Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2024 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just got this to my inbox. How much were they before? 57 or something outlandish like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭crl84

Quick Google suggests that they started at 49.

More for higher spec models, I presume €43,500 is for the base model.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭maidhc

EVs will sell when they are 1) consistently cheaper to buy and own than an ice and 2) convenient. People are pretty straightforward.

a huge increase in petrol prices will do it. I am sure an oil crisis coupled with good grants for pv generation would do it.

as of 2024 the sums don’t favour evs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Firblog

Where is the 360Km stretch of motorway? Drove from Cork to Charlestown last week in a Kona, had 100km range left when I pulled in for a coffee, muffin & a charge. Did the Limerick to Galway section @ 130Kmph on the Kona speedo..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No, the actual loss is 22k. That's the amount of cash they fronted, less the value of their car.

If they trade up to a €45k car they will have spent €29k more than the combined value of both cars.

If they had bought a Tiguan for similar money, that car would be worth €10k more than the ID4 today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

On pcp anyway aren’t you protected from high depreciation? Your gfmv is worst case scenario value after the three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Ev fan

Of course you are correct that the senior manager's loss was 22k over 2 years but it does bear more analysis. The 1st thing to say is as has been mentioned here already is that anyone buying a new car needs to be able to accept normal depreciation levels over a number of years. On high cost cars then depreciation costs will be high in actual cash terms. In this case 30% would be normal for 2 years which means an expected 16.5k loss plays against an actual loss of 22k. So now we have an unexpected additional loss of 5.5k. The car has higher than normal average mileage of 30k- with 20k being normal. This drops the car's value by at least another 1k. So we are now down to an additional loss of 4.5k. What would be his fuel savings over the 2 years? - assuming that as a senior manager he is reasonably smart he would have a smart meter at home and hence would benefit from cheaper electricity? In any event it would not be beyond the bounds of possibility that he could have fuel savings of 0.5k per 10000kms - so 3k savings in total. So now we are now down to an unexpected loss of 1.5k in an original 60k cost car. Still not good and he is obviously emotional when he makes the idiotic comment about instantaneous fires - if he really believed that he wouldn't have got the car in the 1st place. As regards the 2 year old diesel with little depreciation- good luck with going into a dealer with a 2yr old diesel and expecting that trade in value. Carzone is chocker block with well overpriced used cars with too little depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Hold up......

Is it really a thing now that you can be a managing director of a big company.....

And not have some sort of car related benefits built into your contract.

Whether it's a direct company car or a car allowance......

Especially with the BIk incentives available on EVs in 2022

I agree with you- why did the manager not avail of the very generous BIK benefits and buy the car through the business? this does not make sense without further explanation. Maybe he was expensing his considerable mileage bringing the cost of running the car to a minimum? I was responding Maybe somewhat tongue in cheek to the facts as reported- that he bought the car outright with his own cash. Even in this scenario I was trying to make the point that he lost very little more than normal depreciation. He also had the benefit of driving a very comfortable,smooth and quiet car for 60000km. Stories like this which are light/economical on the facts are more suited to the daily mail/ the sun newspapers.

There's a couple of things there. Yes, there does seem to be some sort of thought out there that EVs were expected to be very low depreciation cars. In the example cited, I'd expect a similarly specced Tiguan to an ID4 to be making low €40s today. No one will sell a 2yr old diesel example with 60k Kms for 55k today. So the unexpected cost to this man is €10k. Not all of this can come down to price cuts, as six months ago a 21 reg ID4 77kwh 1st 30k kms could be bought for low 30's (I know, I bought one). That same car is fetching at most €27k now. About half of that depreciation in the last 6 months can be assigned directly to VWs price cut.

The important thing to state though is the depreciation curve without the price cuts was well ahead of other VWs. No amount of man maths or wishful thinking about cost to change alters that.

• Advertisement

Per your maths the manager is sitting on a 10k loss by buying the ID4 rather than the diesel Tiguan (for example). Depreciation on Tiguans seems to be significantly lower than normal and I'm not going to speculate why that is - maybe someone with market knowledge might enlighten me. In the meantime a Tiguan owner would not have gained the significant savings of EV BIK or tax allowances or mileage expenses (take your pick which the manager had because I don't believe for a moment that he didn't get some significant monetary benefit). Also you as an EV owner will have some experience of the additional savings that accrue from much reduced fuel costs especially bearing in mind the relatively high mileage of 60000km. If you do your own maths on these 2 factors then I think his loss on paper will be a lot less than 10k. That being said the manager did make an unexpected loss due to bigger depreciation/price reduction on the ID4 - maybe just not as big as was claimed. FYI I traded my 2 Yr old ID3 last year for a new Born. I got a 33k trade in value which was a ridiculously low 10% depreciation off the new price for an ID3. The ID3 has been on Carzone for a long time now and is currently asking 27k. I think it will need to drop another 2k before it will sell. The new Born has dropped in price by 2k which of course will reduce the trade in value of my car when I go change it - probably in 2026. Ultimately I went in with my eyes open and I am not unduly concerned that my Born may be worth less than I thought at that time.

