Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Ha! It's the Goth element that detracts from their sound for me!

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Great to see such a solid crowd for Slift (and SeRvo - place was so busy for them too). Dunno if it was just me but it seemed far busier than similar shows i've seen in Whelans in past year(s). (Earthless, Minami Deutsch to name but two).

Bizarrely, Slift's first show here but hopefully won't be the last.

Love to hear from the promoter and get views on how it was possible to put show on given relentless excuses we hear about touring challenges/prevailing winds.

Wishlist from anyone? Have the below ever played Dublin?

delving / Elder, Causa Sui, King Buffalo, Chris Forsyth, Frankie and the Witch Fingers, Cave, Karkara, Endless Boogie

I too was surprised at how few there were at Earthless (in particular) and Minami Deutsch.

Fine list there. Cave were supposed to play Crawdaddy around 2007/08 but i believe it got pulled at the last minute. I couldn't attend so i'll shamefully admit i was happy about that outcome. To my knowledge, none of the other acts have played here.

I saw Endless Boogie at LPF, they were phenomenal. Head-nodding, grin-inducing bliss. Walked out on stage and announced "Hi, we're Endless Boogie from New York, we might have time for one more" as they launched into their set. 60 minutes, two songs 😃😎

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Northernsoul

Im also heading to Bearded Theory for the first time! Great line-up! How you getting there? I still haven't worked that out :/

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭mgkelly

Bringing car. Ferry from Belfast to Liverpool o/night on Thu then drive.

I started to check to se eif there were bus services available & got the sense that that will happen, nearer the time.

The line up ticked an awful lot of boxes for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Northernsoul

Im volunteering with Oxfam so will be there from the wed i think. Full line-up announced tomorrow so expecting a few more tasty additions!

Oh fantastic! Was looking out for more announcements! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

OMD were amazing in Belfast last night. Anyone seeing them in Dublin is in for a treat.

Bearded Theory, May 2024 - Derbyshire

I see many great names added to the line up. Excited!

Baxter Dury

Therapy? - seen numerous times, but they sure know how to bring the noise.

Goat Girl (don't think they were on the original line up?)

Steve Davis in the Dance Tent - I assume this is Steve 'interesting' Davis - what a turn up for the books he's turned into. Ambient oriented DJ!

Bentley Rhythm Ace for a bit of silliness & chaos!

Dry Cleaning (saw them before at ATN, but they were class! - real different stuff; their style is being copied a little, now, I think - the talkey-sing-y thing!)

BC Camplight

Stereo MCs - seen a few times now; last time was at ShiiineOn, a couple of years ago - but extremely groovy/funky stuff.

Now to do some homework, checking out other names. Already swotted up on Jane Weaver, who is fantastic, as well as had a listen to Pip Blom - also very good.

Shaping up to be a good festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Plenty of good stuff there alright. BC Camplight fantastic in Whelan's a couple of months ago.

• Advertisement

Re. Steve Davis; you should check out his ambient/experimental band The Utopia Strong. Played upstairs in Whelans a few years ago. Very good. His DJ sets encompass all manner of experimental music not just ambient.

Jane Weaver is in Whelans 9th May. Also in Belfast around then.

I saw Pip Blom a few weeks ago in the Grand Social. They've ditched the drummer and gone all synth-pop. It seems to be getting them more exposure but i preferred the 4-piece guitar orientated material.

It's a decent lineup alright. Plenty to fill the weekend. Chris Liberator and System 7 are two catching my eye for throwing some shapes!

Yes, I've streamed some Utopia Strong stuff. Very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Old Men Deliver. As always.

A magnificent show from OMD in the Olympia.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

On the bus, heading for Øxn in Vicar Street. Listening to the album constantly last few days, powerful stuff, Cruel Mother blasting on the earphones now, really excited to see what it all sounds like live.

Øxn fantastic tonight. Brilliant, moody, atmospheric stuff, delivered in a laid back , dead on Irish sort of way. No pretentiousness. Loved it.

Øxn was superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TenPicnics

Agree, Øxn were excellent last night, Vicar St a great venue for them. Support act - Anna Palindrome? - were decent, would give them a listen if they appear at festivals this year.

GENN were pretty good Upstairs@Whelans tonight. A couple of songs weren't for me but overall i'm glad i went. Indie, post punk and Eastern influences. I enjoyed them more than Crowbar in Opium last Saturday. Wouldn't be surprised to see them pop up at a festival here this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Did you catch any of the support act? How stripped back were they? I would've been at this gig but had a family thing to go to instead. Which seems to be common theme for gigs I see you post about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Do Øxn share a vocalist with Lankum? Just had a wee listen there.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

Yeah, Radie Peat of Lankum shares vocals with Katie Kim. What did you make of it? Took me a while to really get into it but loving it now. Live experience defo elevates it it to a different level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Like Lankum, I need to be in the right form to listen to it. Sounds like the Øxn live experience is very like the latest PJ Harvey album.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Radie played 4 different instruments on the night. She's hugely impressive.

But her voice would go through ya. Can't listen to her.

Yeah i saw Last Apollo. It was a full band (two guitars, bass, drums and keyboards). Too dramatic and Florence-like in parts for me but if NewDad can create such a buzz i see know reason why Last Apollo couldn't achieve same.

Ah I used to feel that too a bit with Lankum. I certainly wouldn't feel that with Øxn. The music's a different beast. She was incredible live.

Her voice is grand. Big trend of Irish vocalists braying like something out a farmyard. Lisa o Neill and the blert from Fontaines. Pair o'them would strip paint off a car.

Radie not the main vocalist in Øxn. The gig was superb. Also last show I can remember being as jammed there was fleet foxes.

Horses for courses, I guess! I really like Lisa O Neill's voice. Was at ATN last year - lovely!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Anyone interested in two free tickets for The Smile on Thurs?

I won them from 3 but can't make it now

Only slight hitch is that they have to be collected from the concierge desk at the 3arena in my name. It doesn't say to bring ID so I think it should be fine, but I guess it's a small risk.

I think they're standing tickets but it's not confirmed. It mentions having access to the 3+ lounge though, I think that's usually only for standing customers (and I think it's sold badly, so can't imagine them checking anyway)

Reply here if you'd like them, first come first serve, and I'll PM the details

Advertisement