Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Oh yeah, I meant to say that includes ReTurn too. No way you should be trying to spin a PR win this early

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭bog master

Well, my 6th weekly shop and so disappointed, have not been charged a deposit yet. And yet to see anyone using a RVM, and the window to collect

"cash refunds" at SValu sign is still up near the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That's fair yes, good sources on the figures as well but how many of those 5m containers had re-turn logos on them the last few weeks?

I can't find the exact figures myself but I doubt it's anywhere near the 5m/day figure based on anything in multipacks until very recently weren't re-turn-able

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Genghis

Absolutely @Daith - I get the sense re-turn are desperate for good news, thats the only explanation I can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I have been charged deposits, but haven't returned any of those items yet ... and gotten refunds on several items I did not pay a deposit on... it is a confusing time.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I don't think there will be a public source for that, re-turn would have a good idea based on producer levies but may not reveal. So would retail chains, and I suspect there are already conversations about the low return ratios between retailers and re-turn.

I fully agree it's not 5m a day yet, I would think we are probably around 40-50% logoed stock as of now, just based on a recent visit to a supermarket.

Let's be generous and say that by the end of February only 20% of items sold bore the logo (80% old stock). The numbers are still not great - 201k of 1m logo items sold is 20% run rate.

Compare to: We were recycling 65% before re-turn and re-turns job is to replace that 65% and get it to 90%.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

Why are the likes of Panda, City Bin etc not kicking off about this? They must be losing revenue if this does take off. Are they involved in this Re-turn.ie? What country is Re-turn registered?

My manager was telling me about a friend of his who runs a company that goes around collecting cans from bottle banks and selling the scrap essentially, they're expecting to have to go out of business in the next few months. And there are a good few other companies that do that exclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

So far of the bans and bottles Ive brought with the logo and barcode and the deposit paid on them, only half were accepted.

My point to that poster was, if he waits until he has a big load, he could be returning home with a big load that were not accepted.

• Advertisement

Ah fair enough, thought you meant something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i was talking to a shop owner of a small business yesterday about a certain type of canned drink he normally sells in 6 packs for 3.50. He bumped the price up to 4 quid and then we got talking about the DRS scheme. He's exempt from the drs scheme requirement of having a machine, but still will have to charge a deposit on the items he sells. (currently he selling off all old stock until june 1st he said, and then will put the logo stock he has on the shelves). He said this 6 pack of cans in question will go up to €4.60 after june 1st to cover the deposit costs, but this does'nt really makse sense as cans are 15c deposit each, so going by that they should increase to €4.90. i feel he's just pulling numbers out of his ass like alot of other businesses seem to be doing, and taking advantage of the scheme to bump their own prices up before adding a deposit. These cans on their own are 70cent, but after june 1st he says they'll cost people a euro (despite a can deposit only being 15c its clear he's taking advantage of this and profiting off of the scheme in a different/price inscrease related way). Another shop (a well known franchise with an RVM inside there store) has done this on alot of their bottles too, bottles that used to be €2 and €2.10 shot up to €2.25+15cent deposit total 2.40 and some cases 2.55.

There needs to be more radio shows and coverage done on the bad side of all this DRS RVM things and also on the shops who are scamming people and taking advantage of the whole DRS thing and using it as an excuse to increase their own prices on items (not including the deposit) and then adding the deposit. obviously not on the specific shops themselves but something raising awareness of the issue i mean, would be nice.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,288 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They did, their trade body made submissions on their behalf.

They are not involved in re-turn; which is registered in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

First crack at it today. After learning how the machine needed me to act, I managed to get my money back. I, for one, welcome our new machine overlords. Sacrifice your bottles and cans to them and you too shall be chosen.

Well done, congrats on first timing the machine with success :) i'm happy you had a positive first time experiance. Idk if bad luck with others or what the story is (to be fair i had bad luck day 1, and sometimes still do every so often).

But yes i have too made the required sacrifice you speak of, and have been rewarded handsomely for it. Here's the proof of the riches the RVM gods granted to me after making the required sacrifice https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/BT7VWNXBZUCW/aldi2.png i'm the chosen one XD

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As this is AH, I think it is timely to repost this... this fate awaits all who do not offer up a proper sacrifice.

Aluminium... plastic... or blood! Your choice.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Out of curiosity, did you get failures on the same brands? All mine are Coke Zero cans which would be programmed into the machine (there's 2 of them at my local supermarket).