Don't get me wrong, I think the example person used in the article is a poor one. Assuming that the driver does average social domestic and pleasure driving the extra over is work travel then they'd have received €12k in travel expenses. As a director they'd surely have "free" work charging giving a fuel bill of nil netting them a further €6k saving over diesel. True, they'd have been entitled to the travel expenses regardless of fuel type but my sympathy is minimal in this case, they haven't done too badly. Emotion seems to be ruling them anyway with the throwaway comment about them "bursting into flames".

This person is the exception though. There are plenty of people out there that have taken a hiding on their car values in the last year - cars that the media were happy to push as the future 12 months ago but also happy now to effectively rubbish them.

One line I thought interesting that was glossed over was the 60k km of uneventful driving. A year ago, they'd have led the article with that.

Good response. Just to add to your point on some people taking a hiding. Eddie Cunningham in the Indo today- woman bought a new ID5 last year for eur 62k. Of course the car doesn't suit her now and wants to change. Car now valued at eur 40k. Yikes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,327 ✭✭✭✭ted1

EVs are far cheaper to run. The purchase price is on par with ICE. the sums do add up

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Thread for taxation is here taxation-of-alternative-fuelled-vehicles is over here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058278820/taxation-of-alternative-fuelled-vehicles couple of posts moved

• Registered Users Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭josip

February figures are up on beep beep. https://stats.beepbeep.ie/

EV percentage of sales still lagging 2023 and have slipped even further relative to January

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭sk8board

Just saw that.

Jan EV market share was 13.0% (4,100 EV sales), versus 13.4% in Jan 2023

Feb EV market share was just 11.3% (1,860 EV sales), versus 16.8% in Feb 2023, which is quite a fall in share, when a hockeystick adoption curve was probably expected.

the year on year share would’ve been truly awful if it wasn’t for Tesla & BYD delivering 413 & 575 cars respectively, versus zero in 2023.

Big drops for all of the 2023 stalwarts - VW, Kia, Hyundai, BMW, Nissan, Renault, Cupra, etc etc.

only MG, Mercedes & Volvo bucking the trend, which is a surprise to me

2024 v 2023: by manufacturer

2024 v 2023 by propulsion:

Again, Tesla and byd really saving the blushes here

For sure.

I think the EV depreciation will keep happening in the 2nd hand market as it seems that more price cuts will be needed in the new car market to shift volume and meet targets.

the Feb new car registrations are in, and EVs have taken a beating when you consider all the price cuts of existing options, coupled with new options like BYD. If it wasn’t for Tesla and byd, the year on year number wouldn’t been heavily negative

Post edited by sk8board on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's what happens when you offer a compelling product at a good price point. Good to see consumers trying out BYD's offering.

Interesting that the refreshed Kona is the bestselling EV so far this year. Seems that we're still very much in the cycle of sales coming with new models.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,865 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Keep in mind that Tesla have had delivery delays so their figures would have been even higher for February if not for the delays and I'd imagine a lot of initial ID4 1st buyers will have orders for the new model ID4 due in March/April which will tie in with their PCP deals ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Too many EV models are untouchable at the moment due to price uncertainty.

Anyone that has a comparable offering to the Tesla model 3 and y and id3/id4 and hasn't dropped prices to those levels must be selling nothing. I think it will change but they've missed a couple of prime selling months there.

I'll have a good look at the breakdowns by model later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Casati

People come off PCP whenever they want to change out of their cars, many launch ID4 owners have already traded while many others will be planning to keep their cars long term,so I wound t expect a massive surge in ID4 orders based on that reason next month

Definitely an element of that, Hyundai, Kia, and BMW still seem to be running on '23 prices and haven't moved with the market. VW have been very coy with price cuts. Not surprising to see the main cars still selling well are those where the Model 3 and Y don't compete.

My father has one ordered and his dealer has said that he's about 15 other orders from initial ID4 buyers upgrading as well. Maybe it's bullshit but he's been honest in all the years they've been dealing together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The dealers are just waiting on boardroom decisions I suppose.

Kia and Hyundai were the 2 I was thinking of alright. They have great EVs in the Ioniq 5 and the ev6 but too pricey just at the minute.

BMW will be back in the running when they get some new models out and price differently.

Audi are a funny one, for all their talk about becoming an electric only brand they haven't really kicked off. Q4 never sold in big numbers, the price gap to an id4 is now huge. That should be their volume seller. Q8 and GT are range topping models that won't ever sell in big numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Not surprised, that's what happens when you try to price yourself out of a market and then let the competition from China take over

New ID.4 looks like a better deal than last couple of years, but unless you like VW there's not many reasons to spend more on one than the competition

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

PCP’s are geared towards moving to another new car at the end of the 3 years - given the flux in the 2nd hand market around range, warranty and everything else, I’d fully expect owners of ID4’s to simply move into another one and kick that can down the road once again.

there will be absolutely no one paying off the balloon on an ID4 that they overpaid for

My father was offered 26k. He paid around 44k so 40% depreciation over three years. Not to bad and he's happy with his offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,327 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tesla, VW,BYD and others have all price certainty. Who do you think doesn’t ?

• Advertisement

Those early ones where cheaper, I believe, so he had a fairly normal experience, in and out.

Advertisement