Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I am voting NO (care amendment)

Two amendments which were meant to be progressive and equalising have been dismissed because of the cack-handed coversion process from reccommendation by the citizens assembly to the actual proposition. Mismanagement at a level that should be used as a case study in how not to govern.

Clear now in my view that the Constitution of Ireland must be re-written from scratch by people who aren't either a bigot or an archbishop.

Also clear that, regardless of whether people used this as a protest vote against the government, the majority of the population don't trust the government. The two major elections looming in the next 10 months will now be very interesting and could be a whitewash of the government parties.

While this would be a good thing in theory - 13 years is long enough - distressingly, Ireland currently lacks any attractive alternatives who will do better. The amalagamation of left parties would send us back to the stone age economically. The relatively isolated right leaners would send us back to the stone age in every aspect. The centre, sadly, are just plain incompetent.

I don't think I've ever been so dissilusioned with politics. We deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Voting YES for both

i wish i could say i was still young but apart from my partner i don't think i know anyone else who voted, at least no one mentioned it.

reddit often has posts praising the green party that has most posters agreeing with them, so probably not a great barometer of the general consensus either.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,974 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Voting YES for both

More money wasted....who the heck was expecting huge crowds to celebrate?!? Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Voting NO for both

It was a lightning rod for anti government sentiment- I absolutely opposed the legislation as well so for people like me it was the perfect opportunity to kick the government - two-for-the-price-of-one really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Voting NO for both

There is definitely a rise in conservative outlook. It would be foolish to think otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

What is the relevance of "the trans agenda" to either of these referenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Voting NO for both

exactly, McDowell was articulate, measured, calm.....he was class! So was Maria Steen the other night. Micheal Martin hadn't a clue how to react to her points, he was like a petulant child. People like Steen and McDowell make our leaders look like bumbling, incoherent idiots. I think our Government have got so used to being patted on the head by EU masters and being treated like they can do no wrong, that they have completely lost touch with their own voters here in Ireland. They have lost the ability to think for themselves and to put the country and it's people first. It beggars belief how out of touch they are... I'm thinking of that idiot Thomas Byrne 2 weeks ago on Prime Time, plus McEntee, O Gorman among others. And where was O Gorman in all of this??? He's gone AWOL.

They will all exodus this country in the next few days to try and impress the rest of the world for Patricks Day. Yet here in Ireland they are failing every single day, on almost every single issue..... housing, health, immigration, transport, Green issues. If another greenway is announced while we are crying out for trains and metros I will scream! They are completely out of touch and look on the Irish electorate as backward idiots who need to be told what to do. They will be in shock at the result today. They are in for a bigger shock in the general elections. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I voted No No as the whole thing just seemed ill thought through. In particular nobody seemed able to offer a proper definition of durable relationship. I didn’t want something as half assed as these amendments going into our constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

AFAIAA Rodders, Vlad and their ilk are/were gungho about it too. It's part of a specific mindset that seemed to arise fully formed out of the sea, but began to fall apart when examined in the clear light of day, just like these two referendums. A mindset that imo was used to distract from the real issues of the day - housing, health etc. The true left-wing issues as opposed to the feelgood woke issues, many of which I am in favour of btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Precisely, while the rest of us will be left in the gutter and not a worry on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Voting NO for both

Read the mega thread on Ireland Reddit about this referendum and the not old people realise what a croc of **** the whole thing was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

ok, so you have no idea what you are talking about other than trans = bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,081 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Voting NO for both

Well someone was saying voters on boards were of a certain age and voting no. And that Reddit was younger and all yes. So, that was a rubbish point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Voting NO for both

I said I was voting no and I did.

Worked as a poll clerk yesterday so spent the day listening to a wide range of people very p$ssed off with politicians and a referendum that they couldn't understand.

If I were O'Gorman, I'd be a little worried about Leo"s confidence vote in me.

Death knell 🥴😊

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

It's not an affluent constituency, Castleknock is an outlier in Leo's constituency

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Voting NO for both

What a waste of tax payers money. O' Gorman and Catherine Martin should be both sacked for their dismal work over these huge issues in RTE debacle and these Referendums.

Overall, alot of people starting to smell the **** from the Rose's regarding the FFG government bareface lying to the populations faces whilst the leaked documents say a something g completely different. Trust is well and truly broken.