Fair point I might end up taking some back though it's at least a short enough walk for me.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,301 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Second time doing a deposit, local supervalu. Glad to see they have trained up their staff into how to use the voucher off the shopping cost.

Deposited €4.30 worth. No issues, all items flew through.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Newsagents in blanch centre charging on bottles and cans no machine in sight this has been a ripoff from the start but crooks like this are just awful.

Had an issue today where a self checkout was scanning the voucher but not taking it off the actual bill. Shop gave me cash for it, so no loss but if you didn't notice it, there'd be issues.

Same self checkout has worked fine before; the RVM itself in that shop has worked flawlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They have to charge the deposit because they have paid it to the wholesaler.

Smaller shops have an exemption from taking back returns.

They are supposed to display a sign telling you where the nearest machine is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

No, all different. Pepsi, Guinness. Schweppes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm not sure there is one either so at the moment we can only speculate, 20% seems like a lot though, I'd say it's closer to 5% but realistically until June there no way of knowing. Re-turn seem happy with the figure though which is notable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭obi604

Has the sale of plastic bottle and canned drinks dropped in the last few weeks? Anyone have any stats.

It's way, way more than 5%. It's also way more than my kind estimate earlier of 20%.

Curious, and not wanting to rely too much on guesswork, I took a look at some I scope items available to order for next day collection at my local Dunnes Stores. You can do the same, am sure you will see what I see.

78%, that's right, 78% of items I checked have a deposit on their price.

I stand over my earlier comments, re-turn are running at an abysmal collection rate of around 10%, far from this being good news, the numbers re-turn have released show people are not engaging.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PS, my workings. I searched the brand names bolded below on Dunnes Stores app and I counted how many options included deposit. The brands I searched covered a basket of small sizes, large sizes, single containers, mini packs and multi packs, etc, as well as soft drinks and alcohol.

Fanta 12 of 15 items priced with deposit

Pepsi 7 of 8 items priced with deposit

Lucozade 15 of 20 items priced with deposit

Ballygowan 12 of 12 items priced with deposit

IPA (excl bottles) 12 of 15 items priced with deposit

MiWadi 14 of 19 items priced with deposit

Coca 20 of 21 items priced with deposit

Monster 16 of 20 items priced with deposit

7up 7 of 11 items priced with deposit

Bacardi (excl bottles) 4 of 4 items priced with deposit

Stout 2 of 11 items priced with deposit

Volvic 8 of 8 items priced with deposit

Sprite 7 of 8 items priced with deposit

Conclusion: 136 of 174 items looked at were priced with deposit (78%)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭bog master

I plead total ignorance in the field of economics, but if significant number of people do not return bottles/cans for deposit, would that contribute to a rise in inflation?

If it's not in the CPI basket it won't contribute to the official figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭beachhead

Nice round figure.May the Lordships smile on me and grant me their benificence and may the machine be in order

omg those stats are shocking, its nice to know that my contributions actually make a difference. Some of these are among what i recycle in large volumes, notably the volvic and ballgown bottles and a few others not mentioned on the list. Seeing 8 out of 8 and 12 out of 12, i'm absolutely gobsmacked. It's amazing but also hilarious as the same time.

I'm however surprised my wadi has such a low recycling rate here, if i were to speculate i believe it could be down to the time miwadi is purchased vs the time it takes to consume. as with mywadi its not as as straight forward as the other drinks you've listed here and requires being watered down/diluted, and thus lasts much longer.

-------------

EDIT: nevermind, i just woke up and entirely misread/misunderstood your post. i thought it was about the rates at which the deposits were claimed for these products, rather than being products which are for sale alongside a deposit in their price.

• Advertisement

No bother @BoardsBottler you are a busy man these days!

The context was coming from re-turn who are on a bit of a self congratulatory PR drive at the minute, talking about 200k returns a day, over 3m to date returns, etc. Displaying a desperate need to claim some kind of success after a disastrous first month, methinks.

When you look at 5m items being sold a day, and that up to 80% of those are now deposit paid, all I am saying is 200k/300k deposit returns Vs 4m deposit paid items sold on a daily basis is still less than 10% collection. Not to mind the EU 90% thing it was created to achieve.

Early days, but I'm only commenting on re-turn claiming early success which they are not entitled to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement