Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭MFPM

It was always going to pass in high numbers. Happy to be among the 6% on Forsa who voted no.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭scooby77

INTO 82% for...biggest teacher Union, 3rd or 4th biggest Public sector Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭bren2001

A 66% turnout is pretty good. Infact, its excellent.

4% of the Forsa membership voted against the deal. Even if everyone who didn't vote, voted no, it still would have passed 62% to 38% (and obviously, thats a ridiculous scenario. Plenty who didn't vote would vote yes).

There's zero evidence that the Unions have no power. They just negotiated a 9.25 - 10.25% pay deal. You are right people will complain in 18 months, you're already complaining now. You're the exception and don't reflect the public sector at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

And there is the excuse maybe just maybe they did know were invested and decided it was a good deal.

Way better then going out on strike and been treated like the last time (though not called Forsa at the time) of we will help our members out and then changing only helping out essential areas to helping others.

My experience was not great was in a wheelchair and said if there was bad rain I could not come in as I be sitting in water to be told if I am not at the picket line I be sanctioned

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

Disappointing but hardly surprising with the Forsa scaremongering and inability to give the actual figure or even correct the media in the figure being reported. There is very little benefit to being in Forsa anymore, for me anyway as I haven't agreed with the pay deals put to me to vote on but the other members have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Garbage like saying that a drop in inflation will mean prices will fall?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Looks like 94% of the ballot didnt understand inflation and a real term paycut. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JP2000

Disappointed but not surprised at how easily this passed. Not a bit of fight in anyone. Not looking forward to all the extra work under the guise of ‘new initiatives’ that will be coming our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Love this line.

I believe in collective action, but only when the majority agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,421 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The majority of people have looked at their own situation and decided this was an acceptable deal for them.

I think that's got to be respected. Those that don't agree need to decide how much they don't agree. There are options available oviously.

If down the line these changes reduce the liklihood of people joining the public and civil service the state will need to contine to review.

It's not hard to see why a lot of people would accept a 9 percent pay increase over the course of 3 years......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Arealred

Voted No. Now that the results are known when does the pay increase and back pay hit our accounts?

Love to know what it is you're laughing at.

Enjoy your continuing long term drop in living standards.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭maneno

Think this depends on particular department you work in, it varies

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Arealred

Thanks. Local Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

There is totally room in the space for a union that exclusively caters to people hired after the recession hiring freeze / post pension getting gutted.

The Civil Service is still 2 entirely different worlds and economic situations with that old guard still a far away majority.

The young people voted through this deal too.

I was hired after 2013. The gutting of the pension and the introduction of ASC doesn’t bother me at all. It’s not something I’d strike over. The pension seems reasonable. I also don’t have a separate scale like teachers.

The current Unions cater for this cohort already imo.

You're clearly not a CO then - many will struggle to get out more than they paid in - and the government is counting on people not looking at the longer term implications of shite pay deals.

Life ain't always empty.

No, I’m not a CO and I’m not a Civil Servant (public but I don’t think that matters). Why does this thread immediately revert to “what about the COs?” They’re one group.

I can only view it through my own lens, I’ll retire on 40k+ (inclusive of the state pension of course) with a lump sump of over 100k.

Most of my friends in the private sector my age have no pension yet and would pay through the roof for the equivalent.

It’s not a bad pension. It’s just not as good as it was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

There absolutely isn’t. The “old” civil service is long gone. People come and go between public and private sector now depending on their own circumstances and options. The idea that there’s a strong enough tie to the civil service for those “new” recruits that they would sustain a new union is fantasy IMO.

It’s why the public v private sector arguments that pop up on here all time are complete rubbish. There might have been a case for it 30+ years ago but now, the public service is open and for many, it’s just a part of their working career

• Registered Users Posts: 26,249 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jesus, 40k on the new pension?

That would mean, you'd need to be an PO or higher for alot of your career.

(Using the Single Scheme calculator to estimate)

• Advertisement

Im not civil service but yep, I jumped very young to a job with an equivalent pay scale alright. I just need to do it for another 35+ years or so.

I can’t complain about the pension. It’s fine for me and I vote accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

Average upper management mentality, I got mine so if you're a CO, EO or even a HEO hard luck enjoy living off scraps when you're a pensioner LOL

I don’t manage anyone. I started in my job aged 27. There’s no “I got mine” mentality. There’s no “pulling up the ladder behind me”, it’s in the exact same place it was. The pension is identical today as it was when I started.

I don’t concern myself with COs, HEOs or any of that because I’m not a civil servant. The terms are largely meaningless to me.

my point was that the gutting of the pension doesn’t impact my mentality on deals. I joined after it happened. I still will retire with a decent pension, * I * can’t complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

A PO salary at 27 and you don't have to manage anyone - the dream! Are you hiring? :) think there is probably jealousy on this thread bren, ignore it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

AHCPS approval 97 4% in favour, which is higher than I expected tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 26,249 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Absolutely Bren, ignore that nonsense post.

In other news AHCPS result is in.

97% for.

This is going to be the most supported ps pay deal that's ever been voted on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

"I can only view it through my own lens". . . Says it all really. Nearing retirement and looking after number 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

So he's a post 2011 entry? lol.

Some people cannot be saved.

The only people who could be happy with this deal are people who don't understand mathematics and/or have never heard of inflation. Take a trip to any supermarket. . . the price of food has skyrocketed and, what's more, it's staying at that price. When we hear of inflation is coming down it means it's comng down relative to the large increases which have already occurred.

Advertisement