Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭jj880

Aldi are charging a deposit on their Vive 2litre rock shandy. Once they start with my favourite the lemon & lime that's the (fly) tipping point for me. Enough is enough at that stage. I've a burning barrel setup in the trees and long grass on rough ground 100 yards from my house. Easy get away if required. No more recycle bin charges for me! Sure most of it gets incinerated anyway. Less weight in the bin lorry means less diesel needed to transport my plastics somewhere else to get burnt. Biweekly CO2 saving right there. Ossian wont give a toss. Re-Turn still get my 2 litre sparkling lemon & lime deposits. Win win for me and Ossian. Saving the environment together. Just call me captain planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Some RVM deposits from yesterday (LIDL this time!) not anywhere near as good as the €200 from the other day i know. Was aiming for a clear crisp €10 (brought €11 euros worth just incase of any rejects) but my arms got too tired and still sore from the other day, could only reach €7 before the machine spit out the deposit receipt voucher. After that i gave up, took the voucher, and gave the rest of my remaining cans/bottles to an elder gentleman who was using the machine beside me and only had like less than €2 worth. He talked about the old glass bottle deposits scheme back in the day, but also pointed out they don't come to your door to collect these days with this new scheme like they used to do with glass bottles thing.

...oh yes, i nearly forgot! i've a tip for anyone having struggles with those pesky small mini fruit shoot bottles. LIDL's machines seem to accept them. And so far seem to be the only place i've found that accepts them. Does anyone know if LIDL sells fruit shoot? it would be an interesting coincidence if they did. i can finally get rid of all my "mc donalds fruit shoot deposit charge 0.15" receipts now XD

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,764 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How does the bin lorry empty the machines? Or lift the contents into the back of the truck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I assumed the bin lorry was emptying just wheelie bins from manual return businesses, I don't see wheelie bins around the machines

• Advertisement

Sorry, I thought that was a pick up from an RVM location.

As far as I know the bin lorry driver doesn't go to the RVM.

The RVM is emptied by shop staff.

Yea, but what happens after its emptied is the question, maybe they are tipped into wheelie bins, I did see the Refuse Truck today at a Dunnes Stores that has a machine.

after its emptied its wheeled into the back of the store somewhere (the metal tray on wheels kart thingy from the rvm) , where its then inserted into the plastic orange bin thingy and then closed, and ready for whenever re-turn needs to collect it.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭vafankillar

ah yeah of course us mere peasants must run around with bags of empty cans like fools while our overlords get exemptions lol

really just taking the piss with this. has this system failed in any other country? would love to see ireland lead the way with this tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Well, well, well ...

I'm sure Eamon is ready to jump on his rothar and pedal off in a fit of pique.

Charlatans, the lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I thought you were a man, it's amazing the things you learn form pics posted here! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Same thing happening in Lidl before the return scheme started.Put back in with a different "face" showing and the can or bottle would be accepted.Other times more than 3 attempts needed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Wasps alive I like it.With global warming that the greens want it'll be biting mosquitos in residence.Wasps mind their own business.Mossies not.

some shops exempt if too small for a machine but still have to charge

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Going to fire off a good few emails this am to TD's.

everyone is, as it's lovely to have a bit extra to spend/save. if i can think of any more deposit return related tips i'll be sure to let you all know by sharing them here. At the moment all i can think of is checking the tables and bins (for deposit bottles and free tea/coffee stickers) whenever you pass through a mc donalds lol. Also the younger crowds in food halls usually seem to leave a mess with their bottles after drinking instead of binning/returning them.

