Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Voting NO for both

It's not like they were even defeated by 51/49 where the government could still pat themseleves on the back for a campaign well fought, but that just missed the mark. It's not like the turnout was tiny- it was a respectable 44%. It's not like the government can say they had no support- virtually every opposion party and NGO followed them like sheep.

The govenment got roundhouse kicked by the electorate by a huge margin, and it is wonderful.

Voting NO for both

“There’s no moratorium across social media and that’s something that we’re certainly going to have to look at going forward.” - Minister of State Mary Butler.

It's like something from North Korea now. How on earth would they propose to initiate a moratorium on social media, that is global by default? Ban internet access in Ireland the day before an election?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭tom23

Voting NO for both

turn off the internet? they are deluded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Voting NO for both

Mary Butler was dreadful on the radio this morning. More talk of "misinformation" and confused voters. And that absolute nonsense of a moratorium on social media. And talking about investigating the AG leak. Awful.

The law professor, who was on a while later, spoke well and represented the view of many voters, I think.

Voting NO for both

They would literally have to turn off internet access in Ireland to have a social media moratorium work.

Or somehow contrive for the entire world's population, internet users, social media partners, and law enforcement to respect a brief Irish moratorium in the largest single coordinated act of internet censorhip in history. I don't think Mary has that pull.

The woman is braindead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Mary Butler is as useless as the rest of them. Has anyone asked her (Minister of State for Older People) what's happening with the regulation of the homecare sector that is in the programme for government and still hasn't happened. Regulated, better quality homecare instead of the current utter shambles would help elderly people and their family carers far more than a constitutional amendment about "striving" to support carers.

Like all politicians, Mary loves a photoshoot. Here she is hob nobbing with the CEO of Home Instead, a for profit homecare business that the HSE outsources services to. The less said about the standard of "care" from this company and others like it, the better.

https://corksafetyalerts.com/news/home-instead-launch-the-annual-essential-guide-to-ageing-well-2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nagel

On a side note Re Mary, she is only "minister of state for older people" within the department of health , I had an issue of concern regarding a problem a neighbour had ,and raised this with her " this is the helpful reply I got from her office back in 2021 I quote from the part of the email reply

"" Minister Butler's brief, however, pertains to issues under the remit of the Department of Health only.  

Your concerns might be better voiced to SAGE Advocacy who can be contacted on info@sageadvocacy.ie.  They provide support and an advocacy service for the elderly.""

So really there is no Minister for Older people , so not surprised by her performance

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Voting NO for both

Heard a snippet of her too. So laughably out of touch it’s almost tragic. She is genuinely THAT stupid that she thinks CCCP style forced censorship is what’s going to help her cause- after the absolute seething drubbing Friday from the electorate. Clearly she wants more

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Voting NO for both

It's amazing how stuff that would have prompted responses like "conspiracy forum thataway" is now being spoken in all seriousness by mainstream party TDs.

Similarly O'Gorman talking about investigating the AG leak.

It's essentially resentment and disbelief that the population/"peasants"/"ordinaries" voted against them, and rather than heeding the almost universal message that the biggest problem was the vague, confused (not confusing!) language and inability to stand over it in recent weeks by the TDs and advocates.

But no, it's the fault of channels they don't control for the debates happening, the questions answered and the information provided. That's the issue. That's what needs to be controlled.

It used to be that ideas like this came from extremists and control freaks. Now we have FFG TDs coming out with it. No wonder McEntee is so keen on her "hate speech" / hurt feelz Bill.

Our democracy and freedom of speech is threatened so long as this current lot remain at the helm. I really hope that the Irish electorate remember today and messaging like the above and use their votes wisely in the coming months.

Voting NO for both

That clip of McEntee a few months back getting asked about the Hate Speech Bill just shows her, and this government's complete hurbis, arrogance and delusion. The interviewer made the point to her that all recent polls indicated the majority of Irish people oppose the bill, as well as thousands signing a petition to stop the introduction of same. Helen looked at him with her usual, blank, gormless expression, and remained completely unphased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Voting NO for both

much of YES side totally disingenuous and toys out of their pram in defeat.

its really not very democratic, the likes of these…, McEntee, O’Gorman and Mary Lou.. trying to disparage the actual results….they are beyond livid, spewing absolute head case undemocratic nonsense…

they lost, the majority saw quite clearly what they were trying to do to this country and it’s citizens and told them to take a hike. In quite an unambiguous straightforward hammering at the ballot box. 😉

we had their amigo Leo, politicking outside a polling station to boot…. So they can have zero complaints. It’s been a disingenuous campaign of lies, misinformation, toxic spin, shady behaviour and fear mongering from them…

they’ve had their backsides handed to them. Their demeanour suggests they didn’t at all expect it. Which is a key indicator as to how out of touch with the thoughts, challenges, fears and desires of the Irish citizens they actually are….

