Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK state pension

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Bojill

I just do a bank transfer in April, their bank details are on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all. I have 10 years contributions and would like to pay contributions for the gap years 2006 to 2018. I haven’t yet done so as it has me down for £824.20 (Class 3) per year but I believe it should be Class 2. I sent the form in mid January but still nothing back! Any idea when I may find out if my application for class 2 payments has been accepted?!! Surely 6 months is enough time although they must have a mighty backlog!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Post edited by RCSATELLITES on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

Does anyone know exactly how exactly 'working in the UK' is defined for Class 2? About a year before returning to Ireland, I worked for an Irish company, paid prsi etc, but predominantly while WFH (in the UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Ditto - waiting since April. I'm used to waiting - Revenue took 6 years to correct an error in my 04/05 record.

A quick calc shows that paying a year at Class 2 is recouped if you live to collect pension for 8 months (buy an extra year for £160, payout increases by £250/year). Even paying Class 3 rates, you would need to collect for just 3.5 years before you "break even".

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Posted my form in mid-January. Got a reply last week, so seems to be about a 9 month wait.

Did you get the answer you were looking for? I called last week and they said my application should be reviewed within a week, could take 4 weeks though to get the letter from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

No. They said I wasn't eligible for Class 2 payments because I'm not working in Ireland. Except this isn't true - I've never not worked since the day I moved back. I had submitted information regarding my current employment status. Very, very annoying.

The cynic in me thniks that they are trying to push people into Class 3 (much more expensive) and hope they just accept it. I had to sent a reply letter this week pointing out their mistake. Will probably be another 9 months waiting!

If you are entitled to class 2 then by all means don't let them say otherwise. They will definitely try to push class 3 on everyone. It's up to you to prove you are entitled to it and sounds like you have done that. Also there must be a complaints procedure or an appeals process, if they continue to not grant you class 2, once you provide proof and documentation they request.

Just frustrating it all takes soo long. I am still waiting for a reply, and don't even know if they received the application 😅

• Advertisement

Thanks, i know that. I re-submitted the application form with an updated cover letter, where I politely said that I am (and always have been employed), please reconsider the enclosed application. Not going to take it lying down.

What really irked me was the tone of the letter. It was basically - Class 3, thanks and goodbye. There was a section for the HMRC phone number, which was blank. There was no 'if you are working then contact us....' etc.

Did they give any kind of explanation as to why you didn't get class 2. There are a few conditions for class 2 isn't there. The main one being working here in ireland but what about the other one, you had to have been working immediately before leaving the UK. Did you meet that condition. The Uk pensions office doesn't have access to employment records that I know of. So I would have presumed they should have an explanation as why they don't think you are entitled to pay class 2.

I stupidly didn't fill in the working section as when I read it at the time, it sounded more for a UK citizen. "UK employers details for outside UK.

So a month or so later, I resent my application with a cover letter explaining why I didn't fill it in. I also sent a letter from revenue stating I was self employed from the date I returned to Ireland. And I also sent them a letter from the employer in the UK stating I left my job due to relocation.

I did work immediately before leaving the UK - but the letter was clear. They stated that I was ineligible for Class 2 as I'm not currently employed (which is not true).

I had only partially filled out the working section - just like you, it seemed like it would be for a situation whereby a person is employed by a UK company but stationed (and paid) overseas, which I believe is also covered by the same form. I had included a cover letter detailing my Irish employment.

The guidance for the application form literally states to include a separate sheet detailing your overseas employment if you have had more than one employer, so I had thought that I was covered on that front. it looks like the person in HMRC completely ignored it.

Ah ok, that's a bit mad that literally you supply them with all your employment details and they decide you are not working. They should at least ask for more proof if they weren't satisfied. Fingers crossed they come back with better news, for both of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

One imagines that the main determinant in their decisions about whether you were working in the UK before leaving was whether you were paying social insurance contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Any ideas on the following scenario, worked and lived in northern Ireland, approx. 1998 to 2007, got married, relocated to Ireland but kept same job from 2007 to 2013. Have 15 full years on my NI record.

