Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The media unquestioningly accepting the whingeing of teachers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i thought they were all moving to dubai

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

The home after 5pm bit is gas. But I used to do that type of commute, its wearing. Definitely a problem for Dublin schools getting staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

RTE’s obsession with the teacher conferences is a bit 1980’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's Easter the teachers have the stage so they put their story to the forefront.

They are unionised unlike a lot of others doing similar commutes so they use the union structures to make their point.

To be fair those kind of long days are very wearing and it's a point well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

They're not running it just because it's a teacher.

They're running it because it's part of the larger story of teacher shortages in Dublin, the ASTI conference in Wexford, and the housing crisis.

I did a 2 hour commute for a few months, then I changed jobs. Not worth the time and the cost. No wonder teachers are leaving Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I couldn't really disagree with any of the article. It's a tough slog and explains why many just don't do it. Teachers are just a good example of jobs that cannot be remotely, among others.

Obviously the core problem here is the housing crisis though.

Increasing salaries (generally, not just for teachers) is only a short term fix, and indeed only escalates the inflationary problems.

You only need to look at any of the threads running about the current government, Leo, or new Taoiseach Harris to sense people's dissatisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭blackwhite

She's working in Stepaside and decided that Portlaoise was a good place to be commuting from?

Wicklow town or even Arklow would be similar prices for equivalent housing and be a much easier commute to Stepaside.

Even Gorey would be a better commute to there than Portlaoise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

In fairness to her the artice states: "Living in Dublin is not affordable, she says, so she looked along the M7 for a place where she could commute to south county Dublin and also go back to her home county of Limerick to see friends and family."

So she still wanted to be close enough to family etc which is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kurooi

It's like watching infants, throwing fits at every little inconvenience. I swear we need a show where a teacher has to do any other job for just 1 day. Stock shelves, admin paper work, whatever. I'd put money on them having a mental breakdown and crying by afternoon. There will be zoomed shots of them crying when they hear they need to work past 2pm. This one will go wild hearing that she doesn't get to be home by 5, she has to work until 5, and that's on a VERY GOOD DAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Then it's her choice. She could have lived in a lot of places within an hour of work but decided not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Very hard job, long commute and babysitting spoilt, entitled kids, for people who are working from home and on way larger salaries.

The housing crisis really makes it clear what is a poor salary these days. It's shocking. Terribly bad play by the government.

People who think it's ok, definitely are not recommending that their kids go into teaching.

This is how a fair society dies.

I'd like to see the opposite.

Leave your job stocking shelves and be put into a room with 35 teenagers and try to teach them Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I bet stocking boys would have more drive for the job than teachers. And at least many of them have just passed their leaving cert so the standard would be much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

RTE has always been a mouthpiece for public sector unions, Beit teachers, guards or nurses etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

It amazes me the amount of teachers children that decide to take up teaching considering its so so hard!

All those 183 days a year of sheer torture!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you've spent years in teaching college learning how to teach Irish to a class of teenagers then you should be prepared for it. You'll have done teaching practice throughout your course too.

It's not quite the same as someone going in blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Deeec

I read the article aswell and thought it was pathetic. Do teachers think they are the only ones who commute to work?

She's home by 5pm so actually shes quite lucky. Most other people who commute are not even left their workplace by then.

It just seems teachers are never happy with any aspect of their job. They need to work a real world job and then they may realise how lucky they are with the terms and conditions they have

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I remember the story about nurses in the Rotunda. Some found it easier to commute from spain rather than try and find accommodation in Ireland. It's a problem that all sectors are facing. And it's something that the IT regularly highlight with articles about different professions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Teachers only seem concerned about Gaza.

Primary school teachers get 14 weeks off a year and secondary get 18 weeks off a year.

The woman in the article is living in a teacher bubble.

• Advertisement

I'm sure the course teaches you how to teach.

Does it teach you how to handle 35 teenagers in an overcrowded classroom, when some of them have poor language skills, some have mental health issues, a mix of cultural backgrounds, socio-economic backgrounds, some with violent behaviour etc etc.?

If you're not suited for that situation, then seek another job.

Plenty of talented people will be able to deal with the situation you quote and keep control of the class.

Master of the Universe

That's the name of the game. If folks don't like it then don't become teachers or look for another job.

In a past life I managed a team of 30 adults in a multi national. I dealt with poor language skills, mental health issues, a huge mix of cultural backgrounds, even cases of violent behaviour. I didn't get the summers off though. I also realised I didn't enjoy it anymore and changed career…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The cost of accommodation + the fact that some people can work remotely have been two huge changes in the past 5 years.

Rethinking my previous response, why do teachers need to work/commute to Dublin at all ?

There will be a lot of demand with more people who have kids working remotely and also a huge influx of immigrants and their kids who can't afford to live in Dublin either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Suckler

Driving 80 minutes is something many people do, but they have to do it far more days a year than a teacher will have to

The fact that we accept this as 'the norm' is a bigger issue but punching down is easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Good one today. Teacher moves to UAE as "he was made an offer that was too good to turn down" and "the school which offered him a job agreed to pay for his flights and find him accommodation". Now, 4 years later he's back, aged 42, and wants incremental credit for years spent in the UAE. House prices have increased in the meantime and he's "devastated". Claims he can't get a mortgage at all now but implies that if he had 4 extra years' of increments, he could.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/im-devastated-my-wife-and-i-are-wondering-why-we-came-back-teachers-four-years-work-in-dubai-not-reflected-in-pay/a1514775658.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Airports that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

wtf did he do with his tax free UAE money that you can't even spend over in that kip? i thought people go there to pocket a load of money so that they can buy somewhere when they come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, the union reps have been spinning that line - that teachers should be able to go off to Timbuktu, earn loads dosh and then come back and slot in as if they never left. Norma Foley was asked about it the other day and deflected by talking of push/pull factors.

Of course Irish teachers should be welcome home but on the same basis as anyone who emigrates for a few years or more.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

That one made me laugh this morning. The level of entitlement! I actually had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't a Waterford Whisperers article.

Advertisement