Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Final thing from me on this point. This is the "Annoying Gym Behaviour" thread. If we're at the point that everything comes down to "it's not illegal so **** off and find a gym that has policies more aligned to your way of thinking", as it appears to for certain posters, I think we're likely to find plenty more to disagree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

Infairness, someone asked was it against the law.

It personally doesn't bother me at all when people record in the gym. Once they're not dicks about it and it doesn't impact the people around them. I've recorded myself because my physio asked me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Absolutely. But my point is that there are Christ knows how many things that are annoying but aren't illegal. I don't like being recorded without my consent. Others don't like people leaving plates on a bar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I fully support your right to wear whatever you want to the gym.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Social media definitely could do with some changes. But where I differ is I actually don't see people recording themselves in gyms as a bad thing. I just agree that there are more and less considerate ways of doing it. I am not going to ask everyone on the gym floor to grant me their blessing so I can check my back angle on deadlifts. But I will set the camera up to avoid anyone being in the shot. If the back of someone's head end ups being way in the background, I'm probably not going to delete it. If a guy walks in front and is entirely in the shot, I will. So there's nuance.

Ultimately, this is a discussion that centres around the individual's beliefs around digital privacy, and I do believe it's clear that there is a distinct difference in how age groups think about that. Obviously there are exceptions. I have friends with no Instagram account, but they're very rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Just throwing my 2c in here, as someone who has had occasion to record themselves in the gym a number of times over the years (usually for form check) I don't think I've ever had anyone else in the shot. I can't see how it would happen in most scenarios.

I don't think I'd publish a video to the internet that had other people visible in it, but why would they be there in the first place? You just stay in your rack, or on your platform etc. No one is gonna walk into your space mid-set surely??

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A gym, certainly at least most gyms. Are public places, not private settings. The idea of private property can be misleading.

People should absolutely take care when recording around kids. And even without kids present, there should be a bit of curtesy shown anyone in the background. Those should be a given.

But there’s a big difference between curtesy and being illegal to take photos at the gym. The gym is absolutely a public building. It has nothing to do with whether access is free or paid.

That doesn’t mean anyone has to suck it up and can’t find it annoying, of course they can. But it can be annoying with the need to tack on misinformation.

Easy to have nobody in the shot if you can aim at the wall. But with racks in a row centrally. A side view form check will pick up the adjacent rack. Or front/back on will pick up people behind.

I’d expect most form checks to be so close that the background bystanders are not very clear. If people are being considerate and trying to not pick up others if possible. Then I’m ok with it.

But the people who think recording themselves at the gym gives them rights to the space, and it’s the rest of us that are inconsiderate. LMFAO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Filming and capturing more of the gym floor is still less common than people taking some care, but I do see it. It seems the more the norm for some American fitness influencers not to care, though, which suggests its coming down the tracks here? There seems to be an emerging sub-genre of their content which deals with people who don't react well to being caught, or who are looking at them, or who approach them… Everything seems to be potential content these days.

Filming and taking selfies in the changing rooms is an issue too, and more clear-cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭event

Need our own Joey Swole over here

• Advertisement

To be honest, that was exactly who I was thinking about when I wrote about lunatics getting stroppy about other users walking through their shots. That's def. am american thing. Joey normalising calling out that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I had to google who Joey Swoll was… wow. some of that stuff is hilarious.

thanks for the last 15 minutes of my life on youtube… 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 16,367 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

A gym like any business is private property.

If you're labouring under the assumption that gyms are public spaces that anyone has access to you're very much mistaken.

Even your local shop is private property and you can be refused entry without explanation.

The only misinformation here is what you're putting forward. That phrase is overused to some extent these days, the irony of putting forward demonstrably false information in this context shouldn't be lost on people.

Glazers Out!

Where I say a gym wasn’t private property? lol.
    I said it was a public space. I literally pointed out that had nothing to do with ownership or access.

You are getting mixed up between private property and private/public space. Which is great, because it’s literally the confusion I referred to above. Thanks for highlighting my point perfectly.

Private property isn't public space by definition.

