Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Thanks! and yes it's all kosher and perfectly legal with all deposits paid, some of the containers are a mixture of my own ones i bought in shops, others also paid for by other people and given to me, or found on the street. And alot from work. i was talking with the boss and he re-assured me that the deposit fee's on his cans and bottles are all paid in full. He can't be bothered with chasing deposits and accepts it as a loss, but also says im doing him a favor by freeing up space and taking them off his hands.

The way i see it, i'm doing him a favor by making more space/room for him to bin other things, as well as helping the environment by stopping them from ending up in a landfill somewhere, and thus everyones a winner xD

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes, it's a certain "yes" that your actions are helping to keep the scheme alive so fair play to you

Can you explain the "more pain" element of your post?

yes, numerous pains. i'll explain in greater detail.

as the larger size bottles are more physically bigger, this adds more burden to several aspects of the return process, including storage, carrying, and even makes placing the bottles into the machine more difficult as each single large sized bottle is heavier than placing a single small bottle or single aluminium can into the RVM. Ontop of that i couldn't just put them into regular black bags like i normally do with cans and bottles (due to size and volume) i had get a lend of an abnormally large skip bag.

I tried experimenting and testing between 20-30 large bottles in black bags, but kept finding many problems. Most common problem was the bottles making holes in the bag and poking through, or else getting bent and damaged. Also found them impossible to carry without damaging them as they're too bulky and don't move around to make space as much as the smaller sized bottles and cans do (they're easier to manage and move around easier in the bag). So i put them in a skip bag and then tied the top of the skip bag down with a lose empty black bag and a rope.

Then putting them into the machine became very tiresome. i was reasonably fast at first and motivated, but slowly overtime it begins to take its toll. They become heavier overtime, and i was under severe pressure rushing to get them all in as fast as possible so that the receipt would not spit out before i Finnish, as i wanted to reach a clear crisp number. Mentally its a pain too, and a pain in the behind. imagine if it would have stopped at €199.75 lmao i would have cried (not really but kinda woulda been painful to think of, sends a shiver down my spine right now just thinking of it). i had an extra 10 bottles with me to secure this perfect number of 200, and thankfully i did as 5 bottles were rejected. i coulda but the other 5 in too but it woulda ruined the number, made it something like €201.25. i gave the extra 5 bottles to some kid who was using the other machine, but didnt hang around long enough to see if they worked. i'd assume 4 of the 5 worked.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭nachouser

Was the Aldi rvm located outside the shop? Cos I'm kinda trying to imagine bringing the skip bag to work to fill it. Then dragging the skip bag out of work and into the back of a van. Then driving to Aldi, dragging the bag through the car park, with the rope over your shoulder, into the shop and then loading 800 bottles from a skip bag in a row to get the magic number.

The RVM was located inside of the aldi but outside of the shop, just as you go inside of the entrance BEFORE going into the store part there is 2 machines. One is right near the enterance of the store itself, and the other is a little bit out of the way of the entrance but still close. The enterance of the building has a massive opening (not the shopping part, the part before the shopping area).

The skip bag was'nt brought to work, the bottles were brought home in several black bags over a course of 3 trips back home from work. Then i had to figure out how to bring them from home to an RVM. I Went by foot as my nearest aldi is only a 5 minutes walk away. (another local RVM is even closer, only 2 minutes away but there was no way i was gonna fit that through their door in 1 trip alone, so i had to compromise).

i was pushing the skip bag some parts and then attempting to lift it over curbs on others. i couldnt risk dragging it behind me incase any bottles would fall out. Occasionally i would stop and check ahead, and make note of any improvisations needed. Crossing the road was the hardest part, as many people were beeping, but thankfully it only needed to be done once.

if i ever decide to do this again in future, i'm thinking of getting a wooden pallet and drilling small wheels into the bottom of it, and a handle onto the front, and some sort of wooden ledges along the sides and back so it would make things much easier. Perhaps maybe even a little bicycle bell or a bike horn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭nachouser

Grand, I have my answer. You're good fun, in fairness. If you do get the contraption together you might think about bringing it around the town and ringing the bell saying "Bring out your bottles."

Post edited by nachouser on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Im not helping with the target as Im just binning my bottles and cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Running the scam off the scheme and the scheme off the scam 😂

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭jj880

RVMs 2 minutes and 5 minutes away from your house you say?

Perhaps theres an easier way to get 100s of bottles from your place to the RVMs without skip bags and wheeled pallets... 🧐

You ever used horse feeders? I reckon you could carry a few 100 in a few of these and carry them over your shoulder easier than moving a skip bag / pallet trolley. You could get at the RVM with the smaller entrance also. Make a couple of trips.