Unemployed since then other than a period from 2020-2021 when i was employed in Ireland.

Should i be Class 2 ?

System is showing Class 3.

Just received my letter from HMRC after 10 months saying they’ve accepted my application to pay Class 2 contributions. Delighted with that. So currently (after the 10 qualifying years) is £61 per week pension. If I pay approx £164 per year from now until 2040 that increases to £162 per week and if I pay 8 years shortfall (approx £164 per year) This will give me the max 35 years and will give me approx £204 per week pension. I think it’s a no brainer. Does this 100% not affect the Irish state pension that I would also get? Thank you!

Did you have to provide any information to prove you are working in Ireland?

It doesn't affect the Irish pension. My mam and dad are currently getting Full irish, half English and my dad also some Italian and some Dutch. So definitely is fine. I hit 40 last week so hoping to pay another 25 years and it should get me the full pension. Just waiting on the letter for now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

No, according to the EU rules and the Post BREXIT agreement, you are entitled to receive as many pensions as you are entitled to. And if you fail to qualify for a full pension in any state, then you are entitled to have the pension entitlements combined to maximize the total payout.

The only thing to keep in mind is that the state paying the largest portion of your pensions is responsible for your healthcare as well, unless you qualify independently for healthcare services in the state in which you reside. So for example in my case, my total state pension is paid by Switzerland and therefore I'm not covered by HSE if I was to return to Ireland. If I did decide to move the Swiss Authorities would issue me with a private health insurance card that would be billed for all my medical expenses in Ireland.

In section 4 of the application form it asks about Employment abroad. Here I added a separate sheet where I put the names and addresses, dates of any employers that I had since I moved to Ireland in 2002. I didn’t provide any more than that.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Hi all,

I sent off the CF83 form some time last year, think around April?

Anyway, just got a letter back saying they can't accept my application because Part 8 of the form was not dated.

Seems unlikely to me, pretty sure I triple checked it was all filled in correctly, and tbh undated seems like not a problem when it's been posted and there's a date on the envelope.

There's also no part 8 to the form. The form is 7 sections long, albeit there is a date in part 7.

Anyone else had a similar issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

I applied for my partner and she got a letter back merely saying "Form Incomplete. Re-submit". No explanation whatsover as to what was incomplete, although my own application was accepted no problem. I've re-submitted my partners form and currently waiting to hear back.

With such a delay, April 2025 being the close of the window to buy back contributions seems not too far away.

Edit: As a guess, it might be, (that with the delay on their part), the date had exceeded a legal time limit and as a result you then had to re-submit. For example I filled in a Direct Debit Mandate, but the date had expired the 6 months legality for such a form to be valid and I had to re-submit it again. Entirely their making.

Post edited by Chauncey Gardner on

Hi Fernando.

Can I just double check with you. When you say "for the full pension you'll need 30 years contributions", are you sure about that? I'm thinking it's 35 years for UK pension?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It is 35 full years to get full UK pension.

Yeah.

I feel like they're making stuff up. Wish I'd taken a picture of the form.

I'll send a new version on Monday, keep a copy for my records and include a letter disputing the "no date in part 8" bit.

There is a direct debit part below Part 7 on the form. It's not labelled as Part 8 and I would have left it blank because I ticked the "pay annually box" which is what I'd need to do when they tell me how much to pay. The form seems to say I can't do direct debit anyway. Damn uncontactable bollixes.

Post edited by PhoenixParker on

That's weird cause my form CF83 has clearly a part 8 where you sign date and put your phone number.

Didn't receive my letter yet, must be going for the "easy ones" first.

• Advertisement

This is my version.

Also my records say I posted it 22nd March last year. So yours is probably imminent.

Advertisement