Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'll say no to a united ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭moon2

Tbh, you're asking all the wrong questions and restricting the discourse to such a narrow area that it effectively becomes meaningless.

You are also very clearly and visibly ignoring all contributing factors and events that go against your personal, and preferred world view, and instead hyper focus on a highly select subset of events as if that produces a meaningful answer.

The way you phrased the question demonstrates you are not open to new information, or even any information, from discussion in the forum. You haven't internalized any of the last few dozen posts of contributing facts and events.

To disentangle decades of history and state, with full certainty, "the IRA accomplished this", would be to second guess all the events and assume they would not have occurred if the IRA didn't exist. This question is a disingenuous trap.

So, I'll take a gamble - I'd suggest a key accomplishment of the pIRA was the earlier dismantling of the sectarian state which treated Catholics as second class citizens. A key failure was that they did not produce a 32 county state. A key accomplishment is they they effectively disbanded after achieving the next best thing - a legally binding text which outlines a legally binding path to their preferred 32 county state.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭droidman123

How can you possibly know you have read more history books than miniegg? How can you make such a sweeping statement?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Miniegg

Why are you telling me how many history books you read? The post wasn't addressed to you. Suspect.

I'm delighted you like cherry picking pieces of (unverified) info from history books, but you fail to account for how food was distributed to people, the rules blocking them from receiving it, and the rules in place that made it necessary for landlords to keep exporting food while mass starvation was occuring. You also give an account of one year, the horse had already bolted by that point.

Potatoes were a staple diet in many European countries (including Britain), and early intervention by governments in those countries who had the welfare of the populace in mind prevented from occurring there what happened in Ireland. Ireland was the outlier. I wonder why that was?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They killed people, that was their achievements and accomplishments, I know that, I understand that, but to me, all of that was for nothing, zero, zilch, not a single decent person's life was improved thanks to the PIRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I agree with you and this is the reason why the famine period was not popular to discuss till the last couple of decades. There was a deal of guilt as many ordinary people both survived and profited from the famine, the haves and the have nots have always been with us. One of the practical consequences was the enlargement of land holdings with fewer people about. And a rural society remembered that hence a level of survivor guilt. But now all you frequently hear is 'genocide'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The rate of progress in dismantling the sectarian state diminished after the PIRA started. The sectarian state was already on the way out, and the 1974 Sunningdale Agreement was the culmination of that. From then until the end of the PIRA campaign, nothing was achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Suckler

That's not the question posed though and you cannot fathom a discussion past "IRA Bad= The troubles summarised". If you wish to limit the depth of the discussion, don't bemoan it going no where.

If you're not going to recognise the opposing side(s) contribution as well as the cause and effect, you point is entirely moot.

Still content with feigning ignorance?

To busy reading all those books I imagine.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭downcow

How do you know they are unionists? Cause a poster a few pages back was saying it was very sad that we knew what shopkeepers, and are we local town were unionist and nationalist.

Seems even the southerners are expert at it

• Advertisement

That isn't what I said if you read my posts, but clearly what I said does "wash", because that is exactly what happened in NI. It happens in countless other places that there is grave injustice against a portion of the populace. It is playing out in Israel now.

Terrified people were pushed into the hands of extremists because they were being severely mistreated by state sanctioned extremists who facilitated injustice and sectarianism. How is this hard to understand? How else would you explain it.

Refusing to admit the situation there highlights your extreme bias and doesn't give you an ounce of moral ground to preach against anyone.

Excellent, someone has been caught with their pants down again

‘Them’, says all we need to know francie. That’s almost the worst label of all.

No, you just cannot (or will not I now believe) see the difference despite it being plainly obvious.

Well, you shouldn’t have got one of your kings to invite them over then, and you would not have had a problem.

And even before that if you had curtailed the Irish slave trade and not brought them over as slaves, you could’ve avoided Christianity as well.

as you make your bed, you lie in it

'Them' as in FAIR??? Whats confusing you now?

E.g. "Did you see Jim and John at the shop" - Ans -"Yes I saw them there"

Should we revise the English language now to suit your frivolity?

They drove people in the north into enclaves, that many generations will not rectify, and they put any chance of a peaceful United Ireland, back generations as well

"They" is that not similar to "Them".....

Nice of you reference the seemingly one sided nature of the troubles.......

Any comment on the first to run to arms being the Unionists??

• Registered Users Posts: 67,091 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The community that brought us gerrymandering of constituencies, discrimination in housing and education and employment and not to mention power sharing on the basis of religion is complaining about people being driven into 'enclaves'? Seriously?

That is absolute nonsense and wishful thinking. The GFA makes the union more secure. If there was no GFA, and there was a majority in Northern Ireland, who wanted a united ireland then it would happen. The only thing that GFA does is make sure that it will not happen until there is that majority, which we all know is not even on the farthest horizon. I wouldn’t trust some governments if we did not have the GFA.

• Advertisement

The only thing that GFA does is make sure that it will not happen until there is that majority,

Which is what the poster stated....a legally binding way. Unlike the previous administrations ethos of sectarianism.

So why have the DUP and TUV been hell bent on destroying the GFA and refused to sign up to it in the first place, if it 'secures' the Union?

Does not compute.

Do people like you not realise that the ultimate blame for this lies at your leadership and generations of the same for near on 100 years. Had they not selectively treated one section of the community with so much indifference (to say the least) and created a stable place to live, a United Ireland would never been tabled in such a meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Which side of the border are you talking about? The minority population ( ie Protestant ) decreased from 10% of the population to 3 % in the Republic of Ireland, where in N. Ireland in the same period the minority population there ( ie Catholic ) increased from 31% to forty something per cent. What does that tell you ? 60 or 80 years ago there were virtually no protestants in the Irish army or Gardai: yet in the early days of even the UDR it was 18% Catholic. There was a huge controversy when a Protestant librarian was appointed in Co. Mayo. DeVelera said, and I paraphrase, if he had one job to offer and two applicants, one protestant and one catholic, he would always give the job to the catholic. In Co. Wexford in the fifties, when a Protestant partner in a mixed marriage insisted the child be brought up Protestant, the local priest arranged for all the Protestant shops in the town to be boycotted.

In all seriousness, where do you think was the more discrimination: where the minority greatly reduced in size or where it increased? The country where people had to learn 2 languages for a public sector job ( one of these languages was / is never used, or extremely seldom outside of school ) ?

Same challenge for you as I gave downcow.

Post a link to a 'history' of NI since partition that doesn't outline the systemic sectarian discrimination in housing employment and education, by the one party statelet in it's first 50 years of existence.

Quite a challenge I would say, to find such a book, but someone so confident in their argument as you must be getting your unique view from somewhere or else you just make stuff up on the hoof.

Can you rise to the challenge?

yet in the early days of even the UDR it was 18% Catholic. 

Until they saw the inherent sectarianism and were hounded out by others within the UDR/UDA down to approx 3%.......This has been discussed before but you're content to continue whilst ignoring it.

Any chance of dealing with you lies yet or still "dunno what I mean"?

Haha, says the man who must be sleeping out in the henhouse with the chickens so as to avoid the bed he made.

In all seriousness, where do you think was the more discrimination: where the minority greatly reduced in size or where it increased? The country where people had to learn 2 languages for a public sector job ( one of these languages was / is never used, or extremely seldom outside of school ) ?

Tell us which one saw violence from it's outset and had to have international pressure applied to stop their in-built sectarianism......which side of the border had a well documented conflict know as 'The Troubles'.....Do you need any more hints as to how utterly stupid your comparison is? Surely all the books you've 'read' would show you the true answer.....

The percentage of Catholics in the UDR decreased when Republicans started murdering UDR men coming out of mass, when they were visiting their elderly parents, putting bombs under their family cars etc etc.

I would take the word of those Catholics and why they left the UDR far sooner than a supporter of the party whose leader may think there was "no alternative" to shooting them in the back when off duty etc.

• Advertisement

Nobody is denying N.Ireland was a cold house for Catholics. But as Gerry Fitt said, it was no excuse for the IRA armed campaigns, such as 1956-1962, or the troubles, both of which ended in failure of their objective of "getting the Brits out". It actually was counter-productive.

Bishop Daly in Derry said the biggest enemy of the Irish people was the IRA.

In all seriousness, where do you think was the more discrimination: where the minority greatly reduced in size or where it increased?

Gerry Fitt had a job in the British merchant navy before he became a politician and founded the SDLP. He came from N.I., and his party got a lot more votes than your SF during the troubles. I would value his opinion more than yours.

Advertisement