Also on a different note, working class areas like cherry orchard ballyfermot etc had one of the highest percentage vote for yes in the gay marriage referendum and have voted +80% no in these. Have these people turned radically conservative or 'right wing' in the last few years or have the government gone radically left and woke in the last few years - I think the answer is the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭AyeGer

The best thing to come out if this referendum failure would be for Rodric O’Gorman to be shown the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Abstaining

More of a not taking bullsh1t from government outlook.

Money down the drain. Govt with tail between its legs. Their feelgood easy-win, faux progressive referendum defeated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Voting NO for both

Looks like the Care one is going to be rejected by an even wider margin than the Family one.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

Voting NO for both

He'll cling on to his 20 seconds of fame as long as possible, arguably the most useless minister in cabinet, which is an achievement in itself when you have the likes of McEntee, Martin x 2, O'Brien, Donnelly, Harris etc in cabinet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

Voting NO for both

They all remind you of the sort of people who used to be on the Irish version of the apprentice back a while ago. Utterly winging it. Full of **** types all in search of personal glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

Voting NO for both

Yes, just looking at the early constituencies, they are running about 6-7% more for no. So a more emphatic no in the Care referendum.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Voting NO for both

Looks like a pretty clear 2-1 majority no vote, all over the country, with slightly higher yes votes in Dublin, especially affluent South Dublin.

When, before the rugby match started, I saw on the news/referendum coverage that even Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown was was too close to call for the family status vote, I knew it was going to be a pretty big no.

The political pundits on TV were all saying that the proposed changes by the government were very poorly worded and thought-out and that their campaign for a yes vote was very poor, and I would agree with all that, but they were also saying that this result wasn’t a reflection of public anger and real dissatisfaction with the FFG/Green govt.

I would really disagree there - look at where the constituencies that returned the strongest No votes were - Louth, working class parts of Dublin, Roscommon, Tipperary - that says to me that the immigration/refugee issue and its atrocious mishandling of the situation by the government spurred many voters there to punish the FFG/Green govt and the upcoming local elections will also reflect that.

Typical - and cynical - of the main opposition parties to attack the government over the campaign when they did nothing themselves to question the botched wording of the amendments. McDowell was right on the ball there and I normally would not be a fan of the man’s political views.

Like others, I too feel that not only are the arrogant government completely out of touch with the electorate, but so too are most of the opposition. It’s rather depressing.

Varadkar, O’Gorman and McEntee all really need to go.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Registered Users Posts: 31,974 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Voting YES for both

Some people turned up.... but....this is so cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Voting NO for both

Saw a speech by O’Gorman where he starts off graciously accepting defeat but then becomes irritated and then changes his demeanour and tact..

“its up to the government to make a case that the referendum should pass and we’ve clearly not been successful….”

then subsequently, seconds later ….

“The case for constitutional reform of article 41 remains but it won’t be for this current government…”

Errr, the people have made a democratic decision regarding article 41, hours ago… and then this O’Gorman comes out with that….^. Absolute cretin…..” the case for reform of article 41 remains..” the people spoke and despite at the beginning of that speech accepting defeat, seconds later…the above….ffs…some democrat….. and something else beginning with the same first letter of democrat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Think there'll be plenty of ff n fg back benchers giving Michael and Leo dogs abuse next week. A lot of them getting jittery about getting re elected imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TracyMartell

Voting NO for both

Ireland Reddit page is in meltdown lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Voting NO for both

Not going to happen unfortunately. Gross incompetence is met with silence or even praise from Leo. O'Gorman, McEntee, Martin among the most hapless (and dangerous) politicians the Dail has ever seen. Failure after failure. Rest of the senior ministers much the same.

FG if they are not to follow Labours demise need to cull the front ranks. Varadkar, Harris, Coveney, Doherty, McEntee, Humphrey's, Richmond all should be finished. Madigan obviously considers Europe more important than home. at least a quarter of the sitting TD's not running so I would expect a heave pre election. It's a toxic ship.

Hopefully the Greens are wiped out.

FF as inept as ever.

Hapless opposition. Bleakest of times though todays result and the manner of it perhaps gives some cause for hope.

Advertisement