Very few spaces are public spaces, most of the world around you is private property. Local authority parks are public spaces, footpaths and roads the same, pretty much everything else is private and even buildings like hospitals for example don't allow unfettered access to all.

When you are on or in private property, even private property that allows access to virtually anyone like a shop, you can expect to be subject to terms of use of that space.

Shoplift in your local supermarket and you may well never be allowed back in if you are prosecuted.

The confusion you're referring to above is a confusion only you seem to be experiencing.

None of us are entitled to act however we please in the majority of spaces. As a general rule of thumb, the only place you can do as you like is your own home but even there you're subject to the law.

How this relates to gyms and use of cameras is that the only thing allowing people to use cameras in gyms is a lack of policy being implemented by the gym management. Gyms aren't public spaces, you can't walk in without being a member or registering for a pass, I'm confused as to why to think that is the case.

Glazers Out!

Re-read my post, I stated pretty clearly that it wasn't related to ownership, or access. Yet you are still focused on on both - again, that's I referred to when I said people get mislead by private property in relation to space being public or not.

Private property isn't public space by definition

Incorrect. Private/Public property is simply ownership. Private/Public has many other legal usages. Most buildings are privately owned. Being a public space is not based on ownership, its based on usage.

Shopping centres, cinemas, etc are usually privately owned but they are also public spaces. Which is based on whether the building is use for public assembly. They area required to meet regulations for public spaces. That's a legal requirement.

A airport terminal is a public space. That's a function of its usage as a place of public assembly. Dublin Airport is state-owned. Heathrow Airport is privately owned. Both are building are significant public spaces.

Gyms aren't public spaces, you can't walk in without being a member or registering for a pass, I'm confused as to why to think that is the case.

The only person that mentioned unfettered access was you. Again, you confusingly think that is somehow relevant to any of the above. Do you really think you can walk up to Dublin Airport, Leinster house, the Four Courts, etc demand access to all areas because they are publicly owned? LMFAO Good luck with that.

There are lots of places you need to pay to access (airports, concerts, sports, exhibitions etc). Rarely is it based on the building ownership type.

When you are in a place of public assembly, like a gym. You don't have an expectation of privacy. Therefore you don't need people's permission to take photographs, where they might be in the background. That applies in a public park, or in the crowd at Croke Park (a privately owned, but also a public space). In a changing room you do have an expectation of privacy, so taking photos would very different legally - regardless of the public/private ownership.

There is no public assembly in a gym.

You've listed a load of places that have common areas where access can be reasonably expected to be given to anyone.

Take a shopping centre for example, the mall is operated by the management company of behalf of the owner, the shops are operated by the companies who are renting that space from the owner through the management company, you can wander into any shop at your leisure, if there is a gym there you cannot, unless you are a paid member and when you are a paid member there are terms and conditions attached to you accessing that space.

Taking photographs isn't an issue, and certainly isn't the crux of this issue. There is a grey area around recording others then uploading to the Internet. A good number of gyms have policies against this which decimates whatever point you're trying to make here. That is an example of terms of use being enforced in a private space by the operator.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I don't know if there's a name for it, but "reserving" two machines as you alternate between the two by throwing a hoody on them and/or leaving your water there.

This irritates me a when the gym is extremely busy. I find it downright obnoxious when the lad stops and chats with another patron for 5 minutes while occupying two machines.

As I pointed out free access is not relevant. You’re clutching on to your incorrect notions. Paid access is hardly unique to gyms.

Many shopping centres have cinemas. A cinema is a clearly a public assembly space. You can't just wander in without a ticket like its pennys. A concert hall, a football stadium, a night club. You can't access airside parts of an airport without a ticket. All of those places have access restrictions to people who have paid. A gym falls under public assembly under the law (building regulations).

Place of assembly includes: theatre, public library, hall or other building of public resort used for social or recreational purposes;

A good number of gyms have policies against this which decimates whatever point you're trying to make here.

That is an example of terms of use being enforced in a private space by the operator.