Easy to keep clean. No slops lying in the bottom of them. Get a smaller mesh size if you want to do the cans / smaller bottles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TEKE-General-haynet-Length-Holes/dp/B0CF4HRCQB/

• Advertisement

interesting idea, i like the idea of it but not the cost. i might consider making my own one of these, but in all fairness i like the dramatic affect and theatrics of bringing big bin bags or using a pallet trolley. it feels more like i've earned the money and in a weird kind of way shows dedication.

But there's a funny gag with using these horse feeder things, instead of feeding a horse some food i'd be feeding the RVM's some containers xD

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Genghis

sounds like a fun and funny idea, i can imagine that being used as a good skit in a comedy show, something where there is stunts or pranks done on the unsuspecting public kinda like naked camera with PJ Gallagher or the american show Jackass. I can see myself going up to restaurants and cafe's while people are trying to eat outside and suddenly ringing the bell asking for containers to recycle and a giant flag in the bag of it saying "BOARDS BOTTLER WANTS YOUR BOTTLES!" and shouting from a megaphone thingy. Would probably need to attach the wooden thing to a bike so i can make a quick getaway if all fails.

As a real serious idea it's one unfortunately i cannot actually implement as there's a [deleted]

it is a fun idea you suggested though. its an idea i may actually consider at a later date when there's music festivals going on or parties

Hes messing after all the daft requests for proof recently. At least I hope hes messing.

Plenty of good YouTube videos of making your own. They'd take some time but would probably last longer than premade from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Was filling up the car with petrol today at the local Circle K. Drip, drip, drip I inched towards €50 then stopped at €49.99 so that I would only have to tap the credit card.

Get to the counter, Pump 3 - 49.99 euro

Scan my loyalty badge - "Ah, you get a free treat. Bottle of water and either a Prodigy protein bar or a Kitkat chunky?"

Kitkat chunky please

"Ok. That'll be €50.14 please"

What the fock?

"15c deposit on the bottle. You'll have to stick in your card"

Fingers crossed the Greens get decimated in the next election. I don't want a single seat to go to those begrudging, penny-pinching basterds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Kit Kat chunky ???

You are a person that is out of control.

• Advertisement

You were charged a deposit on a chocolate bar?

Edit: missed the bit about the water bottle

Excellent choice of bar by the way

Thank you, I had not seen that. Those numbers are not at all impressive.

The article avoids placing them in any context, I imagine it was copied and pasted from a re-turn PR release.

An average 5m in scope containers are sold per day in Ireland. So 2m items returned out of 150m sold is no great shakes, even allowing for transition. Over 100m items are returned by kerbside collection, by comparison.

201,000 items in one day as cited for 29 Feb (the best day that month), across 2000 machines means just 100 items per day per machine. In money terms that's €2.20 earned per machine for the retailers if Ireland. At commercial rates that may not even cover the cost of electricity for the RVM.

With customers returning an average of 2.84 items per transaction, each machine had an average 35 visits on 29 Feb. Over a 12-14 hour retail day, that's 2.5 to 3 people using the machine per hour. By comparison, retailers big enough to have an RVM will serve more than 100 customers per average hour, supermarkets more.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, about these numbers are impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Footage, as well as a signed affidavit from the man in question.

Thats not enough to be considered tangible evidence, we also need eye witness accounts and possibly even a set of finger prints from the person in question. Furthermore using a bretelizer at the time may have been a good idea incase later he's challenged by the opposition and relied on in court to prove he was'nt intoxicated or under the influence of anything at the time of making those statements.

Where are you getting 5m containers a day? Considering multipacks only started appearing in the last week of the month I find that figure hard to believe

Post edited by Red Silurian on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

It's way too early to be looking at the figures. There's still shops trying to offload old containers.

I only use official numbers, or numbers cited by re-turn or their CEO. Always happy to back up any claim I make, or have it challenged if I haven't used official data correctly.

So here is a source for 1.9bn bottles and cans consumed p.a. You may be able to find other sources, I have seen various numbers between 1.8bn and 2bn p.a. 1.9bn per annum is 5.2m units per day.

From another more recent source, at launch the press release says "About 5 million drinks are consumed in single-use containers in Ireland each day."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I would imagine also that there's people building up a lot of containers for their first run. It's a small enough number for example but I've got 4x more items ready to return than I've returned so far. Just waiting for a better critical mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Don't wait for too long. Some of your items might may not be accepted so you will have a mass of cans you need to bring back and put in the green bin. Also, the RVM might not be working on the day you go.

• Advertisement

Re-turn have issued the figures on their own steam, they were not under any pressure to do that. It looks like they did so to claim for themselves a great start, seeking congratulation, to maybe get some nice PR.

All I am saying is that when you set their figures against reality they are very, very uninspiring.

Their claims of a good start are false, disingenuous and misleading. Re-turn have not made a good start. No doubt they will get better, but for now that is the actual situation.

If I was CEO I would have waited until the numbers looked a lot better before revealing them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement