Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Kenny didnt have the players but the GAA games I watch are of the stronger counties and they have the players but in my opinion we arent getting to see how good they really are because of 30 players in one half, no space.

I dont have 1 team that I support in GAA, I watch whatever GAA games are on RTE. I suppose Mayo would be the team I would like to see win the most.

why do you think Jim Gavin (the best GAA manager in the last 20 years) is being drafted in to improve the game, to make it easier to watch?

They arent doing that for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I find that an odd premise as the key to Donegal's success was possession football relying heavily on the handpass, forcing Dublin to engage and Donegal winning the turnover and breaking.

Here is a (surprisingly good) piece of tactical analysis from Joe Brolly on Donegal's system written on the 16th September 2014 after that 2014 match. It was from the vantage point of the Davin/Canal end I mentioned earlier where you can see the positioning of the players.

"Donegal's is a style of play that has a smothering effect on the opposition; an operation where all involved know exactly what they are doing as the route to goal is shut off and the counter-attack is characterised by hard running."

"The process was evolving and in 2012, Donegal, as a force, were more purposeful in attack. The county's 20-year wait for an All-Ireland title was at an end."

"Two years on, we wondered whether Jimmy's system could still reap dividends? It did to telling effect against Dublin three weeks ago."

"Of course, the narrative would have been different if Dublin had converted two decent goal chances in the first half. How would the master plan have worked if Donegal were facing a substantial scoring difference after 20 minutes?"

"One can only wonder, but the Ulster side eventually went on to gain a crucial foothold in the semi-final clash."

--

In my opinion game was less about hand pass v kick pass but one teams tactical system of play which was superior on the day. The objective was not to allow Dublin possession in danger areas, force Dublin to take shots from range (which are unsustainable), win back possession keep the ball and break quickly.

It was a question of kick passing = good. handpassing = bad. That is a childish premise in my view and shows limited tactical analysis of what happens in games.

If anything the 2014 game proved that handpassing when done correctly, mixed with a running game, aimed to counter it is very effective against teams who just want to attack with no real plan.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,158 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Is this some bizarre alternate reality where the 2000's didn't happen?

Tyrone were winning All-Irelands with that model while McGuinness was still in Jordanstown, just what do you think "puke football" was? That swarm defense, where do you think the numbers for it came from?

Everybody defending in packs and breaking forward in packs pre-dates McGuinness by a long, long way. I'm not being snarky, I genuinely have to assume you missed entire decades of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ironically, the Gavin initiative is being informed by statistics. People actually counted handpasses and other aspects of the play. But like I said before, he can't come up with some of the radical proposals seen on this thread. Because the players won't stand for that sort of interference with they way they want to play the game. Burns is already showing himself as being someone who will pass on decisions on stuff like this to others like Gavin. Which I would do as well if I knew I was in a job which is going to last only three years.

The stats do show an increase in hand passes, but they were still a significant element of the game in the past. One very positive stat is how much longer the ball is in play in the modern game. Must be due to a lot of kick passes going over the sideline in the past, and shots from distance going wide, with the delays that follow. Possession play keeps the ball in the field of play much longer.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2023/0928/1407954-new-study-outlines-stark-extent-of-possession-football/

"The average number of hand passes per game has increased from 251 in 2011 to 421 in this year's (2023) championship. Despite the increase in hand passing, there has not been a comparable slide in foot passing. While kicking was on the decrease from 2011 to 2018, it has started to level off at approximately 130 passes per game."

"The ball was in play for an average of 34 minutes in the 2011 season and now stands at 45 minutes, 30 seconds, a 32% increase over 13 seasons."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You don't seem to realise that the good sides don't keep players behind the ball for the sake of it the good sides break and move. It is the sides that have limited players that invariably produce the poor games.

But teams should play to their strengths Ireland should be more direct in the soccer IMO - quick ball (not hoofing it). Dublin football suits a high pressing interchange type game, because of the pace of Con O'Callaghan, Basquel, McCaffery, Murchan.

Derry's style suits a slow possession style in defence because they have a strong midfield and a strong full forward. They actually prefer to win the back from oppoents when they attack. Because with their power they can break quickly. Keeping the ball for Derry also saves their energy I have yet to see Conor Glass tire in a game.

You do realise that Jim Gavin was manager of the Dublin team in 2014 and that loss to McGuinness forced him to change style. Culminating in the utter dismantling of Tyrone who sat back being hard to break down in the 2019 AI Semi-Final.

--

Maybe someone can put me right, but was there any league game so far where all 30 players were back in one half constantly?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

In the preview in the programme Meath v Louth, the commentator wrote this:

"Ger Brennan has been very vocal in his opinion that a goalkeeper's main role is to be at home minding the house, and under his stewardship to date Louth have reverted to having a more traditional type of goalkeeper in the side in comparison to how the side operated under the reign of Mickey Harte, when players more noted for their outfield abilities lined out between the sticks. Niall McDonnell from the St Fechins club has come in this season and was in superlative form against Cork, and to further illustrate that Louth have reverted to traditional type in terms of goalkeepers, Craig Lynch has returned to the panel in recent weeks after being away from the inter-county scene in the past couple of years."

Indeed the Louth keeper did mostly stay at home in the Navan game. Whereas the Meath keeper played the modern role. But whatever learnings / takeaways * Brennan got from that defeat for Louth, in the Ardee game v Cavan, the keeper spent a lot of his time up the field, and well into the oppositon half. You can't believe half of what you read these days.

*Apologies to gormdubhgorm for the "learnings". I must be some sort of misfit who enjoys seeing innovations in language useage, as well as in football😃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I'm lovin the GAA football these days. Had great time last year with the new format, and all of the additional games. Can't wait for Saturday evening to head to MAcHale PArk in Castlebar and shouting on Mayo to get a bit of revenge for last years Championship defeat to Roscommon. I'll record the other matches that are on TV, and watch them intermittingly over the weekend when I get a chance. I couldn't care less if there are 50 hand passes in a row. I just get a buzz from the excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Some lad on the Sports News this morning talking about 'Possessional Football' and 'Transitional Football'. I was puzzled as I thought they were discussing Gaelic Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,095 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

*Apologies to gormdubhgorm for the "learnings". I must be some sort of misfit who enjoys seeing innovations in language useage, as well as in football

You are not wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 CiansBall

Change the name to handball and we'll all be happy.

It's a horrific watch these days. There was a clip of some goal scored last weekend, it was all handpasses right in to the goal until the last bit where the handpass went astray or was blocked or something and then the forward kicked it into the empty net.

Ah yes, the beauty of gaelic football.....can imagine the kids at home replicating Aidan O'Shea or Ciaran Kilkenny with their ball hand passing it back off the wall. No kicking allowed, too risky these days.

That stuff with the wall would be good traning for GAA Handball, which uses courts with walls. Probably not so much for the other Handball which is a bit like basketball, but with goals and goalkeepers instead of hoops. Either way, you can't rename GAA football into Handball, even if that would make you happy. There are plenty of training routines for GAA footballers to hone their hand passing techniques, without using walls. Keep watching the fooball if you can abide the horror.

Good call CB …. Saying it as it is…..ignore the dudes with the abacuses out and the stats book in their árse pockets.

I don't know whether to take this story seriously. Marty Clarke to return to county football with Down as a goalkeeper, in the sweeper keeper mode. The goalkeeper position is certainly becoming more important in modern football. I can't see the players taking any diktats from on high trying to force them to revert to old norms.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0305/1436053-clarke-in-line-for-shock-down-return-as-a-goalkeeper/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭crusd

Lots of missing the point here on why hand passing has become so prevalent. Its because of massed defences. Kicking aimlessly into a scoring zone crowded with 28 players it what some seem to want to see instead. Space is whats needed not elimination of the handpass. Increasingly I am thinking 13-a-side should be trialled. At least at inter county.

Nobody wants to see anyone "kicking aimlessly" crusty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭randd1

The two GAA sports have a serious problem with the way the games are being played, namely the obsession with possession, as it leads to some god-awful practices in both codes.

In football, you have the excessive hand-passing over and back, the fear of shooting from outside the 30 yard line, the negative mass defences, the almost extinct nature of the 1v1 battles. For every good game of football, you have 3 or 4 that are just turgid, there's too many football team that simply just play an awful brand of the game that leads to too many bad games.

But at least football admits there's problems and is trying to sort itself out, trying different rules, different formats, even if they don't work out.

Hurling has no such self-awareness, it's pure head up your own ar*e territory at this stage with hurling, and the problem with sticking your head up your ar*e for so long is eventually you get sh*t for brains, which is the case with hurling. You can't be an inter-county hurler these days without being a rampant cheat. Between the constant throwing, the steps, the barging, the pulling/dragging, the tactical fouling committed by players, you can't play the game these days without having to resort to some form of cheating to get by. How a sport approach 100 stoppages a game meaning around only 2/5 of the match is actual ball in play can considered to have flow is beyond me. And in order for the sport to have it's "flow", the referee has to turn a bling eye to 50/60 blatant throws a game, at least 70/80 pulls/drags a game from minor to major attempts, at 70/80 offences in terms of steps. Any sport that requires an official to ignore 200 indiscretions a game is hardly indicative of a sport in a healthy place. Never mind outside of the Munster Championship and All-Ireland series, there's virtually no real competitiveness in the sport at all. And to top it off, hurling people tend to get apoplectic when the refs (shock/horror) apply the rules, and claim the sport is being ruined.

I'd argue with the way things are going, football will hit upon a way that makes the game much more easier to play and much more entertaining (something like designated forwards to open up the field a bit), and when that happens it'll kill off hurling, simply because football, for all it's ills, it at least trying to improve compared to hurling.

But the sports away with it somewhat at the minute because the good stuff is so good it masks the bad which allows them still to be still entertaining (that holds more true in hurling which for it's disastrous attempts at self-sabotage through piety and arrogance is still outrageous in it's brilliance and entertainment at times) . And for some, as long as it's entertaining, everything is fine (again, holds more true in hurling). The sports have real problems, but because we have an entertaining highlights reel, the problems don't get addressed.

And the biggest problem that both codes need to be addressed in the possession at all costs philosophy in both codes, which while it might be smarter use of the ball (at least if the use of the ball is legal), is taking some of the contest and unpredictability out of the sports and replacing them with monotonous routine, most notably in football's passages of just hand-passing and hurling stop every twenty seconds form of playing. We need rules that force teams to play the games more honestly and create a bit of chaos in a possession dominated sport that strips the monotony from them.

And I reckon if they did, we'd have not only both sports in a much better place, but ones that are much more entertaining as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Treble double

Finally a sensible and honest post. What is killing both codes as a spectacle ironically enough is the proffesional approach to physical and tactical preparation of teams. When teams trained twice a week and played a game at the weekend as proper amateurs do, there was less cynicism and games were more random without coached induced patterns, that day is gone and if there is an appetite for it the only way to stop the cult of the coach is to reduce the amount of time teams are allowed to train, I doubt there is an appetite for this. I don't like the massive gym bunny builds inter county hurlers seem to need now, they are like rugby players probably getting up in the middle of the night to eat to keep the condition on. Hurling was a game of skill played by hardy fit lads now it has turned into a game of rucks played by muscle bound robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,997 ✭✭✭✭event

You cant have players playing 15 a side at club and then 13 a side at county.

But if restrictions on handpassing were introduced and nothing was done to free up space that is what would happen. And the rewards for ultra defensive tactics would increase

• Advertisement

All my posts are honest. That post is a repetition of what was posted plenty of times before. And because it introduced hurling into a discussion about football it is too long, and I found it hard to pick out the bits about football.

You would see more kicking for a purpose.

As you should have see if you had time to read this thread, my opinion is that the handpass and its excesses have seriously diminished the game.

Kicking a football “aimlessly” is kicking i o ver the side,line, trying to find a teammate with a kick is not “kicking aimlessly”.

Lofting a ball into the square is not “kicking aimlessly “ its giving your attackers a chance to gain possession in a dangerous zone.

This business of both sets of players trundling back and forth after 20 or 30 handpasses is for the birds.

I see your point and it’s a valid one but I take issue with “kicking aimlessly”.

Mass defences want attacking teams to kick the ball in. Aimless or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

Yet another enjoyable weekend of football.

But something something 37 handpasses in a row yada yada all defending etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

if you took the hand pass away you would see a massive decrease in blanket defenses , defenders would be under pressure straight away in possession and would have no choice but to kick the ball away , it also would be a worthless exercise trying to work the ball up the field via kick passing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,158 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Forcing a kickpass into a massed defence is the very opposite of kicking for a purpose.

Forcing players to kick when nobody is free is the very opposite of kicking for a purpose.

If you want the GAA to embrace the bugger factor and introduce a randomness into attacking play then say that, but launching a long ball and hoping the break falls your way is nothing to do with "purpose".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

That's a bit of a nonsense argument as if you're kicking long and therefore transferring the ball at speed there needs to be forwards there to receive it. Being that you can't be in two places at once there couldn't be a massed defence as you need forwards coming back to create a massed defence in the first place. Quick transitions would therefore necessitate that forwards stay forward and by extension the backs who mark them must also stay close by which stretches the field significantly.

I personally can't see any justification for not limiting the handpasses to two in a row.

A lot of this weekends football was rubbish… let’s call a spade a spade.

I watched the Ros/ Kerry game on Tv. Dull as ditchwater…. You could hear the crowd talking.

Anyone who thinks this is a good product is not being honest, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I doubt I will go to a Gaelic football game this year. I will wait until they make the changes needed to go back, if that is a few years then so be it. I probably wont even watch games on tv anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement