Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK state pension

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

Oh wow. You could have a pretty good pension for relatively little(?) money in that case. I was away from Ireland for 12 years so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

This might tell you and others.

Read this letter my wife received recently. She started working later and didn't get the 3 full years like I did. It mention's that if you worked in another EU country that can help count towards the 3 years. So we are going to print off the prsi contributions from here before we went to the UK and see what they come back with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

What kind of pension payments can you expect if you make up say 10 years of contributions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

You'd get 28.5% of the full amount (10 years divided by 35 years), so roughly €75 per week at current rate.

For every additional year of contributions, the weekly amount increases by €7.40.

Note that 10 years is the minimum qualifying level. If you have 9 years of contributions you get nothing.

Post edited by Peckham on

Thanks and how much does it cost to buy 1 years contributions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Call the DSP to find out ---- 071 9157100 in Sligo town.You'll need your PRSI number.They might ask for your employer's name and address

£163 or £900 depending on if you are accepted to pay class 2 or class 3. I presume you are asking for the UK pension.

Yes,not clear whether UK or Ireland.Latest quotes(Feb '24) I'm seeing for Class 2 is £137 and Class 3 £824 in UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

Bear in mind that UK state pensions are indexed linked, I get a small state UK pension as I sailed on British ships for ~ 11 years, I havn't last years increase to hand but the increase between the 13/4/2022 and from the 13/4/2024 average is 19.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! Re the person who said you can get a full UK and a full Irish State pension. That is not possible from what I experienced. I moved back to the UK from Ireland in April.2023, but the DSP would not permit me to continue making Irish voluntary contributions, as they said that although the UK is no longer in the EU that Ireland has a bilateral agreement with them on pensions. I appealed it to the DSP office foe appeals in D'olier Street, Dublin but never heard back. I hear there customer service is woeful and it's not unusual to wait 18 months for a response. If anyone here has managed to pay national insurance contributions simultaneously in both countries, it would be great to here how they managed to do so.

Just checking if I am correct with my own UK NI contributions. I lived in the UK between 1995 and 2001. I moved back there again to work in April 2023. I have paid voluntary NI contributions from 2002 to 2022. HMRC sent me a letter stating I had 22 years of UK NI contributions in 2022 - I have worked there from 2023 - so will have 23 years contributions this year. My question is that I presume there is no possibility of buying back any of the years before1998 when I first started to work there and would have bern in my late 20s then? Also, I should really have 26 years of contributions in the UK now but as I arrived in Sept 1995 and left in July 2001 ( returned in April 2023), I presume they never costed an NI contributions to bring the half year's contributions up to full years?

Apologies, also looking for additional information. I have been trying to get a statement from pension here in Ireland re my contributions, but despite ordering it twice, I have not received it. I have about 18/19 years of contributions in Ireland, plus credits for maternity benefit, plus I should have 4 years of credits under the homemaker scheme. I have also filled in the form to ascertain these credits for maternity benefit, and under Himemajer's scheme, I.e. not working as caring for a child under 12 for whom I received child benefit - I sent this form back 9 months ago and have also not received this information

• Advertisement

You can get am Irish prsi contributions statement online immediately if you join my welfare.ie and mygovid.ie.

Also citizens information is good with pension help in Ireland if you aren't getting any replies from them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You seem to be confusing two things here - your entitlement to qualify for full pensions in multiple states with the entitlement to make voluntary contributions to obtain full pension rights. If you qualify in the normal way for a full pension in any of the EEA states or the UK, then you are fully entitled to claim them. However each state makes it's own rules when it comes to making voluntary contributions to qualify for a full pension, as you have discovered. Most states have some kind of residency requirements to prevent people pension shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

I had just over 8 years contributions from working in Northern Ireland in the seventies and eighties. I applied over the phone to the International pension centre in Newcastle for a UK pension. They were able to use some of my Irish contributions paid here to satisfy the 10 year rule to qualify for the UK pension however I only get paid for the actual eight years that i contributed. I asked about paying for extra years and they got HMRC to send me the information and I was also able to pay a number of extra voluntary contributions at class 3 which cost around 820 per year.

That's brilliant £137 is very good. I have to pay for the last 7 years by April 2025. So was going to wait for this year aswell to be added. So will be around £1270 which is great for 8 years contributions.

What's the difference between Class 2 and Class 3?

Class 2 are normally for the self employed. Class 3 for PAYE employees

Thanks. Is there a difference in what state pension you get from Cat 2 or 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Hontou

Paid 17 years at class 2 through the bank to HMRC. Cost me €3336 after currency exchange and commission. That apparently brings me up from £55 per week to £145 from age 67 and if I pay £168.80 per year for future years until retirement age I get the full UK pension. I meet the rquirements for a public service Irish pension and state contributory pension too. Lets hope I live long enough to get it as I've worked non stop since I was 16, mostly full time with a part time job on the side. Most Irish people of my generation who worked in the UK, worked very hard (so they could get back home). I feel sorry for those that were paid cash though. No record of their hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

What age does the UK pension pay at ??? Born in 1963 so 61 this year

is it at my 65/66/67 birthday if I do get accepted??

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Hontou

67 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 onefish

It's currently 66. Pretty sure if born in 1963, then for you it'll be 67.

UK state pension payable from age 66 right now and full rate is £203.45 and will increase by 8.5% in April to £221.--

For Masala the pension will be payable at 67 years old-you have 6 years to go.The 67 yr limit comes in towards the end of 2028-4 years from now.I cannot see a definite date in 2028.Once a new government take power after the next general election(predicted for Nov '24)the pension age will be reviewed and looking at 68 years old.The UK gov has promised to give 10 yrs notice of any change! Which means 2035 for 68 yrs at the earliest.But we all know about politicians and their promises.

Look at gov.uk/state pension

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not too late once you get your applicstion in.

I asked in person.

00448007310348 gov uk helpline

Had similar issue. myself. Rang about it and was told to send in cover letter stating my NI number, last address in UK and new name, dob and address in Ireland.

Did all that and heard nothing back but weyhey, turns out they updated everything on the gov. uk for me.

But my phone so o old I couldn't download the app to scan my passport to log in.

Rang the helpline number AGAIN!

. Busy mostly but got through eventually.. Late evening best time apparently.

And they sent me my statement 3 days later 👍

They just don't write back.

Sending in the CF83 form now.

Good luck to your wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Widows Son

How long until it showed up in your national insurance record? Made a payment a couple of weeks ago and pension forecast hasnt updated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭well24

In case nobody has pointed this out already, you only pay tax on pensions when you retire if you withdraw over a certain amt..

Just as long as you dont withdraw over the limit you dwnt pay tax, I dont know what this is, probably in the region of 25 - 30k per year, so 2k - 2.5k pm, maybe someone else can clarify this..

Isn't the date extended to 2025 or something anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It is, but I think that if you claim before 5 April then any previous years will be charged at this years rate whereas those after will be charged at next year's rate. I am open to correction on this point, but i completed the form at the weekend just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tom traubert

This doesn't apply to state contributory old age pensions, which is what this discussion is about.

• Advertisement

Pensions are not tax free. You may thinking of cashing in a part of your private pension fund. That withdrawal up to a certain amount will be tax free-the amount is advised by your pension provider and it is subject to a lifetime limit. The limits are different in Ireland and the UK

Advertisement