Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking - Shooting and Explosion at Concert Hall in Moscow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭jmreire

Quote:- "As of now, the Kerch Strait Bridge is not fully operational. Despite Russia’s efforts to repair it, the bridge remains restricted. Currently, only one rail track is open for transport. Unquote.

More Quote:- "The Kerch Strait Bridge is strategically crucial for maintaining Russia’s military presence in Crimea. Any disruption to this critical infrastructure impacts Russia’s ability to sustain military operations. @ Unquote.

Now, and for the 2nd time, comments on Putins murderous attacks on innocent civilians, not only in Ukraine, but elsewhere?

Because the bottom line is, had Putin not illegally invaded the sovereign independent state of Ukraine, we would not even be having this conversation. But for some reason, you are extremely reluctant to discuss Putins part in all of this……( and BTW, regarding the Cactus terrorist attack, nothing of that nature happens in Putins Russia without his knowledge and agreement…..unless, wonder of wonders, there's a rogue branch of the FSB operating without his knowledge???

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭randomuser02125

So you've narrowed Ukraine's 'terrorism' down to basically a single IRA operation?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Its a ludicrously dumb take though. You're okay with Russia invading because they did it for self defence. Complete bullshit. Russia was the aggressor. It was not remotely in self defense. Both in 2014 and 2022

Same nonsense another poster on here says about Israel. They only attacked to stop being attacked.

That's why I suggested you go read a book. So yourself a favour from the absolute mental gymnastics at work there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Well, your second source is clearly faulty. Vasyl Malyuk, the head of the SBU gave an interview 25 March 2024 where he admitted the Russians do not use the Kerch bridge for military purposes. But yet Russia continues to sustain military operations without it. Despite recognising it has no military value, Malyuk still wants to hit it. Because it has symbolic value.

A strike on a civilian target which has no military value (as admitted by the SBU) is terrorism. So, as I noted, we have a state that is comfortable with carrying out terrorism.

As for you wanting to drag the thread off topic, this is about the terrorist attack in Moscow and speculation about who might have motive, means and opportunity - at least until the investigation concludes. The 2022 truck bombing of the Kerch bridge is only relevant because it demonstrates past behaviour of a possible candidate for organising terrorist attacks.

There's no gymnastics involved? It's objectively the pretext the Russians used. Crack open a dictionary and look up the word pretext. It doesn't imply the open ended approval you seem to think it does.

• Advertisement

So regarding the Cactus terrorist attack, do you think that Putin (or his FSB) had anything to do with it, or not? Simple yes or no will suffice.

No, the various other murders of civilians carried out by the Ukrainians is still terrorism. So the truck bombing is part of a pattern, not a one off. But people prefer to argue about the military value of the Kerch bridge. Probably because they're queasy about the murders of journalists, bloggers and former politicians and the bombings of coffee shops so want to move away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭randomuser02125

Where would you place Ukrainian 'terrorism' in your list of concerns which seems to include things like immigrants and transgender people?

I don't have enough information to determine that. A couple of years ago, I'd probably have nodded along with the accusation because surely the commonly held view must be based on something concrete, right?

But now - when I consider the commonly held view is a single Ukrainian pilot was fighting off the entire Russian airforce by himself - well, I don't nod along with the accusation. I'd have to look at the evidence myself. Which at this point seems impossible.

EDIT - I thought you were referring to the earlier accusation that Putin and the FSB bombed an apartment block in 1999. But when you say Cactus, you might mean Crocus City Hall? If so, no. There's no evidence for it and any fringe benefit cant outweigh the damage it causes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And you qualified it by saying it gives them room to go so far, basically saying that they did it and it's okay they did. If you didn't think it was okay you'd have left it at that

• Advertisement

Seeing as you place great emphasis on what the head of the Ukrainian SBU, Vasyl Malyuk has said, heres the opinion on the Crocus attack by another Ukrainian source,HUR.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Are you so far gone that you're arguing whether the Kerch bridge is a valid military target? You've lost all semblance of your morality in this anti-NATO/USA stupor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

It really takes a lot of mental gymnastics to make the Ukrainians look like the aggressors.

Ukraine has been targeting military and economic targets: the Kerch bridge is absolutely a part of Russian military logistics. As for the Dugins, they're about as much "civilians" as Lord Haw Haw or Tokyo Rose during WWII.

It's the Russians that have been blowing up power stations, apartment blocks, hospitals, schools, water treatment facilities, shopping centres and suchlike. And they've been doing it daily, I'd imagine Russia murders more Ukrainian civilians every few days than IS-K killed in Moscow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The target is valid, and turning the truck driver into an unwitting mule does not necessarily make it terrorism. Blowing up the bridge with the truck driver on it - what's the difference? You haven't even tried to explain it. The attack was not intended to terrorise the civilian population, but to attack a target which has military utility and affects Russia's ability to control illegally annexed territory.

So we can see in the absence of foundation or evidence, you are just arguing by assertion.

And also, running away from any posts contrary to your false narrative about Ukraine when it is pointed out to you that Russia is well capable of killing its own citizens deliberately for political purposes, and does so as a way of terrorising their citizens into submission and not speaking out. Do you deny that?

And that the public results of their 'investigation' will be drafted for propaganda value. Do you deny that?

