Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

There’s no doubt pg, that changes need to be made to make the game a vibrant skillful exciting event it could be.

Watching games, not all, but way too many ,with players trundling back and forth between the 45 metre areas via numerous hand passes is

not a good product.

I will continue to watch more in trepidation than hope of the odd half decent game .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

There is no way the GAA are getting my money until it changes, im not paying for rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

I'm sure it won't prevent you from countless moaning about it every week here though!!

Why shouldn’t he say it as it is,buddy?

This stuff has to brought into the open, the vested interests in the game won’t rock the boat, they want to keep the status quo

and their little fifedoms going.

The paying customer is sick of this rubbish being the lynchpin of most setups.

Very few if any decent teams out there now.

Jarlath needs to act quickly…..

Because I love the game, but not what it is now and I hate to see talented players not being able to showcase those talents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,976 ✭✭✭✭event

But if you dont watch the games, how will you be able to criticize and say they arent good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭crusd

Not sure what point you are trying to make here.

Decreasing blanket defences through making it more difficult for the team in possession to maintain possession. Surely eliminating handpassing encourages team to drop deep even more than they do now. 15 men inside the 45 and trust your defenders to win the breaking ball through superior numbers when punted in.

The reason teams hand pass over and back is to try to draw a defender out of position to create space inside. With no option to handpass the defenders know that waiting back is the percentage play. Overuse of the handpass is a consequence of blanket defences not the cause of it

why would I want to criticize and say they arent good enough? I have never said that, I just hate the way the game is played now, im not saying the players arent good, they are but they are forced to play 30 players in 1 half rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭crusd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There are more scores in matches and fewer wides now compared to the old style. Also the ball stays in play for longer, averaged over the course of hundreds of games. I don't know the numbers, but I expect a big majority are scores by kicking. So no need to worry about that skill.

Out the field there is no need to use the kick pass as much. Because another fundamental skill of the game, the hand pass, is often more appropriate when retention of possession is the object. And that is crucial in making more scoring chances. The players have given their verdict on the attempt to restrict the hand pass. A resounding NO.

If the game morphed into 100 hand passes before a kick from 5 yards over the bar, the die hards would still say there is no problem with the game.

There are far less exciting incidences of goalmouth action and outfield competition.

If the players and the those who run the GAA can’t see that they will be playing before Covid crowds down the line.

Its like watching paint dry for the most part…

Watching 37 or 40 handpasses before a kick score is attempted from 20 metres out is not my idea of entertainment.

Sooner the vested interests realise this the better ,and take away the notebooks and figure persons out of the equation.

Its those who are strangling our game.

I enjoy watching the games. Counting handpasses is not my idea of entertainment either.

Yeah…..as you said yourself..bit of a misfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Acorn 737

A properly played game of football played by properly skilled players is one of the best spectacles anyone could ever see. I’m not talking about the chest beating get it done even if it’s ugly type of inter county stuff you see nowadays the best games by far are the club games, they’re still playing to win but there’s more scope for the players to show their real skills, and they’re also more used to playing with their club than with their county team, so the teamwork is generally much better and more free flowing. Strangely enough it’s the sort of game where a bunch of Under 14 girls can put on a display that would rival any men’s All Ireland final. So if you want to see real football go to pretty much any club fixture, age or gender is irrelevant.

Lookit, the Rugby people have acknowledged that their game needs to be more exciting to watch and are considering changes to achieve this.

Thats the kind openness needed in the GAA.

I would hope Jarlath would bring clearer thinking and action to the Association and see what most football people are seeing.

Time is running out………

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

No it doesn't, if a team couldn't work the ball out of defense it would make them push players up the field if they withdrew all 15 behind the ball how the hell would they manage to launch an attack up field without hand passing

• Advertisement

I often wonder how they did it before all this crap sprung up.

The game is seriously boring as played right now….. Jarlath needs to grab the tiller… rapido.

Louth scored 6-17 against Fermanagh, and they only had 3 wides (1 in the first half). Fermanagh had 8 wides, but also just 1 in the first half. The local paper did not report on how many hand passes there were.

This is what is bringing the crowds to football in increasing numbers. Inventive play to retain possession against hardworking defences, leading to more scores and less wasteful kicking the ball away. An example of wasteful kicking the ball away was Darren Hughes for Monaghan against Tyrone, which gave Tyrone a goal 10 seconds later. He should have retained possession, even if it meant doing the rugby tactic of passing the ball backwards.

Pure rubbish, and you know it.

Get out your stats book and tell us when last a senior county team in a national comp. scored 6.17.

Look at the results in the Tailteann Cup 2023.

How many were at the game ..3 persons and a dog.

It was a double header, with 17,500 in attendance.

Laois just came to spectate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Anyone who was in Croke Park today will have seen a team play fast direct exciting football the way it is meant to be played and that team scored 5-18 in the process.

That was a much better spectacle than the ping-pong hurling we have seen of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Treble double

Whatever about the merits of football or hurling as spectacles, the difference in physical builds in both codes now is stark. Hurlers are built like tanks now more akin to backs in rugby to reflect a game that requires short bursts of intensity with lots of breaks in play and size also needed for wrestling with opponents in rucks for ground possession. I would estimate that an average passage of play in hurling lasts less than 30 seconds and the fact that scores are commonplace from halfway and longer, less aerobic endurance is required and more power based explosives athletes are necessary. Footballers are not as built up as hurlers and cant afford to be as they need more aerobic endurance and can't afford to carry that bulk. They are highly conditioned but with more endurance as the passages of play last alot longer and they are required to cover every blade of grass on the field and the scoring zone is much smaller. They days of the dual player are gone but nowadays at county level it would be impossible anyway as you would need to be conditioned totally differently for both codes.

• Advertisement

We have two of the best three or four teams in the country in the The League Final now..

It will be interesting to see what kind of a game they serve up.

I watched the Galway Kerry game on tv …..apart from after the Galway goal ,a borefest………… Pulling and dragging, numerous non productive hand passing episodes, charging with the ball and very little exciting play.

Very poor spectator product.

Advertisement