Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Given my 3 year old the job of putting the containers in the machine when shopping, he loves doing it. Hes very slow so I do end up with about 10 receipts but keeps him happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

tesco in the north have Guinness with the ReTurn Tax applied symbol. Unfortunately the Guinness is priced at 20GBp vs 20e here.

Also Brew Dog Punk are accepted in the tax return machines here. But best to try Northern bought product in the machines. Lots of products that are cheaper in the north are accepted in the machines (when they work)

Tropicana Robinsons Innocent Guinness brewdog- all have paid out for me at SuperValu

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Whats the position when you have cans that were bought in that store, have the return logo but the RVM wont accept. Do the staff have to accept them manually at the checkouts? Because I asked in Aldi and they said 'nothing we can do'. I thought there was supposed to be something about them accepting them manually in event of machines not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

their point is the ReTurn is a wonderful success, their point is your the problem because your perception is altered by less going into the recycling bin.

This is another way to view their post

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Fantastic scam by the government.

These cans are now 25c more expensive than they were a few months ago.

And by their own rules being over 500ml I should get 25c back on each one, what I paid.

But I spent so much time and wasted so much petrol trying to recycle them because machines are:

That from now on I'll purposely dump them in the rubbish bin, not the recycling because my time and patience are worth more than thinking about yet another government failure.

I also brought well over 100 cans to the bank and it accepted maybe 30% of them.

SCAM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

also if you did plan on heading out to a LIDL just to get rid of those small robinsons bottles and a couple more stuff (assuming you have enough to make it worthwhile) a tip i would reccomend doing is phoning up the LIDL you intend on going to before hand (or a friend that lives close by the area) to find out if the machine is actually working. about 3 weeks back in this thread i went to 3 lidl's in a row, all machines down, and a dealz too not working. ended up having to lug them around and eventually found a tesco which thankfully took the majority.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Well normally one is told to just go try them in another store's machine, while the workers shrug their shoulders claiming to know nothing about it or saying there's nothing they can do.

But ideally after having tried that i think it's best you keep receipts for everything you buy that comes with a deposit and have the receipt (proof of purchase) when returning to that store, to try get the deposit cost back at the customer service or counter. its not an easy process and sometimes may not always result in success, but try not to lose the head, sometimes they give the deposit just to get rid of you quick, other times no luck and is nothing but hassle.

After trying that we're reccomended by the scheme to send an email with the photo of your receipt and can to return, but from my own personal experiances i have absolutely no fate whatsoever in going down the "emailing return" route. It's a desperate last resort if anything

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Isn't it funny how it's advertised as a deposit you will get back, but in reality in many cases it's a roll of the dice whether you will get your refund! And yes stores should be forced to take back manual returns just like you can go through manual checkouts but it seems to keep the stores happy with this scheme it was never mandated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭SteM

Is anyone having these problems hammering re-turn on social media or contacting them via email? If they are what are the responses or have they given up responding?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What's the story with not being able to use the receipts in a different chain store, recycled in one Lidl, another Lidl wouldn't take the receipt.

Seems absolutely stupid the receipt must be used in the same store especially when its a private chain with a centralized system - I guess the barcode is linked in to their tilling system for when it's redeemed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It seems no one decided to use this as an opportunity to stop drinking fizzy drinks, particularly given the obesity levels in Ireland.

Or have people cut down on drinking that junk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

This machine would make it sooooo much easier:

You can just dump them in in bulk:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vi-Lgcjkf5w

people still drink it. instead the usual suspects (coca-cola, fanta, sprite etc) just ended up spamming a bunch of zero sugar versions around instead, and branded it with exciting words like max, zero, and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,831 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Has anyone tried Mr Price, every outlet doing manual returns according to their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I tried to bring back a few bottles there but as soon as the store assistant scanned the second one it started a major fire in the shop and unfortunately the store is closed now until further notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,745 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have 6x 18 slabs of Regular Coke sitting in the hall that I picked up over a few days last week when Dunnes had them for a tenner + new Green tax.

Each one of them will be going into the bin which in turn will all get dumped into the compactor at the local landfill when the single wheelie bin I have is full - just as I've always done. Cost to get rid of those 7/8 bags.. about a tenner.

It's just another tax we have to live with. It's certainly better than wasting time and effort playing roulette with the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vafankillar

zero/diet/sugar free drinks now take up a huge amount of the market & have no affect on obesity levels as there's no calories obvs

infact if obesity levels havent' dropped, you could argue sugary drinks probably had little to do with overall obesity levels

• Registered Users Posts: 22,255 ✭✭✭✭endacl

extremely nit-pickey post:

OK, so cards on the table. I think the scheme is bull5hit, but that aside… I was at the departure gate in Dublin Airport. I bought a bottle of water from a machine, with the Green Party tax added. There is no return machine at the gates in DA. Should there be a deposit charge attached to plastic bottles at ports of exit? I had no way to return the bottle. I was hardly going to keep it in my hand luggage and haul it to Spain for a week? What if I was emigrating? Should I post it back to get my refund? Surely that defeats common sense, if not practicality? Who gets to keep all those un-claimable deposits from dublin, cork, Shannon and knock airports? And from all the ferry ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭beachhead

Everyone who doesn't get a refund from machines-broken,whatever or in any store should email a copy of receipt and store location to DRS overlords and to all their local TDs.Also,complain about stores not refunding.Swamp them! It only takes a few finger thumps and think of the satisfaction of knowing the overflowed inbox at DRS offices.It might wake someone up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭beachhead

Post it to the DAA for the craic and see what happens.Probably nothing.Probably go straight into the postroom bin without being opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yep, haven't bought one bottle or can with a deposit charge since it came in. now I bought very few anyway so its not a big deal.

jjust back from a dental checkup no fillings as well

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Daith

That's exactly what the sugar tax was for. And we've all cut down on alcohol because of the minimum alcohol pricing.

Increasing the price on something is a very easy thing to do, but I don't know what the results have been. Same with this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

As a tip when using the return machine, if the item won't scan, make sure the bar code is dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

Nope i admit i drink 2 much coke zero but hey i like it now it just costs me more now buy multipacks we get home delivery and quite honestly cant be arsed putting all my cans into the car and driving to a shop and putting them in one by one and having loads of rejects and stressing and fighting over a few euro extra i am just doing what i always do they have all been trown in the recycling bin

Now i will say if our rvms where like some them ones iv seen that take bags all in one go id be more inclined to at least try it bit i cant be arsed standing there feeding cans into a machine one at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nope me too, never had a single rejection. Don't know what people are doing to have such problems.

I've used machines in tesco, SuperValu, Aldi and dunnes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is a RVM airside in both terminals in Dublin Airport.

There does not appear to be one in the other airports, but the map is crap so maybe there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Problem is, if you can get a voucher, you can only spend it airside....

I got caught for 25c deposit on a 500ml bottle of water in Cork airport airside before travelling last week. They have replaced the charity €1 bottles with €2 cartons for profit, so a loss there too to charities. And while I could buy a carton of water, it doesn't appeal to drink from same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can get cash for any voucher (everywhere, just only where its issued) either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭crusd

Look familiar dont they. Just because a couple of places may have the bulk machines doesnt mean everywhere does

Advertisement