It is obvious to anyone paying attention to the thread your posts are just exercises in dumping Russian propaganda, purely to have an excuse to criticise Ukraine. Any recognition of how Russia abuses its own citizens is entirely absent from your posts, and what that means for how Russia behaves in response to these attacks. Your concern for terrorism stretches as far as Russian borders it seems.

The idea that Ukraine is behind the theatre attack is without merit or foundation. It makes no sense except as the basis for Russia to further its propaganda war against Ukraine and you are a party to that. You are digging up irrelevent actions by Ukraine, while ignoring how Russia acts and that ISIS-K has claimed responsibility.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

AAh Here,

Have you gone so far yourself, if you want to narrow down acts of terrorism to a single individual,how about we here your thoughts on the photos of a 2 year old Ukrainian girl that was riddled with bullets at the start of this war.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Come on, you can't put a Ukrainian source forward as trustworthy, i think they might be a tad bias in regards this matter don't you think.

The fact is right now nobody knows 100% what happened but it's most likely what it seems an Islamic terror attack. Sometimes there is no wild conspiracy it's just the most likely scenario.

The point is that the poster was happy to quote Malyuk as a source for other attacks.

So either what Malyuk says has weight in their eyes or it does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Journalists? To repeat myself unnecessarily, they were journalists in the same way that Ferdinand Nahimana and Hassan Ngeze were ''journalists''. They were war criminals. The coffee shop bombing was undertaken by the Ruzzian resistance and Ukrainian involvement is always a feature of Ruzzian denunciations and about as credible as all their accusations. That is-not at all. While I'm at it, I notice you have had nothing to say about the Ruzzian murder of Victoria Amelinna , also killed in a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

In fairness, I've asked you more than once on if you think Russia had the right to invade Ukraine and have also asked if you believe they're pursuing a genocidal agenda. Generally when people don't answer such questions, it says a lot about their views. Instead we get vague dodges on the topic.

In fairness, you keep claiming Dugina was just a run of the mill journalist... She was doing propaganda for the Russians. The Tatarsky killing wasn't even attributed to Ukraine but you seemed to have sold the line they killed him...

• Advertisement

Up to you who you want to give credence to, but personally, I would trust Ukrainian sources all day long over anything that comes out of the Kremlin factory of lies. They have a very long history of lying long before they illegally invaded Ukraine. Putin's empire is built on lies.

The US have said it was ISIS K. I'm not given any credence to the Kremlin please don't try and twist my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I recall that particular poster being very active in the Russia thread prior to the invasion two years ago. I also recall them being quite dismissive of the very notion that Russia was about to invade. I do not recall them posting much after the invasion began.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Some posters have said it doesn’t look like an Islamic attack because of the way the attackers tried to escape rather than commit a traditional “suicide” attack ending in their own deaths.
    There were a couple of counter examples posted at the time.

Here’s another example that’s in the news today, where the attackers fled, this time in a taxi, and hid for 48 hours before being taken alive:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68737669

I guess they just can’t find competent staff for their suicide missions any more? 🤨

Where am I twisting your words? You made a statement, and I commented on it, giving my own opinion.

It actually doesn't. You see how I mentioned China, India and the "global south" in the very next line as the audience Russia is making the argument to? The initial pretext Russia presented (to the same audience) of collective self defence only allows them to go so far - once Donbass is effectively secured and the original pretext closed, what rationale has Russia to proceed further? Russia (and lets face it, China, India and the global south) need a new pretext to justify to themselves proceeding further. The head of the SBU has just handed them one on a platter.

It's a pretext. Just as all the Russian lies about the invasion was.

The head of the SBU has given Russia nothing on a platter.

If people don't have the understanding that Donbass etc was all a pretext, Russia doesn't need any words from Ukraine to come up with another pretext of lies to 'justify' their actions. It just invents one.

Any excuse in your posts to criticise Ukraine, zero actual criticism of Russia. Either of their response to the attack, their treatment of the 'suspects' or their rush to blame Ukraine without evidence.

Transparent you are just here dumping Russian propaganda. You're not even discussing the theatre attacks, because you have no real evidence to tie this to Ukraine.

I think I'd place it into a pattern of Ukrainian propaganda where the Ukrainians attempt to claim the Russians are shelling their own nuclear power plant, or the claim that some Russian resistance group carbombed Darya Dugina, or that some Russian liberation army totally unrelated to the Ukrainian army is invading Russia.

The Ukrainians might have some reason to lie about who carried out the Crocus City Hall attack. They have no reason to lie about Kerch bridge not being used for military purposes. So if the latter admission holds a lot more weight.

Ukraine has no reason to involve themselves in the attack, a point you ignore.

The Russians have far more reason to lie about the attack, to pin it on Ukraine, a point you ignore.

But of course, you are "not interested" in that angle at all because you will not say anything critical of Russia, only Ukraine.

• Advertisement

I'm posting in a thread where people are trying to justify the murder of civilians because they don't like the civilians.

On the other hand, I'm saying that when you try to blow up a civilian bridge, or any civilian infrastructure, you have to test that the military benefits outweigh the likely loss of civilian life. And even the SBU admits the bridge has no military purpose.

I don't think I am the one whose lost their moral compass. Unfortunately a lot of people have been radicalised to endorse the targeted murder of civilians. And once you're willing to accept the murder of civilians, what coherent objection do those people have to the murder of more civilians as was done in the Crocus City Hall attack?

Advertisement