Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well yes there is that aspect of it. Like car insurance, or house insurance, or health insurance - you hope to never need to claim on it but when you find out you need to, it's too late to go looking to get it then.

Also the income continuance is like a pair of handcuffs once you get to middle age, you leave it at your peril. Especially on class B PRSI - the prospect of spending many years on pension rate of pay with no s/w entitlement is terrifying

Proper order - otherwise it just encourages freeloading. Imagine buying that house insurance policy the day after it burned down, and being allowed claim...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Augme

This is interesting. I have heard a Union member tell someone who landed themselves in a spot of bother to join the Union and they'd help. Surprised Unions wouldn't use that as an good reason to attract a new member tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The letter states that Unite management were not unanimous in recommending acceptance to members, but it was a majority. Apologies for my mis post.

It would be a terrible reason as people would join when an issue arose and drop it when the issue was resolved.

Happened to a work colleague a few years ago, who was annoyed. They had left a few years ago, rejoined because of an issue and swiftly found out there was no help.

It was one of the first things that was said to me by our branch rep, just so you know, if there is an ongoing issue, we can't and won't get involved. I imagine they were used to people joining when something cropped up so we're just heading it off at the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

When is the next increase due to hit our bank accounts?

• Advertisement

You mean the one that hasn't been voted on yet? 🙄

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Aren't we due an increase from last agreement still?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭bren2001

Based on voting, it will be nearly mid to late March before it is agreed (this is presuming it passes). It will still have to have the paperwork done at a Union level, inter Union level and then governmental level, so that is April time. Then the calculations will begin so it will be May before it is even flagged locally. So best case scenario, end of May but I wouldn't hold my breath that it would be the end of June before it hits bank accounts.

They’re meeting on March 25th. It won’t be before that.

May or June paycheck makes sense to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭_H80_GHT

You'd have to wonder ones level of competency in their job if they believe the last pay agreement is yet to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vologda69

I worked in 3rd level sector once...wasnt a union member. Lost my case at WRC after paying a solicitor. Union saw the merits of my case and agreed to take it on. Later won the case at the Labour Court.

They presumably thought it would be a precendent for a significant number of their members - and it seemed to work out well in that regard. In effect, nothing to do with you.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭aidan364

Email from Forsa this morning which indicated that turnout isn't in line with recent polls but the result so far is in line with previous polls. Turnout must be quite low if they're reaching out. I don't recall anything similar in other years

As we approach the deadline, it has come to our attention that the turnout across some of our branches is currently below that of other branches. While the overall ballot return aligns with previous years, we believe that a collective effort is essential to ensure everyone's voice is heard.

Despite the convenience of the electronic ballot and the forthcoming head office email reminders, it is important that we continue with peer-to-peer encouragement. Therefore, we are reaching out to all branches and workplace representatives, including yourself, to actively encourage your members across various departments to cast their vote

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

is there a sense if turnout is low it will undermine the mandate even if it is passed and make the unions look weak, and reduce their power in the next round of talks?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Grey123

Apologies for the basic question...

How do pay scales and the increases align.

Will each of the below steps increase by the proposed percentages?

How do you move each step? One a year? Any conditions?

It's a local authority position.

Technician grade I

45,189 – 45,913 – 46,858 – 47,807 – 48,735 – 49,679 – 50,539 – LSI 1 52,149 – LSI 2 – 53,781

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Ciaran

the turnout across some of our branches is currently below that of other branches

So not all branches have identical turnouts? Not particularly meaningful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I presume they mean in % terms - maybe union reps / officials have targets for turnout in their branches to show engagement and prove they are doing a decent job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

An increment each year until you get to the LSI ones, in which cases it'll be after three years and then another three years (generally).

They'll increase by the proposed percentages but some of conditions are things like 1% increase or €500, whatever is greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The ballots are irrelevant as the unions will just sign up anyway.

Remember when the INTO opposed one deal and they just signed up. No further ballot was held.

• Advertisement

Given it's electronic I wonder can they see the votes cast while the poll is still open (all sorts of questions about how the vote can have any integrity, if so)

but Forsa HQ are definitely spooked judging by the tone of their last email.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

Didnt FORSA survey its members last year regarding pay deals - and the vast majority wanted FORSA to seek pay increases that at least matched the increases on cost of living/inflation? ........ and yet here they are months later recommending another pay deal that essentially locks in REAL pay cuts - wouldnt be surprised if a decent no vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

People will be more likely to not bother voting than take the time to vote no. They'll just assume it's going through no matter their vote, so why bother.

That's the feeling I get from the, somewhat, desperate sounding mails asking us to get colleagues to vote. The return must be way below what they were expecting

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭doc22

My impression is the no vote is more than the expected and want members to vote yes "The choice is the proposed pay increases - or a return to the drawing board and potentially lengthy industrial action"

They wouldn’t be allowed open or look at the ballots until it’s closed. If they opened anything before the voting period was over it compromises the entire process.

Touchingly naive 😀

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

If you’re referring to my post, I happen to know SIPTU open them in one go. I was hired to count them before. Unless you’re suggesting they put them all back in envelopes for me to open again?

The process has to be auditable. TUI send them to PWC or something.

It’s tin foil hat theory to suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭skidmarkoner

They are talking about electronic voting, you can have access to the results of a poll while it is on going.

• Advertisement

With online voting, the results are locked until it closes.

It entirely compromises the process if anyone can see the results before voting is over.

Its a really standard procedure.

Advertisement