of Jeff Nippard, Renaissance Periodization, Mitchell Hooper and lots of others have provided brilliant me with brilliant content, and all for free, by filming "live" in gyms.

I watched your video. I wouldn’t be cool with the first two exercises you videoed. You can clearly see the other people beside you.

My opinion would be that if you want to video yourself for social media you need to do it in a private setting.

Are you certain on this? I googled earlier and I couldn’t find anything about being on private property which the gym is.

I wonder could you argue that when you are in the gym, only gym members see you. Whereas if someone videos and puts it online non members of that gym then see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

You are not sharing the gym with "other members of the public", you are sharing it with "fellow gym members". There is a distinct difference here imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Gym's are businesses which allow paying customers exclusive access to their facilities.

In my personal opinion all gyms should implement policies prohibiting video and photo capture on their premises. The only functioning cameras should be the CCTV cameras on the premises, which in accordance with data protection legislation any member can have access to following the request process.

The problem with capturing another person in the background of your video and uploading it to the Internet is that while you may have had noble intentions when doing this, you have relinquished control of what happens to that footage once it is online.

If you're a trainer or influencer who wishes to use the gym for promotion of your business, you should be speaking to the gym owner/manager for permission to use their premises for that purpose, it's common courtesy after all and I'm sure that does happen, however the gym manager should be making sure that the capture of video for those purposes is brought to the attention of other members and the impact of the same is kept to a minimum for other members also.

Someone said earlier that people over 40 need to accept that this is part of the modern world, perhaps everyone needs to accept that there are largely very lax guidelines for these type of issues and a responsible approach is needed to find a compromise for such situations where currently doing whatever you want goes largely unchallenged.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Slideways

I’ve just found this thread by accident so apologies if this has been mentioned multiple times before but why the fúck do some ladies feel the need to walk around with half of SFA on and their camel toe eating their leggings.

Yea, pretty certain. At the end of the day, it's up to the gym to decide what the terms and conditions are for use of their facilities. If they say using a camera is allowed, no one can come along and tell them otherwise.

In terms of the law, there reallymisnt a distinct difference though. Again, as above, the gym are the one who get to decide what their terms and conditions are.

I d ounderstand that it's not everyone's cup of tea. Ultimately, I think that for most gyms, banning cameras wouldn't be a profitable decision either.

Post edited by Augme on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

You're right that I know there's a difference. The point is that none of these people are nonce's walking in off the street to video kids in the pool. Their kids are also in the pool, so they think they can do as please as they've no nefarious intentions, completely oblivious to (or uncaring of) the fact that they're also recording other people's kids. In other words, they don't stop to think about how their actions impact others.

As for blanket statements about "you do have the right", in most places in the Western world you are entitled to record someone in a public place. Whether it's good manners or not is a different story. You are not entitled to record someone without their consent in a private setting. A gym, with controlled access and open to only paying members, is clearly not "public".

As for it being something that us old **** (I'm 37 - based on your username you're hardly a teen who lives their entire life on Snapchat either) need to wise up about and accept that the younger generation lives a bit differently, if you upload a video of someone to YouTube without their consent and they complain about it, it will be deleted. I'd be shocked if other platforms didn't have the exact same policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

100 pc correct,

Not tolerated whatsoever where I train, mardyke arena

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’d say that’s entirely their own business. Leave them at it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

That's great. I don't think anyone is disputing that videos can be educational. Completely irrelevant to the question of privacy, GDPR, etiquette etc. though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I agree with the gist of your posts on this, but I'd also suggest that while this may be "the world we live in" now, in terms of the centrality of social media to people's lives, and the recording that entails... I think it's worth also reflecting on whether that's actually a good thing, or a harmful thing. Us 40+ crowd aren't necessarily wrong about this :P

We might be better turning the clock back on social media a bit.

At the end of the day, it's perfectly legal to do it so it's then up to a gym to decide if they are ban it.

out of interest, can you share where you found that information saying recording someone on private premises is legal?

I could only find links that covered public areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

My gym has signs saying to ask a staff members permission before recording, which i think is a good compromise. Doesn't ban it outright and gives a staff member the opportunity to set ground rules.

• Advertisement

On the contrary, gyms allowing this practice without any policies or procedures in place could potentially leave them open to litigation in certain situations.

I'm not sure how not allowing somebody to post videos from your gym is going to negatively impact your profit margins, it's not as if influencers are attracting members to gyms which are for the most part these days overcrowded to begin with.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭bren2001

A gym is a public place. It's legal to record someone in a gym. Private businesses can and still usually are public places.

You and a few others misunderstand the term public place. Effectively, if the public have access to it, it's a public place. A stadium is private property with controlled access but it's also a public place. A cafe or a shopping center are private businesses but public places. There are countless other examples.

thanks. I understand this better now.
    As it’s public accessible then there is no laws to prevent recording but because it’s private property the owner can have “rules” against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Yeah but every generation has said this when technology advances and infringes on traditional social norms. I'd love to have no smartphones at gigs like the early 00's, but that's a fantasy. No putting the genie back in the bottle.

If people feel that strongly about it, they should just find a gym that bans recording outright.

Technology routinely outpaces legislation but it never lasts indefinitely.

Framing this as an issue of age is reductive and an over simplification.

Glazers Out!

Or, alternatively, and I know this sounds crazy, anyone recording should maybe ask those around them if they have any issue with it.

….

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭event

This craic with the tops off is getting out of control.

it is and it isn’t.

Last week I was doing side planks and when I swopped sides a patron was doing banded clamshells, it was literally a few feet from my face.

If the roles were reversed and males started wearing speedos to the gym would people be as uncomfortable?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It might be that filming is all public spaces is here to stay, but I wouldn't be quite as fatalistic about it. As someone said above, sometimes technology does outstrip our management of it. It might not even be that legislation or bans are imposed, it could just be that an etiquette develops. Maybe the generation below you, Cilian, or below them, might drive that. We don't know. But change is always possible.

I do also think that there could be a growing evidence-based argument as to why we need to step back to an early point in terms of the prevalence of social media usage and filming. It will absolutely be hard, if we try it, because we'll be dealing with an addiction issue.

Advertisement