My point was that its not illegal to take photos in public. How does a gym policy against photos decimate my point? You think the gym owners are able to change the law with their polices? LOL. I mean, if you even though about it for a second, you might realise that if it were illegal, there would be no need for any polices in the first place. Far form decimate it, the policies back up that its not illegal.

Owners and operators can attached terms they like to their contracts. If people breech them, their membership can (and should) be cancelled. That's the terms they agreed to, and they broke the agreement. But breeching the terms of a gym contract, only affects that contract. It does not mean you have broken the law. FYI, sneaking sweets into the cinema is also not illegal.

You basically claiming that taking photos at Croke Park is illegal, because you can't just wander in, you need to buy a ticket, and it has a private owner. Obviously that is nonsense, but here we are having to explain that.

Agree with that one. Does my head it.
    My internal rule is that it's fine to use two machines at once if it is quiet. If you have to hang a towel on the machine to keep it, then its not quiet.

Leaving a towel on a machine is for getting a drink of water. Use two machines if you like. Most people will work around you when they can. But when it gets busy it's not fair to expect them to wait for you to complete a tri-set across 3 machines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I think Mellor is correct about public versus private places.

In addition to the places you'd expect to be considered public places, Irish law - in statute and in case law - says that any premises which the public have access to, whether that's on payment or not, is considered a public place. It can still be a privately-owned business.

Gym owners are responding to the concerns of other members not wanting to have images or videos with them featured onto the Internet. I've never argued that people recording in gyms is illegal.

I'm not sure why you're saying I've argued that taking photographs is illegal in any publicly accessible spaces, I've never said that yet half of your post is ridiculing me for something I didn't say.

Go into a cinema and take your phone out to record and you'll be asked to leave. In some gyms you'll be asked to not record whilst on their premises. It's not that difficult to understand or comply with.

Just because you have access to a place doesn't mean you have any entitlement to do as you please while there.

Just to hammer this home one final time, I never stated taking photographs or videos is illegal, please don't misrepresent me.

Glazers Out!

My point was that taking photos in gyms was not illegal because gyms were public places. Pretty simple.

You said that wasn’t true. And that gym having policy against photos “decimated” that point. How could “not illegal” be decimated other than being illegal. You have not been misrepresented.

You’re claims about ownership, access etc. Also nonsense as I demonstrated.

Not being illegal doesn’t men there can’t be policies in place.

Just because you have access to a place doesn't mean you have any entitlement to do as you please while there

Has any one said you can? How would anything think that you could.

The irony of crying about misrepresentation when you’re making these strawman.

You’ve completely changed your point. Your previous claim was that gyms are not public spaces and now you appear to row back on that effectively stating you never tried to claim that.

I never said anything was illegal. If you want to labor that point have at it, it was you who raised the spectre of legality, not me, you're turning this into a massive issue when it isn't.

Put simply, you don't get to go into any business and do what you like. You're on private property and you either behave within the rules of the establishment or leave.

In relation to gyms and photographs or videos, you shouldn't feel entitled to go into a place where people are exercising and whip your phone out and start recording without consideration for the people around you because you feel it's a public place.

Glazers Out!

No I haven't.

Gyms are private, only members can access them. Can you point out precisely where I said otherwise?

Glazers Out!

You’re entire point is pivoting. They’re public spaces that are privately owned which meant certain laws did/did not apply. You’re pivoting on that.

Nobody said gyms couldn’t kick people out for taking videos. They can have their own rules. The entire discussion was about legality which you’re now claiming was never your point. It’s BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,045 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

On annoying gym behaviour….

and I'm sure its been said many times, but it always annoys me…

People using the dumbbell rack as a piece of equipment, or doing their curls RIGHT beside it - so that the weights infront of them are inaccesable.

Use a bench you can angle if you need to brace… or just bugger off away from the rack if you are just doing curls.

there should be a 'you can't exercise in this space' line in front of the rack.

I never mentioned laws or legality.

Not sure who's posts you're reading.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

I was reading yours and it’s how the entire discussion was framed. Otherwise the fact it’s a public place is therefore irrelevant in the discussion.

Now, you pivot. It’s embarrassing.

Advertisement