Sadly i'm not allowed to share any of my cans/bottles i get from work as i'm allowed to take as many as i like and as many as i can carry, under the conditions that i don't make a mess, i don't make a habit of it everyday of the week (i only go by there every 3 or 4 days anyway) aslong as i don't bring other people in with me, and the most important rule he says for legal reasons: aslong as i don't share the cans/bottles with anyone else. He says it MUST be me or anyone else he employees, as he's paid the deposit on them all upfront and legally is'nt allowed to permit non- employee's to redeem the deposits on them. (something about company expenses or legal responsibilities to non-workers, and insurance only covering employee's, and not being allowed to give anything that can result in an income or financial gain to non employees even if its as low as 15 cent). But if there's ever any job openings here i'll let you know. i wouldn't mind sharing as quite often there's more than i can carry left over anyway, like by the hundreds. it's like a free tip up for grabs to any employee that wants to avail of it, and at no extra cost to him since they're going in the landfill bins anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Have to say it’s definitely putting me off buying drinks in shops now. I have loads of cans of coke for now as I stocked up when they were on special at 24 cans for €10 before the scheme came into effect. Sadly, you will never see those prices again what with the deposit on the cans, but now shops are just price gouging when it comes to drinks.

When I’m done I think I will just drive to Newry to stock up on drinks and alcohol now, with the MUP here also having an effect on alcohol prices.

I was always meticulous about recycling at home, but can’t be bothered having a separate bin for cans and bottle to be returned to the machine. I don’t have the space for it.

Perhaps if shops start seeing a decline in drinks sales the whole scheme might start to become unpopular with the retailers which are a very powerful lobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭jj880

Perhaps if shops start seeing a decline in drinks sales the whole scheme might start to become unpopular with the retailers which are a very powerful lobby.

Wouldn't that be something. I suspect the boyos behind this scheme would rather eat grass than see it fail (not that theyd be held to account anyway if it did). The Ireland solution to signs of rejection would probably be compensate every stake holder involved to keep Re-Turn between the ditches. Not the customer obviously. Higher deposits to "encourage" participation for us mugs since we aren't behaving ourselves.

All may not be what it seems in the Newstalk piece.

Leinster House may just be availing of the HORECA exemption which is available to all bars and restaurants.

Under this the business still pays the deposit to the wholesaler doesn't charge the deposit to the customer and retains the can/bottle on the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lgt

Why are we being charged deposit on cans than don’t have the repak logo therefore not accepted by the machine. Driving mad!!

It's very confusing at the moment.

There are three different types of stock on sale

1 has logo and barcode, deposit charged and refundable

2 has barcode but no logo, deposit charged and refundable

3 may or may not have a barcode but is old stock, no deposit should be charged

You can check the barcode on the DRS website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I did my first return of cans last night. I had 18 Diet Coke cans all from the same multi-pack. 12 were accepted and 6 were rejected. The 6 don't have the Return symbol or any barcode. But I was charged a deposit based on all 18 cans in the pack. Up until now I have recycled 100% of my waste possible in my green bin, but the 6 cans went into a bin outside the shop, as I was heading out. I usually only enter a supermarket on my way home from work, so making a specific trip from home to bring these back is a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I can easily see this move causing a drop in recycling numbers not an increase. They have assumed recycling numbers would stay the same as before, and the introduction of the RVMs would be a top-up to those numbers. However, the last 3 times I went to the RVM, a number of my barcoded bottles or cans were not accepted. There was no bottle/can bank there, so they went into the bin outside the shop. I'm hardly going to carry them around the shopping centre with me and then bring home to put in my green bin am I?

After my 3-4 trips, the first time when my 15 cent voucher was not recognised by the shops scanners, I'm over it and all cans/bottles are back to going in my green bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Was it the same shop that the machine was in / outside of or another premises then the voucher needs to go back to original place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

As the crow flies between the RVM and the customer service checkout desk there was about 6 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

There are no deposits on containers above 3 litres, any chance the drinks companies will develop a 3.001 litre container for soft drinks 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

Well, I did read the article quickly, but my take on it, (never being inside Leinster House or Gov't Buildings that it referred to other than the famous subsidised Leinster House Bars, but vending machines and the like. If anyone has further information on this, I would love to see it.

Advertisement