Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options
  • 06-03-2023 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭

Was watching bits from a few games over the weekend. 15 players behind the ball, balls going backwards, the mark is awful, goalkeepers playing as outfield players, the basic arts non existent like the tackling is shocking these days, the list is endless. Would it not be a lot better if it was like the old days? 1 player against another player? Roscommon's second goal v Mayo was a great move and goal but it was an unusual goal to see these days because there usually isn't any space close in to the goals to get a goal lie that these days. The footballers are probably better than 20 years ago apart from the tackling but they are wasted with the way football is played now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I watched Kerry vs Tyrone for 5 minutes yesterday and just turned it off... it was dreadful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

ye dont understand the game - that all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Because like it or not, possession is everything now. The days of 14 one v one tussles, catch and kick, are over. Gaa players (and fans) would never admit it, but they'd prefer to win an ugly game than lose a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Treble double

Give me an example of a field sport that is great to watch as a neutral if you have no dog in the fight. I want to hear about this sport so that Gaelic Footbal can strive to attain its status.

Gaelic Football is always being bashed, ya if you are looking as a neutral at leauge games in March and expecting to be entertained you are going to be sorely disappointed.

But then again I watched some of the Dublin Mayo and Dublin Kerry knockout championship games in the last decade and they were probably some of the best games of football ever played and up there with any sport for entertainment value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

• Advertisement

Golf? because if you mean hurling you are having a laugh.

golf is terrible to watch, 95% of the time, it better to play

Hurling, like a lot of skillful attacking sports can end up lopsided, but feck it, you get some crackers

everyone knows hurling is a much better sport to watch than football

I totally disagree, if you paid me I wouldn't watch a hurling leauge game, I'd watch an odd championship game but all I see is groups of lads poking sticks trying to get a ball out of a pile of bodies before the referee decides to throw the ball in before they do it all over again.

Or else somebody lamps a ball you may or may not be able to see from their own half over the bar, I think.it is a seriously flawed sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Just from memory and looking back at random records, the modern game seems to produce more high scoring matches. Probably due to the fact that teams retain possession, instead of kicking long 50/50 balls. So in the overall that could hardly be judged as a negative thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭1373

Would watch a junior club football sooner than most county teams . That said I'd happily watch dublin v kerry v mayo v Galway. They play good attacking football

• Advertisement

that's a serious skill

plucking out of the air, hitting it over yer shoulder

the sideline cut, the list goes on

its all out attack, football is all out defense

the real problem with both sports is that neither seem to have a definition of a tackle, basically it just descends to chaos and the ref blows up

anyway, rugby is a far better sport to watch than either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Good point

People will happily watch premier league soccer every week, but wont ever watch a game from the Dutch league or French or even League of Ireland.

I think the bigger problem in the football - as a spectacle - is that not enough teams are consistently excellent - you have Dublin, Kerry, Mayo.....and then a cohort that can be good for a year and then drop back. The pool of top teams is too narrow. In the past 12 years, you've had 8 all ireland final appearances for Dublin, 6 each for Mayo and Kerry. Nobody else has really been at the races, consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

14 players behind the ball is brutal, toxic tactics but it’s working for lesser teams. Toxic football in terms of entertainment.

other greatest problem currently and one favoured by lesser lights is toxic physicality / fouling that’s really showing up and the endemically piss standard of refereeing now at intercounty level… sick of it, every game you watch.

lots of high / seatbelt style tackling up around the chest and throat… pulling jerseys too is now a tactical strategy…. a complete lottery as to whether a referee awards a foul or no foul, yellow or no yellow, red or no red…. Depending…

Attempting to dislodge a ball and disposes a player… it’s seemingly ok now to go in throwing a closed fist in towards the player and ball, missing the ball, hitting a player in the arms and chest….if you don’t dispossess them you are slowing them down by virtue of the strikes….

back in the day Pat Spillane felt he had to apologise for the use of the term ‘puke football’…. But in fairness looking back, maybe he could see what was coming. What the game might be evolving into….

now it’s not one county it’s and it’s endemic puke inducing thuggery….. we don’t have intelligent enough or good enough referees to manage the situation… to deter continuous tactical foul play, to sanction properly dangerous high tackles… to even recognise and blow for fouls in some cases. That refereeing shît show of a performance in Derry was a fine example….

almost as if someone in HQ decided that they want more physicality in the sport…more competitive games and if violence and thuggery to even it up, ahead of improving skills and fitness levels, so be it…

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Fully agree with OP. I was a steward in croker for almost 20 years on and off. Lucky enough to witness some sublime matches, fielding that would slot nicely into ozy rules and proper ballers allowed by management to foot pass. Watched Dublin v Derry last night and it was absolutely muck. As the panel pointed out after the refs are so inconsistent giving frees we now have in every single game dives become the norm. Its not the game we love but once it creeps in it won't be changed without hefty rule changes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's less kicking in case of losing possession and more hand passes. Sometimes I'm wondering am I watching basketball. It's turning into an awful spectacle and hurling is following suit. Hand passes galore and 5or 6 players trying to scoop up the ball. Balls being thrown aswell and the ref can't spot it. Long range points with a lighter slioter. Bring back the old days where you had to work harder for your scores and there wasn't as much tip tap hurling. In saying that though I still love the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just don't watch Football anymore and don't miss it. Its a brutal sport now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

I wonder would football be better served with 1) reducing teams to 13 per side or 2) setting up the field that once you go past your own 45 and once again the opposition 45, the ball cannot go backwards.

The 13 a side would obviously see more space on the field opening it up for more attacking play, while the "can't go back" situation would either encourage teams to attack quickly or press the opposition who can't go backwards forcing them to play it for a score.

I wouldn't mind seeing the "can't go backwards" tried out in the pre-season games just once to see would it be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sort out the fouling…reduce players on the pitch by more precise and error free refereeing which sanctions bad fouling and repeat fouling with something more then a whistle being blown… yellow, black and red is a reminder for these lot of appalling, unfit, unable, unwilling and unsporting referees… they are fücking beyond awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

More work for referees and more scope for them to be abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm very glad I looked into this thread. Personally I don't watch any sports on the TV. The best way to participate is to play IMO (although I'll freely admit I've no interest in team sports anyway)

Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out when listening to people discussing the latest sportsball match between generic team A and generic team B

This thread has reassured me that I'm not missing anything and I'll continue to not watch sports 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

sure get rid of them all together so, a blight on the game

Gaelic football is fine. The days of lash it up the pitch and hope your nearest team mate wins his individual dual are long in the past. It's actually incredible how it took well over 100 years for teams to take a more tactical approach.

Very often it's compared to hurling which is ridiculous - hurling has also drastically changed but the difference is putting 15 men behing the ball in football is effective whereas in hurling you can still do that but it won't work as a good team can still pick off 25+ points from distance. Offaly played 2 sweepers once against Galway and I think Galway still registered 0-33 or something. Hurling v football comparisons are nonsense, the two sports are just too different.

Playing is more enjoyable for sure, but people watch it for the sublime skills that well most aren't going to replicate themselves

whatever about TV, going to live sport is something else though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Bring in a half pitch rule like basketballs half court rule, once you bring the ball over the half it can’t go back over or you forfeit possession.

Must keep a minimum of 3 players in your own and the the opposition half at all times.

Bring in a shot clock if needs must. Bring in a half way line clock if needs be.

Plenty of ways to counter 15 man possession passing and full team defending in your own half without reinventing the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It is such a pity, 1 v 1 was far better to watch. If you showed 99% of games to someone who never saw the game before, I dont think it would interest them.

I agree, them teams do play good football the odd time but only in Croke park where there is loads of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I got out of the habit of going to games at the weekends during covid, in favour of spending the time outdoors or visiting friends and I ditched the telly cos I'm buggered if I'm paying a license fee to RTE. Both of which means I've seen very little football this year or last. What I notice when I see a "highlight" on social media, is that it's muck. Dublin throwing the ball the ball to next guy as soon as they catch it resulting in ten handpasses and a kicked point. It's like rubgy without the forward pass rule. Brutal stuff.

Make it illegal to recieve a hand pass with your hand to force the buggers to actually use their feet.

Most games these days is just like a backs v forwards game in training.

Imagine the goalkeeper coming out of the goal in soccer, it would be crazy and its just as crazy in gaelic football and looks stupid.

soccer is a game a neutral could happily watch by the way.

• Advertisement

They need to make a lot of rule changes in my opinion, like a player gets the ball and is surrounded by maybe 4 players, the player with the ball cant do anything so its a free against him, thats unfair, it should be 2 players at most allowed tackle you, not 4 or 5.

A friend was at Derry v Galway last year, seeing as the Derry goalkeeper kept coming out with the ball, at one stage he said there was 30 players in 1 half. 🤮

I just don't understand why the fans keep paying good money to go watch the matches, anyone any idea why they do?

Advertisement