Voting NO for both

I have posted before about how unsuitable McEntee is as a TD, never mind a senior minister - her track record and the worsening problems under her remit (immigration, crime) speak for themselves.

What I worry more about is that this completely under-qualified, dangerous (to our society) individual will continue to fail upwards. We live in an age where identity and box-ticking matter above all. Look at the calls/mandates for gender quotas etc.

It's like when Leo became Taoiseach. Much was made in the media about our first mixed-heritage, gay, young new leader (just do a Google search. It's ridiculous) - the first 2 having zero to do with his ability or suitability, and the latter since proving to be a negative with his immaturity displayed numerous times.

If McEntee somehow got the top job, you can be sure it would all about equality and breaking the glass ceiling and how we've come into the 21st century - but again zero to do with her track record or ability.

She'd be many magnitudes of order worse than Leo though. That much is certain.

Voting NO for both

After her performance in the TV debate aganist McDowell last week, it's hard to imagine her ever becoming FG leader. She simply cannot debate and has absolutely zero charisma, wit or the ability to think on her feet. There is nothing behind that vacant stare. Whatever about Leo, McEntee is not leadership material.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Voting NO for both

McEntee is not able for the job

Voting NO for both

That's not necessarily a blocker/problem though. As it is, based on her performance and public interviews, she's either..

- hopelessly out of her depth (a bit like Catherine Martin) and unable to get a handle on her brief and do what's needed.

Or...

- genuinely thinks that the likes of Twitter trends, identity politics and culture war is a sound basis for policy making. She wouldn't be the only one of the current Government to think this though.

Or...

- easily led and managed by others (again a bit like how Martin is apparently wholly reliant on 3rd parties to relay information to/from her) which is why she comes across so badly in interviews. If it's not in the script she can't deal with it.

... None of the above are exactly inspiring, but it wouldn't stop the Party from pushing her as an identity candidate to the second group above anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I've said it before, the government parrots the agenda of RTE etc , not the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Voting NO for both

Hopefully the folk of Meath will turf her in the next GE

And Bacik isn't even the most militantly woke TD in the party , that's o Riordan

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭tjhook

I wouldn't have thought there's a lot of difference between FF and FG these days, but some figures from the Indo give me pause for thought.

• FG voters appear to have voted Yes to both referendums overall (53% in favour of the family referendum, 51% for the carer referendum).
    • FF voters appear to have voted overwhelmingly No to both (24% in favour of the family referendum, 29% for the carer referendum)

These figures may indicate the direction of their future policies if they're going to try to appeal to their supporters. I tend to vote for center parties, and would be against both these referendums and the "Hate Speech" legislation, so this definitely gives me something to think about for the next election.

Voting NO for both

Can’t we that happening. FG would be signing their death cert as a party if they put her in the top seat for all the reason you have outlined.

• Advertisement

Voting NO for both

O’Riordain has to be the most woke politician in the Norhrern Hemisphere. **** me the man has no limit to what issue he will get enraged about.

Voting NO for both

Just don't tell him you liked 'To Kill a Mockingbird'.

I honestly think O’Riordain is mentally unwell with some of the angry leftist tirades he will go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭nachouser

It's amazing in this day and age that Governments can be so out of touch with their electorate. They could build a site, offer a range of things people could possibly be concerned with / care about and you could login with your ppsn and tick your 5 boxes or whatever. Relatively painless but accurate information about what people do and don't want from their government. Or am I an idiot to think this would work:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

Voting NO for both

Whilst I agree with all your points the biggest issue is there's nobody to vote for.

You'd be hard pressed to find anybody in the country who thinks the current immigration situation is a good idea yet no mainstream party will even talk about it,its mental.

SF have shown themselves to be a less smart version of the current lot and have much the same policies it seems.

It's all a bit grim.

Voting NO for both

Very interesting. Do you have a link to where this vote breakdown is coming from? I heard similar about SF voters earlier on the radio, but I didn't catch the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The Government could easily have ran this with the elections in June, it was the obvious thing to do, if you were going to have referendums.

Instead they closed schools for a day for two referendums that they say as slam dunks. They surely never will envisaged losing either one, and would have expected to bask in the glow of victory.

Runmimg the referendums, which arguably weren’t needed, was a cynical piece of electioneering using tens of millions of public funds.

Its blown up in their faces though.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭tjhook

Voting NO for both

Thank you.

I have to say I'm not at all surprised in the difference between FF and FG voters. For all the "two cheeks of the same arse" criticisms and reference to being divided only by Civil War politics, I have to say my experience is that the FF supporters I know are actually very different than the FG supporters - very different demographics altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Voting NO for both

We'll see a good selection of Independents standing. Some will be true Independents and we'll have a good smattering of Independent FF, Independent FG etc who jump ship in order to distance themselves from the current cancerous consensus.

• Advertisement

Those figures say more about how utterly removed Michael Martin is from the average FF voter,FF once prided themselves on party discipline in elections

Advertisement