Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK state pension

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

I got my letter this week confirming that I can pay 17 years at class 2 rate to supplement the 8 years I already have for working in UK between 2001 and 2005.

Posted my application in the middle of May 2023.

My online record hasn't yet updated. In fact, it says my application is still "in progress".

Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

I might be totally wrong, but I have a feeling there is an updated version now and that's whats coming up when you download it.

Where can you see the online records? Is it where you check your pension contributions on the HMRC website??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

That's fantastic, I posted mine in July 2023 so hoping I get my statement shortly....I did call them in Jan 2024 to see what story was and at least they acknowledged receipt (on the phone) of my application. In Jan 2024 they were processing items recieved in Feb 2023 so they must have picked up the pace a bit 😀😀

Yep. There's a "Check Progress" option in the dropdown menu that shows the current status of your application (either "In Progress" or "Completed")

• Advertisement

I presume Peckham is referring (online records) to the section "Check Progress". Peckhams status is saying "Still in Progress", but has received a letter indicating the decision has been made. My status is saying "Completed" but I've heard nothing as yet.

Yep, that's correct. It says In Progress, and all my missing years are showing at the higher rate online, but lower rate in the letter. Guess it will update in the coming weeks. I won't be making the payment until the end of the year anyway.

Hopefully you get your letter shortly.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Hopefully Peckham thanks 😀 (Why am I humming "Ullo John! Got a New Motor!"). 🤣

Meanwhile I helped a colleague apply for Class 2. He was born and rasied in England and told me he worked there. Anyways he got a stinker of a letter basically saying they had no records of him at all in the UK and sending him a letter offering decades of Class 3, which he'd have to pay even before they consider him for a pension. He was always saying he worked cash in hand. I assisited another lad and he had similar situation. I didnt want to delve too much into their personal tax affairs any further than that 🤣 No joy for either I'm afraid. Not a shilling

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

For anyone interested in applying to pay NI, the form is now fully online.

Received my letter today that I have been successful to pay class 2 NICs. I have 4 qualifying years and can now pay for 7 years. Bringing me to a total of 11.

40 years old now so continue to pay for the next 25 or so years. 👍

So £163.80 for the UK and €500 for Ireland to pay. Not bad going I must say. Better than most private pensions returns. But better to still pay into them aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

Would anyone know whether it's worth chancing your arm in applying for Class 2 NICs? I have 12 qualifying years in the UK, but I began working for an Irish operation for around a year before I left the UK. I think that puts me in the class 3 slot, but maybe there's a fudge possible.

If I only qualify for Class 3 NICs, is it still a no brainer to pay in to them? Think it'll cost me something like £18k to bring me up from 12 years to the full allocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

If you stopped working for the UK company and started working for the Irish one. Do you know the date, that's the date you technically left the UK workforce and that's the date I would be using for the application.

In my opinion yes 100%. As a general rule if you have the money and you qualify you should max out your Irish and UK state pension benefits where possible. There is no cheaper way to fund penions.

Simple but rough maths.

Full UK state pension is currently approx. £10,600. Lets just say you could pay all 35 years contribution @ approx £900 per year = £31500

To fund this income in a private pension @4% annuity would cost you approx £265,000! 5% annuity would be £212,000! Convert those numbers in to €.

I appreciate paid NI contribution figures are net of tax. Your private pension contribution are gross of tax (I.e. if you stay within allowed allowances) which would reduce the £265K / £212K figures overall. You can adjust by amt of tax you pay.

At the moment I only qualify for class 3 as I only had 2 years contributions (From 03 to 05). I am now working in UK but will definitely pay class 3 if needs be.

A good answer to my question I asked on the HMRC website a few months ago. Might help someone understand the requirements better.

Hi Rob,

Please see information below, which explains what is meant by ‘immediately before leaving’.

To pay voluntary Class 2 NICs you must meet the following conditions (in addition to those required to pay Class 3 NICs)

• immediately before you last left the United Kingdom (UK), you were ordinarily an employed earner, or a self-employed earner or seeking work (unemployed and claiming benefit counts as ordinarily employed) and

• be either employed or self-employed abroad

When interpreting the wording in the first bullet point we will be looking for a close relationship between your overall employment record in the UK, and the date you went abroad. We will be looking at your history of contributing to the UK Social Security scheme over a period of time.

‘Ordinarily’, in its most literal form means ‘normally’ or ‘most of the time’. So when read in conjunction with ‘immediately before’, we need to consider your employment or self-employment record as a whole in order to establish your work pattern up to the time that you left the UK.

If you are eligible to pay at the class 2 rate, but you have breaks in your employment or self-employment abroad, we would need to know the exact dates of your employment or self-employment, and you would only be eligible to pay at the class 2 rate for the periods you were working. The periods in between would be quoted at the class 3 rate.

You will need to complete the CF83 application form to be considered for either rate. I would suggest you enclose a covering letter providing exact dates of employment / self-employment abroad. The application form can be found on the GOV.UK website by searching for NI38. Please see the following link:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Got my ‘couldn’t find’ NI number back today from the UK. Only took approx 2 months to process after filling in the Form. Gone from UK since 1993 but couldn’t find any records of my NI number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

Maybe a stupid question, but is there any equivalent mechanism currently to buy missing contributions to the Irish system?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

My wife should be able to apply for this, however she's doesn't have any suitable ID with her maiden name on it, so the online ID recognition thing does not work.

Any solutions ?

She's contracted them. Maybe they will accept marriage cert etc etc. But time is passing quickly and I wonder if she'll run out of time to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭beachhead

A BIT LATE WITH THIS POST>GREENGIRL YOU'LL BE DONE AND DUSTED ALREADY with the DWP in the UK.

You will not get the full Irish pension for 10 years working in Ireland.10 yrs is the minimum yrs needed to quality for any payment from the DSP.Averaging 10 years out over 40 years will get you a very small pension.Better to pay the DWP/HMRC to get more years added to your English pension.Do query the Class 3 contribution as Class 2 are a lot lower at about £137 a year as opposed to £800 for Class 3.Pensions wherever you receive them from as classed as PAYE income i.e. fully taxable in the Republic.£20,000 = 25 years added? Retirement age in UK for you could 68+ at today's limits.I think it's 67 from sometime in 2026 Or 68? More info on gov.uk and search state pension

LATE reply-TOO late

The 2 pensions are seperate.If you can pay credits here,do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Is there a limit to how long you need to have worked in the UK?

I held a part time job in Scotland in 1998 for a year and then a full time job in NI for 3 months in 2003.

You need 10 years minimum national insurance contributions under the new pension scheme in the UK.The "new" pension is for people who reach retirement age after April 2016.Not sure of the date in 2016

Just send in the paper form like 95% of us did.

Yes,I would advise anyone who worked in the UK for whatever length of time to apply and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Good point. You only need the online stuff to see your NI contributions. Thanks for that. Appreciate it.

A lot more penny pinching in the Republic from what I've heard and dragging out queries over months/years.

• Advertisement

Yes you can. You should contact the DSP for more info.

Advertisement