Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'll say no to a united ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Suckler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭droidman123

You are conveniently forgetting the evil that the british unleashed on the world

• Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Interesting note over on the RVM recycling cans thread - that someone got beer with logos on it in NI. So they both picked up cheaper due to MU pricing AND can get money back on the cans down south without paying the deposit!

That's a serious win win for traders across the border. If they can acquire stocks of products with return logo and sell it to southerners, it's win, win, win big time. They get loads extra business and we get extra cash back. Whooppeeeee.

A rep of motor fuels in Ireland was predicting similar the other day for petrol & diesel sales. That between scheduled excise duty increases and carbon taxes down south here that there'll be a seriously attractive price differential soon north of the border. God bless the border!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Now you’re being silly again. I have just said in the last post that I believe their stories.

I am challenging the hypocrisy of a poster challenging other posters accounts and stories, and saying that he needs hard facts and researched surveys, but then, when it suits him with regard to his claims about Group being exclusively unionist, he’s happy to use stories

are you finding that difficulty understand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I have never denied that there has been wrong on all sides. But is it unusual that I focus on the biggest killing machine and the one that was aimed at my community?

Would you be surprised if Ukrainians focused on Russian atrocities rather than Ukrainian atrocities?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,286 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They don't claim to be my fellow countrymen. The PIRA have brought shame on all decent Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

Era give back the 26 as you're at it

Re: STORIES.

1 FAIR WEBSITE

Are they people actual victims of republicans in the conflict?

YES

Are they exclusively unionist?

YES

2 Stories/Anecdotes in books.

Are they backed up with facts and figures and verifiable victim names?

NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Francis McM

And the census would show a decline in the Protestant % of the population along the border in N. Ireland.

Sometimes I wonder what planet you are from Francie, I really do. Look at the schools in, for example, Co Fermanagh. AFAIK the only "protestant" ( for want of a better term) secondary school now in Co. Fermanagh is in Enniskillen.

As I said (and i am not sure if you read that or not) , you do not ask someone from those who done or sympathised with the "ethnic cleansing" if there was such a policy or not: you ask the community who suffered: and if you google it, you will see countless reports that many people in Fermanagh and other border counties did think there was intimidation and an attempt at "ethnic cleansing" along the border. Ask any farmer 2, 5 or 10 miles inside the border and they will tell you of such and such a farm, such and such a farm etc changing hands since the troubles started.

• Advertisement

The two 'studies' (not anecdote) of the data I showed you said there were more complex reasons for a 'marginal' decline in Protestant communities than 'ethnic cleansing'.

Facts of data analysis Francis, not stories from a community intent on depicting themselves as the victims.

We are STILL awaiting back-up and data on your 'only sons' claim.

Did you not say FAIR was unionist or am I mistaken?

May I point out to you that Families Acting for Innocent Relatives (FAIR) is a non-governmental organisation founded in 1998 in Co Armagh, and it describes itself as a "non-sectarian, non-political organisation" that works "in the interests of the innocent victims of terrorism in South Armagh."

And you give out about others labelling?

How do you know the political persuasion of the victims of terrorism / why do you label them all as unionists? If you are a catholic I would say you could be welcome to join if you were a victim. Do not forget there were plenty of catholic victims of the pIRA alone as well. Many would be of the opinion more Catholics were killed by Republicans than there were Catholics killed by the security forces. And there were lots of catholic members of the security forces too killed by the pIRA. Yet you label FAIR as unionist, and do not condemn those who attacked the journalist and called him "an Orange Bastard".

But you think the Catholic established, with Catholic Clergy as trustees, youth club in Downpatrick, is multi-cultural.

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds. It is very difficult to take you utterances seriously, as you lack credibility now.

Ask any farmer 2, 5 or 10 miles inside the border and they will tell you of such and such a farm, such and such a farm etc changing hands since the troubles started....and that some had to be sold as the only son was murdered by the pIRA.

But you do not see intimidation on your own doorstep, you did not even condemn the murder of Billy Fox and the burning of his girlfriends family house, bible etc.

Even though living standards and technology etc have improved so much in most countries in the world in the past 3 or 4 decades, only six in 10 Germans overall see reunification as a success, according to a YouGov survey of 2,034 people. More than eight in 10 people in the former East Germany consider reunification incomplete, even after all these decades, and one in three see it as a failure.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/03/world/europe/east-west-germany-30-anniversary.html

You have no data to back up your claim. End of discussion it seems.

'Go out and ask a farmer...' indeed! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Miniegg

Suppose away.

But again, it is a false equivalence.

Terrorists don't have a duty of care to anyone, they are terrorists.

The British state murdering its own unarmed and innocent people and refusing to prosecute is something else entirely. Do you genuinely not see this?

I struggle to think how this doesn't terrifying every right minded British person.

But of course, if you have the frame of mind that those people deserved it, I can see how it wouldn't bother you too much.

A bit of research for you to conduct re: FAIR being non-political. See what Peter Robinson of the DUP no less, reported them for when Frazer was head of the organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'd highlight that some of the most severe argument on the thread is coming from two people on this side of the border....so hardly a grand sweeping indictment of potential Unification.

If you're waiting for everyone holding hands in a circle singing Kum Bay Ya, well unfortunately the world you want doesn't and will never exist, Blanch.

I think you are- you complain about the source yet in one post yet have to go through has tooth pulling exercise to get to the root of your, essentially, non-issue.

So thats the limits of the discussion - I don't care about the others and their violence, I'm pointing my finger at 'our' problem child only.....Yet you have the temerity to bemoan limited back and forth. You either want to recognise the conflict or you want to revert to your status of "but the IRA, but the IRA".

The IRA could possibly have been ghosts of the past had the civil rights not been met with immediate violence. The first utterance of wanting equality was met with immediate assembly of Unionist militia ready to use violence rather than peaceful discussion....

You question the principle of "violence begets violence" as mundanely as "The had other peaceful options" yet never question the Unionist rush to arms and violence from the outset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

A perfect example of the sort of nonsense being posted by people who don't know the area was the comment on there not being any Protestant secondary schools in Fermanagh outside of Enniskillen.

This is entirely true! Yet while it seems like a huge deal, anyone who actually knows Fermanagh would be aware that there is only one secondary school in the entire county that isn't in Enniskillen.

The one secondary school outside of Enniskillen is a Catholic secondary school doesn't sound quite as shocking as the initial claim though....

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Miniegg

Well in this worry charade, let me fill you in. The British are equivalent to the Russian side, even down to starving the populace - read a history book. And you will find they are by far and away the biggest killing machine this island has ever seen.

Again its convenient for you to draw a line in the sand, and say it was a long time ago or doesn't matter, but the actions and activities of the British here gave rise to the IRA, and are massively to blame in creating the situation your community found itself in.

As I am not British, it really isn't a concern of mine. As an Irish person, I would wish though that the Irish government would follow up on Smithwick and prosecute those in the Gardai who aided subversive organisations, I trust you would support that too.

The schoolyard excuse of "they made me do it" doesn't wash. There was never any justification for what the PIRA did. As they achieved precisely zero, I don't even see why some even try to construct a false justification.

That's not quite accurate either. They never achieved their ultimate end goal, no should they have been allowed to as it would have been rewarding terrorism, however they achieved quite a bit give their number, resources and the response they drew from one of the worlds most powerful.

Huh?

The PIRA achieved precisely zero, unless you count the dead men, women and children as achievements, the lives destroyed by punishment beating and kneecappings as achievements, the economic desolation of Northern Ireland as an achievement etc.

List off the accomplishments of the PIRA, if you can.

There are about 7 secondary schools in Co. Fermangh but there used to be other options for Protestants rather than the one left in Enniskillen.

There are hundreds of books and documents on what a lot of people in the border counties would perceive to be "ethnic cleansing". I am not saying if it was or not, or if it was "attempted ethnic cleansing", but I gave you some of the facts eg:

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/border-trails-show-iras-campaign-of-ethnic-cleansing-1108044

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/ira-campaign-along-border-was-driven-by-murderous-policy-of-ethnic-cleansing/34784399.html

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/education/iras-ethnic-cleansing-of-border-protestants-ken-funston-completes-phd-on-subject-3915877

I have read more history books than you have probably had hot breakfasts. Do not believe everything you were indoctrinated at school about the famine, it is lot more biased than even FrancisBrady's version of the troubles which was much more recent.

The famine was certainly was not deliberate genocide. It was caused by huge population growth in the few generations before that, reliance on one crop, the potato blight etc. Do not forget that even in 1847, statistics show the British imported more food in to Ireland than exported food. In 1847, at the height of the Famine, Ireland exported 39,000 tonnes of wheat, and 98,000 tonnes of oats , and imported 199,000 tonnes of wheat, 12,000 tonnes of oats and 682,000 tonnes of maize. The food imported did not evaporate.

So stop harking back to the famine, it was not as simple as you believe.

Get the books and pluck the data out of them - actual verifiable figures Francis and post them here.

I showed you two studies that analysed the data and came to the conclusion that there was only a marginal decline in protestant numbers for more complex reasons than 'ethnic cleansing'.

Re: your books, there is a reason I didn't post analysis by something like An Phoblacht. You can, I am sure, work out why that would not be trustworthy. Apply that logic to your 'sources'.

• Advertisement

For a small cadre of ill-trained terrorists with limited arms/resources they forced a professional armed force to undertake extremely costly decisions in relation to movement and patrols in a very small area. Even the UK government reports noted them as being  "professional, dedicated, highly skilled and resilient"

Brighton bombing was astounding from the viewpoint of how close they got to killing Thatcher. Do I think it was in anyway admirable, no, Killing Thatcher (despite my opinion of her) would have lit a tinder box of retribution. However when you look at what they carried out, it is astounding for a small group to have gotten so close.

Military attacks on British army bases were reviewed post event and forced them to rethink their strategies. I cant recall which one but I need to look to reverify; A British officer commented on their ability to "Press home" the attack. (I need to reconfirm the wording but its the gist of it)

EDIT 2: Take Warrenpoint - Gen. James Glover Commander of British forces in Northern Ireland, later said it was "arguably the most successful and certainly one of the best planned IRA attacks of the whole campaign". I doubt he used the word 'successful' deriving any admiration for the reasoning behind it but was able to look at it objectively

There's a book on the IRA bombing manufacturing capabilities - "IRA: The Bombs and the bullets" That looks at how a small organisation achieved "the level of deadly improvisation that became the hallmark of the Provisional IRA’s expertise and the ingenuity in its pioneering IED timing, delay and disguise technologies, and follows the arms race it carried on with the British Army"

Do I admire these achievements for the wanton destruction, deaths and prolongation of the conflict - No. The can be looked at objectively, without any green/orange tinting.

The army even conceded that they never beat the IRA, however it did bring them to a stalemate. Not many militant/terrorist organisations get to say that against the might of The British Army.

Edit: Even small things that you wouldn't have seen on the news were due to IRA activity. The checkpoints that we face at times in one locality; The original placing meant there were few alternatives to going through it, local volunteers attacked it a few times and it was moved (they'd placed it near a blind bend so surprise was easy) These were small time populist 'wins' that never get notoriety as no one died, and of the thousands of check points, who's going to report on a few being moved a mile down the road.

Post edited by Suckler on

Advertisement